PDA

View Full Version : Point Lookout - Wahoooooooooooooo

Reefmaster
09-11-2005, 08:37 PM
Well with the weather looking half decent myself and Brook(Outsider) decided to have a crack at a Wahoo out from Straddie. We got to the ramp at 4am to find the tips of the tree's almost touching the ground. >:( It was blowing a good 20 knots of NE and as we headed across the bay and it started to rain and rain and rain. >:( We crossed the bar and headed for the group while trolling hex heads and as we got to the area we wanted to spend some time in the reel start's to click but only ever so gentle. Looking behind i see that a very small mac tuna has hooked up but hasn't got the strength to even pull drag and has turned into a skipping bait. :D. After that we trolled Hard body's for hours upon hours around the group with bait and birds everywhere but there was nothing else feeding on them. It was windy as hell and peeing down rain but we just kept persisting and decided we were beating a dead horse so we headed wider into around the 80mtr line and after about an hour the reel screams for a few seconds but spits the hooks. A quick look and the gold laser pro shows that a wahoo was the culprit. We trolled a bit further when one reel screams then another then another then another. 4 way hook up :D ::) We both jumped on a rod each and in the mean time the two other rods have lost the fish. As i get my fish close to the boat one of the other rods which had lost a fish starts screaming again. The lure would have been floating on the surface but the fish still liked it and took off a hundred mile an hour but we were still on our fish and several seconds later it spits the hooks. Anyway i get my fish in which turns out to be a little hoo and Brook also pulls one in. All the lures were brand new and all had severe battle scares but who was complaining. We trolled the area for a couple more hours with another two hook ups but not staying connected. After that we headed wider with a couple of Pakula's and hard bodies out. We went towards a spot sounding on the Garmin GPS which showed 113mtrs and the area around showing 140-180 mtrs of water. This is an area i have wanted to check out for a while but when we got closer i started thinking garmin have made a mistake because all around this 113 mtr spot sounding was 183 mtrs. Nice mistake they made there but it killed some time now i know there's nothing there. We trolled our way back in and trolled in the area where we got the wahoo earlier and after many laps around the area the Blue Pilly hard body gets smashed. I hand it over to Brook (since it was his boat and i didn't feel like swimming :)) and up comes another Hoo at a better size. After that we trolled back around the group for an hour or so and then headed for home. It was tough day but persistance did pay off.

Cheers Greg

The first 2 small hoo that came from a 4 way hook up

Reefmaster
09-11-2005, 08:39 PM
better hoo

Reefmaster
09-11-2005, 08:41 PM
Nasty mouth

Sportfish_5
09-11-2005, 08:47 PM
Top stuff guys ;)

Ding Ding - Season has started :P :P :P :P :P

There are some big models out there ATM :P ::)

Cheers

Greg

dfox
09-11-2005, 08:49 PM
Good work boys! deffently a hard day at the office, i looked at the wind this morning and thought you wouldnt go, you proved me wrong! ;D ;D...foxy

philip_thomson
09-11-2005, 08:56 PM
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

awesome hoos there guys

things are starting to get excited.

magicpudding
09-11-2005, 09:22 PM
Good work!

When we headed out there a week and a half ago, that bait looked awesome. I was amazed we couldn't even pick tuna up off it. It seems we might be in for a good summer season :)

CJ

flickflack
09-11-2005, 09:27 PM
Top fish mate they should down the Tweed way in a little while

szopen
09-11-2005, 09:38 PM
Very nice fish.

Sea looks a bit rough though.

Mad_fisherman
09-11-2005, 09:55 PM
Hey Reefmaster,
I am up that way in a week if you do not mind what type of lures etc where you using mate i would not have a clue where to start but i am more then keen to have a shot. even will take you out for a fish as a trade laughs you just point the way!

Cheers

MAD!

mjc85
09-11-2005, 10:04 PM
Are wahoo any good eating ?

chemmy
09-11-2005, 10:19 PM
great fish were you using mono or braid?

and what size hex heads were you using?

Spaniard_King
09-11-2005, 10:28 PM
great fish were you using mono or braid?

and what size hex heads were you using?

ERR Chemmy, me thinks you should read the first post again... ;)

sompin about Lazer pros with hardbodies ...LOLOLOLOLOL

Garry

Sportfish_5
09-11-2005, 10:31 PM
More gold ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

bidkev
09-11-2005, 10:32 PM
Good report and cracking pics Greg. Keep 'em coming.

cheers

kev

SeaSaw
09-11-2005, 11:36 PM
Nice effort guys. :) :) :) Looks like it is time to dust off some lures.

