PDA

View Full Version : Trolling GC Saturday 12-11

Burley_Boy
12-11-2005, 08:37 PM
Inspired by Greg I figured that if the reefmaster can troll for four hours without a touch then hey so can I ;D
I was keen to get the Haines wet and to try it offshore. We didn't get out the Seaway until about 7:30 and there were ominous clouds all about. The sea was a bit choppy but don't know what happened to the windwarning because it was certainly not blowing any 20knots, maybe I was travelling with the wind ;D I think in my old rig I would have come back inside but the Haines cut through the slop really well and we could head North at about 16knots. Fairly lonely out there I only saw another two boats out and none fishing oh and two trawlers.

Plan was to give trolling a go as I've only got a few more weeks before I head overseas so I need the hoos now :o We first dropped the hardbodies in the water 3/4 of the way up South Straddie as we saw some active birds. After a while we got one hit but no hookup. We continued up to the pin bar and trolled the edges that were getting a fair working over by the local birds. A fair bit of weed around but nothing else that would touch our lures. We then headed out to about 50M and trolled back down still not a touch.
Stopped when I saw a fin in the water but not moving, when we pulled up to what we thought might be a dead Dolphin we found a massive Manta ray was resting vertically in the water with only the tip of one wing showing. Nothing wrong with the fella so he took off. I'm guessing 2M between wing tips.
First time out without a whale sighting, got the usual Dolphins and turtle but the Manta was a bonus.
Back in by midday after 60kms but no blood on the deck. :( Need a bimini though I'm toasted.

All lures had wire and maybe I should have risked it without but we were after teeth...

gawby
12-11-2005, 09:29 PM
Good to see you had a day like i have on a regular basis. :'(
At least we have a go and as they say practise make perfect. ;)
Was gunna go out tomorrow but na not with the weather the way it is. :-/
Better luck next time. ;D
Graeme

vertico
12-11-2005, 09:36 PM
no cobia around the manta ray ?

XLR8
12-11-2005, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the report.

Were you running a spread of Halco's and if so what speed.

If your keen there is some nice ground a few k's north of the pin around the 50m mark that has yielded dolphin fish, small black's etc this time of year.

I would persist with the wire. Also if you can hit the water at 4.30am and have your lures out by 5.30am #prefered run out tide and don't be afraid to up the speed to say 9-10 knots and you will be onto a winner.

Also what was the water temp if you noticed

Cookie

Brejen
12-11-2005, 10:02 PM
On ya B/B least you where out there.

CAtch up during the week.

Brett

12-11-2005, 10:16 PM
Does the colour of the wire e.g. black or clear matter you reckon boys ?

Burley_Boy
13-11-2005, 06:36 PM
We were running a bunch of Halcos at around 9knots rather two halcos and one river 2 sea. Not sure about cobia around the ray. Didn't want to snag the ray and thus didn't troll around him nor did we have any baits onboard.
Cookie we did run the 50 M mark I assume you refer to sollys I didn't have the marks with me as its the first run with a rig that can get there and back so it was a bit of exploration and just had my hand held GPS with no marks in it.
I take your advice onboard and will act on it. If you have a mark that I can aim for and then aim north or south I will do so so pm me if you like.

Found a 20foot peak I want to look at when I'm not trolling. Was using a new sounder that I'm not used to so Im not sure of water temp. Will fit my usual sounder so I can see what the story is. Do you reckon they follow the warmer water??

1337 You found some clear wire have you?? :-/
I have both multistrand and single strand, not sure if the buble trail behind the clip on is a bigger issue.
Thanks for the encouragement. #:)

13-11-2005, 07:09 PM
well not clear wire, i meant clear nylon plastic coated wire (pre-made) traces as opposed to the black wire types.

Sportfish_5
13-11-2005, 07:30 PM
Cookie - Those pics from today or last season ? :P

Cheers

Greg

Burley_Boy
13-11-2005, 07:53 PM
1337 I find the plastic coated wire too thick. some think it will protect from electric fields in the water I'm a sceptic on the issue and think that the visual impact is more important. My thinnest wire is 27lb single strand but I do have concerns about the bubble trail behind the clips we use that are heavy duty.

Cookie, thats my question too :)