PDA

View Full Version : OFFSHORE ACTION 2

dfox
07-11-2005, 11:03 AM
I was abit of a late starter, got back from working on moreton island late friday, took a look at the weather forcast and decided to load the boat for a trip.Rang a few crew members and as luck would have it adam(adamleah) wasnt allowed to go ;D. So on short notice the crew was dad and paul. I didnt have a chance to enter the sunshine coast comp...
Left mooloolaba at around 10am saturday and found the conditions quite good although there was a fair swell present. Spoke to john on seasaw on the way out to learn they were into the fish so things were promising to start with. An uneventful trip on the way out althougth there was a lot of ausfishers on the radio.
Started fishing around lunch time on the hards and although the fish were there they were bighting tentative which was a little fustrating.With all the radio traffic i turned the vhf down and we listened to the test match and enjoyed a relaxing afternoon out on the water.
The old boy was showing us up on his paternoster rig and landed more quality parrot then ive ever seen on the hards, he was like a repetative machine.
As the day rolled on and we tried different spots a steady flow of different species came over the side. i was fortunate to get a number of good moses perch which i rate up there with the best for eating quality. The larger snapper eluded us in any quantity this trip but as night approached we hoped to remedy that.
By late arvo dad still hadnt let up on those poor parrot (he was having a blinder) and paul and myself fishing with lighter rigs were nailing pearlies of which a few were monsters as well as a steady flow of mixed reef species.
With darkness and a healthy esky dad a paul settled down for a camp, this was my oppertunity to do a bit of exploring, i put in a least 3 hours of sounding and was rewarded with two good showings in 75meters that would warrent further investigation as well as several smaller but promising looking structures.
After id had enough paul took over and continued sounding for a while and marked some other spots to the collection. After that i headed back to one of the spots and anchored on it and had a camp before getting up around 4am to wet a line. The line never hit bottom as a large pearly took a liking to it, mean while dad and paul made ready and dad was the first to hit bottom and hook up. He made the call early and said this ones a red. He was right too all 12.5kg of it. Meanwhile paul had a fight of his own going on ,on the other side of the boat and yet another large red hit the deck. My next drop saw me in action with one as well unfortunately he smoked me and rubed off on the bottom, bugger!
The action continued as the sun rose and rather then flog the one spot a call was made to try some of the other spots marked in during the night. The next good showing also saw instant hookups, but this time in turned out to be moari cod, this is always a good indication of a spot not regularly fished as large moari's are easily taken. It was around this time that dad hooked a large AJ and while fighting it a school of good mahi mahi came around the boat. i riged up quickly and hooked the bull. While fighting it, paul riged up as well and it wasnt long before we had a few 8kg mahi dancing around out the back, top fun!
From this area we worked south down to the northern banks and never saw another boat, the place was deserted. With the wind up our back it was a quick trip from there home, as we loaded the boat onto the trailer the heavens opened and it bucketed down, a free wash ! you beauty!
Catch ya...foxy

Didnt take many pics heres a few
early in the trip the esky with parrot

dfox
07-11-2005, 11:05 AM
moses

dfox
07-11-2005, 11:06 AM
moari

dfox
07-11-2005, 11:07 AM
early morning red

dfox
07-11-2005, 11:11 AM
More moari's (last)

Streaker
07-11-2005, 11:19 AM
Well done Foxy
will have to catch up soon
Wayne

snappa
07-11-2005, 11:19 AM
dave

give me ring if your after crew ....i will postponed my funneral to go....

Reefmaster
07-11-2005, 01:13 PM
Good on ya boys another top effort :D
Good to see your oldman showing you blokes up again like mine. ::)
Thats some nice Red Milton there's no better sight of them coming over the side. Dave that Red you lost was because of that bloody Braid you like to use. Put some mono on mate and you will never loose another. ;) :).

Speak to you soon
Greg

vertico
07-11-2005, 01:36 PM
nice job foxxy
let us know if you ever need a decky

maztez
07-11-2005, 01:36 PM
+what a top report and catch ;D ;D good to see the old fellas showing up the younger blokes ...happens most times when Im out with my son and grandson
once again GOOD ON YAS ALL
Terry

grunta_75
07-11-2005, 01:39 PM
Great catch there mate - good to see you & the boys well rewarded for the effort...

morty103
07-11-2005, 02:35 PM
:o Great report
That Red is a thumper ;D
Well done mate
Morty

620sf
07-11-2005, 04:54 PM
Good report Dave, some nice fish you got, especially your oldman. Nice size moari cod.

Luke

blue_rogue
07-11-2005, 04:55 PM
Your the best Foxy.... You keep on giving....

