PDA

View Full Version : Schooly Mackeral

mon
24-10-2005, 04:36 PM
Took the family out for a fish yesterday first time for ages and the weather was said to be great. Started atMud Island about 6:00 AM and stayed for a few hours for only a few small squire and a little kingfish. Good fun for the wife on 3 kg gear. The wind had dropped to just about nothing so took a drive over the bay and to the Rous Channel. Only there for about half an hour and the water starts getting chopped up all over the place. Plenty of mackeral chasing bait fish up on to the sand banks. Got three of them all about 58cm. The kids and the wife luved it.

Cheers, MON.

mon
24-10-2005, 04:38 PM
photo

mon
24-10-2005, 04:41 PM
photo2

Fish_Lightning
24-10-2005, 04:49 PM
Great Day Mon! kids look like they enjoyed it and a feed taken home as well. Best part was the bay was flat and wind was down!!

Greg

Bundaberg_Bandit
24-10-2005, 10:21 PM
Ummmmm... that one on the right looks like a spottie to me :-/ :-/ :-/

Did it have a white patch in the dorsal fin - if it did you're OK it a schoolie, if it didn't it is an undersize spottie.

Photo might be deceiving though and I'm happy to be wrong, and they do tend to change colours sometimes after being killed

cheers

BB

Jono_SS
26-10-2005, 09:28 PM
BB - it's a scoolie for sure. schoolie have spots too, though larger ones and fewer than on spotties.

have a look on :
http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fisheriesmonitoringprogram/16197.html

Bundaberg_Bandit
26-10-2005, 09:44 PM
good table that [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I always just check for the patch - its easiest

Actually first I just see if its over 60cm - if it is, I don't care much what it is - it just became dinner

cheers

BB