PDA

View Full Version : Outer Whitsunday Flats session

cy_taylor1
27-10-2005, 09:12 PM
Hello,

Here are some photos of a fun recent sight fishing session at the outer Whitsunday Islands. We were mainly fly fishing with 8/9 weight outfits, using a range of different fly patterns and colours. The second photo is of two giant trevally of around 45 cm, both hooked on a Halco Roosta Popper.

Small Golden Trevally were hooked using decievers on an intermediate line and other small Giant Trevally were caught on small spin outfits.

Thanks
Cy Taylor
Whitsundays QLD

cy_taylor1
27-10-2005, 09:16 PM
Here are the two small Giant Trevally which were hooked using a large Halco Roosta Popper!

cy_taylor1
27-10-2005, 09:19 PM
Here is a photo of a small Golden trevally caught while sightfishing the flats, using a red/white deciever.

cy_taylor1
27-10-2005, 09:23 PM
Another small Golden Trevally hooked using the same outfit and technique.

cy_taylor1
27-10-2005, 09:35 PM
This photo displays the consequences of fishing buddies casting large poppers around the flats, NOT WATCHING THEIR BACKCASTS! >:(

We had to drive for 2 hours across fairly choppy seas back towards the hospital with a large lure embedded in the back of my head and a deeply cut ear!
8-)

matthill80
27-10-2005, 09:39 PM
top fishing mate pity about the ear lmao worth it tho by the looks of it

cheers matt

Fishinmishin
27-10-2005, 10:33 PM
Ouch. Better then an eye ;).
Nice report and don't worry, chicks did scars ;D.
Cheers, Jay

outsiderskip
28-10-2005, 05:17 AM
nice fish but lures look like dildos

cheers pete

Lucky_Phill
28-10-2005, 06:02 AM
Well done with that report.

Not too sure when you said " Flats ", can ya get a little more specific ?

My main fishing area for that sort of thing ( poppa's ) was inside Whitsunday Island itself and at Langford Reef. Langford provided great sight fishing, towards Bird Island for GT's etc. Whitsunday Island up near opposite Hook Island was great for Trout, Macks, Stripeys and Cod, all rising to poppa's. There we only fish in about 6-8th of water.

Also targeted Tancred and Shute islands with success over the shallow reefs.

Nice pic of the " Collateral Damage " !

Cheers Phill

Scott15
28-10-2005, 07:40 AM
nice fish, nice ear

JB
28-10-2005, 09:18 AM
top fishing mate! ... And.. nice ear CHOPPER ;) :P ... u should got him to finish the job :P

cy_taylor1
28-10-2005, 04:39 PM
Hello,

Phill, we targeted sandy flats in about 1m - 2.3m of water inside large bays which usually have large drop-offs at the entrances of these bays. 'Fly rod' species such as Queenfish, Golden Trevally and Giant Trevally were the prime sightfishing targets, with other reef species hooked as a fun by-catches.
8-)

Thanks
Cy Taylor
Whitsundays QLD

(Photo- The 'flats' area is behind this photo; the photo is shot on the drop-off to the 'flats'.)

fincho
28-10-2005, 07:28 PM
Hey,

Was gonna say looked like an AWESOME trip before saw the pic of the ear. Doesnt look too comfortable :P ANyway nice fish looks like ya got the fly gear working well for ya! I really wanna get myself a set up to try it out up at noosa, maybe nail some trevs. Money is a bit of a problem at the moment though ;D

FINCHO

Steven78
28-10-2005, 08:44 PM
I hope your mate bought you a carton

fritzy
30-10-2005, 09:48 AM
Giday Cy
Mate that takes me back to one year on Fraser Island about ten years ago. We were having a ball just with our family, had found a few real beaut tailor holes and had a couple of my best tailor sessions ever [smiley=cheesy.gif] [smiley=cheesy.gif]. My cousins and their fmaily came up about mid week and we had a good session that afternoon with them to. Playing footy at Dundaburra campground on wednesday morning, one cousin pushes the other cousin and he slips and falls bashing his head into the side of the patrol door which had unfortunately been left open [smiley=hammer.gif]. The old patrol has a real narrow edge on it... end result was left ear held together by about 1 mm of skin at the top. [smiley=ears.gif] Nearly got a helicopter to fly him out but ended up doing the eight hour drive back to brisbane hospital, no more fishing that week for those wonderful tailor. Needless to say, Jackash and myself not too happy about the situation, car door has NEVER been left open on Fraser Island since then...
Cheers Fritzy.
PS. Ear looks fine now, cannot even tell that it took 23 stitches to put it back together.