Mark

Smithy
10-11-2005, 06:40 AM
Ah Splinter size Wahoo. That is what I would expect for this time of years so those big ones out at Hutchies are a good surprise. Imagine how big they are going to be come April/May if they get on a good paddock of Slimeys and Jelly Bean Mack Tuna.

chemmy
10-11-2005, 08:25 AM
We crossed the bar and headed for the group while trolling hex heads
i was refering to these ;)

Sportfish_5
10-11-2005, 10:05 AM
Chemmy

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/yabb2/YaBB.cgi?num=1131183091

SSHHHHH

Greg

Scott15
10-11-2005, 10:10 AM
Top work guys, got a few things on my list for this season and a hoo is on the top

DougHanning
10-11-2005, 03:18 PM
Greg did you have a troll over the sevens? What was the temp like? Smithy you got me wishing summer away already and I haven't got my first 'Brisbane'summer spanish yet.

bazzaman
10-11-2005, 06:32 PM
Great report greg! Did the tuna get hit??? What colours were your trolling on the hex heads?

Good fish and looks like a good season ahead for you guys down there!

Shane

spaniard
10-11-2005, 07:30 PM
Top work guys, [smiley=thumbsup.gif] hopefully that is a good sign for the upcoming season.

Greg, can't believe you were out in that ;D well done regardless'

Thunderbird
10-11-2005, 07:31 PM
Nice one greg and brook any spews? ;D ;D
Gee that tub of yours is lucky i reckon it wouldn't be the first time evry rod's gone off!
Good stuff,.
cheers birdy.

Fisher_Boats
10-11-2005, 07:58 PM
Good one guys #[smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Going to try and get the lads into a few on the weekend,
hope the weathers not too shitty. 8-)

Cheers Col

PS smile brooky :) :) :) :)

Reefmaster
10-11-2005, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the comments guys

Dave we surprised ourselves by still going out in the crappy conditions :D

CJ- Like you say all the signs are there -bait and lots of birds working but not alot of big feeders around. It looks like a waiting game for the bigger fish to move in and hear the reels scream.

Mad-Fisherman- I will send you a PM

Chemmy- The hex heads were medium size and only used when we were travelling to the desired spot at a fast speed. We did have a smaller one out while trolling 4 hard bodys when the 4 way hook up occured and the hex head didn't get hit but the speed may have been too slow for that lure to work on the hoo

mjc85- Wahoo are not bad if bleed and put on ice straight away. Some say they taste better then Mackerel and some say they don't. All i know is that it don't even come close to Red Emporer. ;)

Smithy- I been surprised of the big wahoo been taken of late myself but they stayed clear from us although we did get a big run which sounded like a solid hoo. We settled for the smaller hoo considering how dead it was.

Doug- Did we troll over the sevens? - well i think we did about 50km of trolling just on the sevens itself without a touch- It had alot of bait on those pinnacles but we didn't turn a reel there. Very strange as i thought if hoo are going to be around then that would the spot we would find them. Water temp was 24.5 degree's 8-)

Shane- I took the tuna off not long after hook up and kept it alive and if i got another i would have rig them up and trolled them. Didn't see no real point in trolling one bait around. Hex head colours were light pink/ light purple and also dark pink/ dark purple.

Paul- The conditions were bloody terrible and we didn't even have rain coats and with the wind blowing hard we couldn't get out of the rain. I think i was shivering for about an hour or so but i dryed out later. ( The pics looked good and it does'nt even look rough) Atleast when we hooked up it stopped raining so we couldn't complain to much.

Roota- No spews for Brook this trip and even the last 4 or 5 trips he hasn't had a spew. He got off the Kwells and now takes Travel calm. (spelling) He is now not the spew master. ;D That boat has had more double, triple, quaddroople and what ever 5 way hook up means ;Dthen you could poke a stick at. 8-)

Regards Greg

Reefmaster
10-11-2005, 08:20 PM
Col- i hope the weather is not to crappy for a trip and the boys get amoung them speedsters. Brook smile- you gotta be kidding. :-* ;D

Regards Greg

Burley_Boy
10-11-2005, 10:35 PM
Good stuff Greg. So q is should the new rig chase pelagics in the next few weeks or bottom bash.... hoooooeeeee. Thanks for your report and good luck col. Look forward to your report and picks mate.

Kid
11-11-2005, 10:47 AM
Top effort there mate would of gone through some fuel.

redspeckle
11-11-2005, 05:37 PM
well done we all know what having for [smiley=chef.gif] dinner nice fish [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] their
Reefmaster what you decided to have a change of fishing grounds from the wide bay bar to go over the south passage bar amity channel would have not so nice to you's [smiley=huh2.gif]

Mitch

bigpoly
12-11-2005, 04:47 PM
Hey Reefmaster. I believe you fish off DI a bit. I am holidaying at Rainbow Beach over xmas. I havea 6 m poly cc . I am thinking of taking the boat and fishing out off rainbow. Not able to beach launch so would need to get outside via the bar. I know nothing about it. Can you give me any advice and/ or pics that might help me gain some local knowledge quickly. If you say not to attempt to cross thats fine as well. I have no idea of the state of the bar. I cross Soth Passage frequently. Many Thanks

herveybaymagic
13-11-2005, 09:35 AM
good fish there

outsiderskip
13-11-2005, 12:49 PM
nice fish greg
still waiting to catch my first

cheers pete

vertico
13-11-2005, 12:55 PM
some nice wahoo there good work