Well done

Dom

mattooty
07-11-2005, 05:04 PM
Great fish. Loved the look of the fish box with the parrots :D Would love to have them in my fridge right now. How big was the bull dolphin? Any pics of the dolphins or AJ?
Matt

shut_up_and_fish
07-11-2005, 05:13 PM
TOP STUFF
well done foxy...........you obviously arent playing hard enough on the touch footy field as you seem to have too much energy to be pulling up all those........still waiting for the call up regarding that tyre changing position..........

cheers
les

spaniard
07-11-2005, 05:45 PM
[smiley=thumbsup.gif] yet another great fishing trip Dave , had a ball mate. Can't wait to have a good scout around that area, it certainly looks promising for some more action.

Greg,
You forget that Milton and I also fish with braid and find it quite easy to pull the reds in, probably easier then doing it with mono ;D ;D.

dfox
07-11-2005, 06:03 PM
Wayne- good to hear from you, howd you go saturday? apart from the wash the boat incident..
Greg- braid or not mate, that was one mean fish! probably a world record, lol. demolished my leader the bugger.
Terry- these old fellas sure have there days! and they let you know it, lol
Dom- you must be due for a trip up this way, i still want a trip off goldy when the spanish are running.
Matt- the mahi were a little to excited to take pics of! they thrash around to much for my liking and the aj i didnt take a pic of either .
Les- im feeling it today, believe me, mustnt be fit enough lol

adamleah
07-11-2005, 06:06 PM
:'( :'( :'( :'(

The reds always come aboard when I'm not!!! :'( :'( :'(

If I could have made it there and the missus hadnt of flooded the house the night before and my car could drive... ... I too could have had a big red in my fridge !!!!!

Next weekend better be good weather to take me out again... ..Cause after that I have 2 weekends of parties/weddings ... :'( :'(

dfox
07-11-2005, 06:24 PM
Plenty of reasons you couldnt make it there adam, as far as having a red in the freezer? well i seem to have a pic of your freezer and im wondering how it would fit? lol ;D ;D ;D

chemmy
07-11-2005, 06:27 PM
nice work mate, how heavy was that maori cod???

Scott15
07-11-2005, 06:34 PM
Excellent fish dave :o :o, good size cod, nice red ;)

RAGINGBULL
07-11-2005, 07:23 PM
Good one mate and thanks for a top storyand pics

Didnt take any Mahi home i see

Mark

bidkev
07-11-2005, 07:24 PM
Top report Foxy (as usual) ;) and don't those parrot taste good? Well done mate, despite your old man showing you up ;) ;D

kev

SeaSaw
07-11-2005, 09:56 PM
Another top catch Dave. Well done [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] Things had come on the bite when you called up and I was on to a reasonable fish at the time so Johno had to take the call ;)

Cheers,

Mark

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
07-11-2005, 10:11 PM
Great story and terrific photos. Thanks mate.

Cheers
Dave

outsiderskip
08-11-2005, 05:42 AM
great fishing trip dave
box got a lot of colour in it good to
see quality fish and a good report

cheers pete

truggah
08-11-2005, 12:57 PM
You guys must eat a lot of fish

dfox
08-11-2005, 01:21 PM
Thanks fellas!
chemmy the cod were all roughly around 5kg, poor buggers really suffer once you get them up, no chance of releasing one back, but there alright chewing buddy..

zulu
08-11-2005, 05:03 PM
Great effort Dave and crew, you guys put in the HARD yards ;D, you deserve the fruits of your labour,

Cheers Troy.

lazeabout_4.5
08-11-2005, 05:22 PM
awesome catch ;)

BigE
08-11-2005, 06:54 PM
Nice work foxy ........... i always thought Adamleah (or is that Leahadam) was a bit under the thumb, fancy missin red action because of a bit of water and some dodgey car won't start excuse. shame adam shame... ;D

Big E

cyclone
08-11-2005, 08:20 PM
Thats one hell of a moses perch there foxy do you get them that big often. Top pics. Andrew

dfox
08-11-2005, 09:20 PM
Andrew, yeah mate there reasonably common, and the offshore ones are usually a good size, the best ive ever caught wieghed accurately went just over 5lb it was a monster, i should have said dad got it ;)

Hookem_Herby
08-11-2005, 09:38 PM
Awesome stuff as usual Foxy!!! :o :o
And there I was waiting by the fone all day for that elusive call ::) :-? :-X hahaha
Good to see you still offering the old man first option on the decky spots. You're a champ Dave.

Cheers and Beers,
Herby

Fixation
09-11-2005, 01:58 PM
Great fishin guys. I love to see all that colour in the esky too. Awesome!

DALEPRICE
09-11-2005, 04:50 PM
top stuff dave,
you certainly have it down pat out their.
dale