PDA

View Full Version : Barwon Banks Disappointing

SeaSaw
30-10-2005, 05:55 PM
It was tempting not to put up a report, but why just post the good ones. :-[

We headed out to the northern end of Barwon Banks Late on Friday night with the plan to fish until about lunchtime on Saturday (needed to be back to go to a party Saturday night) It was a bit of a slow trip out due to the swell standing up a bit but once out it was a great day.

Crew for the day was Johno and Daniel (Caloundra). We also were travelling with John & Dave (bigcods) in their Explorer 625. It was good to meet a few more Ausfishers, even if the fishing was ordinary (understatement) :(

Well We tried almost everything, but the fish just were not biting. We fished some good pinacles north of the Banks at first, but they produced only a couple of undersized reds and pearlies. We then headed out deep to the 90m area and picked up 4 pearlies and a couple of squire, before that shutdown completely. Then headed into the 55m area on the northern end of Banks and not even a bite. Did a troll down to the moddle of the Banks without a strike. Fished the 55m 45m and 35m areas and hardly got a bite ..... even the iodone bream weren't biting and there were some huge shows on the sounder. There was not trouble finding good shows of fish but they just wouldn't take a bait. :( :( 8-)

With Only 6 fish for the trip I have just gone back through my fishing records back to January 2000 to see if we had ever done worse out at the Banks. (I didn't keep records before 2000) The three worst trips were 5 fish (between 2 people) in Feb 2002, 6 fish (between 2) in June 2002, and this trip 6 fish (between 3). Depending how you look at it this was my worst ever trip at 2 per person, or equal second worst in numbers. We all have bad days ;D

Well now I have a good reason to fish again next weekend in the Sunshine Coast fishing comp ;) as this trip won't make much of a B&B article ;D.

It was good to meet you Daniel and Dave. I hope we have better luck next time out.

Cheers,

Mark

SeaSaw
30-10-2005, 05:57 PM
Better put up a picture of the catch .... not very impressive though ::)

Dave
30-10-2005, 06:05 PM
You have a slow trip? Must have been pretty bad ;D. Glad I didnt go, had enough af these trips with very little to show for. Hopeing to make it next weekend if weather is good. The fish might be hungrier then.

Dave

620sf
30-10-2005, 06:08 PM
We've all had days like them Mark. hopefully the weather and fish will play the game next weekend for the comp.

Luke

philip_thomson
30-10-2005, 06:09 PM
bugga mark. from what i heard on the radio almost everyone was struggling yesterday. we struggled and caught 6 fish also. better luck next weekend

was just one of those days. :-/

DALEPRICE
30-10-2005, 06:26 PM
still a good couple fish their mark.
dale

snappa
30-10-2005, 06:33 PM
i'm glade its not just me that have some BAD days... :-[

read the posts and every one seems to catch fish..????

maybe its only when .... :-/

outsiderskip
30-10-2005, 06:47 PM
hi mark

hard to take a bad day with price of fuel
i did the right thing staying home
enjoying a few rums
till next time

cheers pete

mackmauler
30-10-2005, 06:53 PM
Thats a cracker of a day if you fish wello or mud Mark ;D

I fished with fishinmishin yesterday and we had a good day on kingfish with about 80kg worth but not much else, they were biting like it was there last meal though!

that was down off moreton island though.

dfox
30-10-2005, 06:54 PM
Thats fishing mark!! The great thing is theres always next time ;)...foxy

Scott15
30-10-2005, 07:19 PM
Too bad mark, least ya got some though, chemmy got onto some nice ones

caloundra
30-10-2005, 07:57 PM
thanks mark for the great day even though the fish weren't playing the game still great to be out on the water

I think chemmy must have wiped it out last weekend [smiley=lolk.gif]

Daniel

jeffo
30-10-2005, 08:22 PM
mark, we got a nice AJ where we were trolling near you guys on the inside edge of the banks (that was us in the 34 blackwatch). we raised a sail right next to you and hooked a nice mahi mahi before you got there.

SeaSaw
30-10-2005, 08:50 PM
Jeffo, That was at the end of the fishing session and we had pretty well given up by then. I said to the guys that that might have been you. We heard the excitement when you raised the sail, shame it didn't put on a show for us. There were plenty of flying fish around there yesterday ..... at one stage it looked like they were chasing the Blackwatch. Top photo of the dollie :o

Rob, I'd of been happy with a few kingies ...... anything ...... even a bite would have been good. Yep Daniel, must be chemmy cleaning the place out :o ::) ;D

Mark

sempre
30-10-2005, 08:55 PM
I've had plenty of those days Mark . Still better than sitting at home .

sam...

Pual
30-10-2005, 09:10 PM
Yeh, fantastic action photo of the Dolphinfish.
What kind of camera do you use to get that kind of photo.

Surprising to here the north and middle of the Banks did not fire on Saturday as we faired pretty well on the southern end.
About 45 kgs of snapper and pearlies.
Although the pearlies were very patchy and would be there one drift and gone the next, but when we found the snapper they really bit their heads off. Which shocked me even more as last weekend (23/10) when we were in the same area we couldn't find any and I thought the snapper purple patch was over for this season. Hasn't it been a cracker.
Oh well, thats fishing.
Pual

bugman
31-10-2005, 08:13 AM
Jeffo,

How did you drop that dolphin? It looks likeit's tied itself in knots - you should have been able to skull drag it in. ;)

Shame we had to drink rather than fish ;D

reeldreamer
31-10-2005, 08:16 AM
Just goes to prove we are all mortal after all hey Mark??? It's about time ;D Better luck next time mate, i am sure your good trips far out weigh the bad ones!

Mitch

Mick81
31-10-2005, 09:59 AM
Bad luck mate, we have all of those days >:( but mind you we now know not to go out with a northly wind, we have never ever done any good with a northly, if you do, you really have to work for them moveing spot to spot. Anyways good to see you got some sort of a feed. Our moto is "Anything with a "N" in the wind means NOTHING! :)

jeffo
31-10-2005, 06:09 PM
brett- that photo was taken the second the line broke.... got tip wrapped >:( hence all the loose line.

hoga
31-10-2005, 07:07 PM
heard you out there on 21 still bets mowing grass do you think it was the dreaded northerlys i only seem to get below catches inthem hoga

Smithy
01-11-2005, 06:29 AM
you should have been able to skull drag it in

They are good honest fish and this one was just on or just over line class. Certainly had Channon doing doughnuts around it anyway. Just out of gaffing range.

-spiro-
01-11-2005, 09:04 AM
Well Mark what do you say ::)................? There's allways next weekend ;D It will give you chance to eat the fish lower down in the freezer ;D We pulled the pin on Sunday's trip at 9 pm Saturday night due to conditions :'(