PDA

View Full Version : Great morning in Mackay

Richard
20-11-2005, 08:07 PM
Hi everyone,

Had a great couple of hours fishing out from Mackay this morning, just on the 4 mile shoals patch. Got to the boat ramp at 5:30am and was already competing for boat ramp space as plenty of other people had the same idea (We were out to fish the low tide at 6:45am).

Anyway, got out to the spot, anchored up and the first bait went over the side. Within about 30secs we had our first reddy (small mouth nannygai) in the boat at about 46cm. Second rod goes off and after a lot of playing and circling, up comes a ~85cm GT. Got another on the first drop of a soft plastic. Didn't even get to the bottom before it got smashed by the GT.

Following that we got a mixed bag of nice nannygai, undersize red emperor and grassy sweetlip. Ended up keeping 4 nannygai and 3 sweetlip between the two of us

Next up was a 75cm spanish mackeral, well almost up anyway. Got him to where we could see him and two barracuda at least double the size of the mackeral started tearing into him. Got the mackeral up but in pieces. Also, caught a couple of good sized schoolies.

The suprise of the day was when i was bringing up an average fish, got it up about half way and got a huge bump on it, then the line started peeling off in the opposite direction. About 15-20 minutes later we found that the fish that got taken was 30cm sweetlip and what took it was a 140cm, 17kg cobia. My first cobia and one hell of a solid fish (for me). Quick couple of photos and he was released with no dramas.

We were back at the ramp by about 9am so only a couple of hours fishing.. So here's a few photos (sorry only from the camera phone) of some of the fish we released.

Richard

First photo - first GT

Richard
20-11-2005, 08:09 PM
Another GT - this time on the SP

Richard
20-11-2005, 08:11 PM
And last but not least - my first cobia

bit of a bad shot because he was still a bit lively and didn't want to stretch him by holding him up vertically..

vertico
20-11-2005, 08:22 PM
some nice fish there good effort

Daintreeboy
20-11-2005, 08:27 PM
top day mate, interesting marks on those trevs.
Cheers, Mark.

Richard
20-11-2005, 09:06 PM
Yeah the markings on the trevors were a bit weird. Like the small little black spots you sometimes get on them but in big blotches.

Can only assume it was in response to some trauma or something earlier on (maybe a large melanomacrophage response). Or might just be completely random :) Who knows..

Richard

Steven78
20-11-2005, 09:36 PM
Good fish. Those GTs would have given curry ;D
I will be up there in a few weeks is there any good charters you know of?

FlyRod
21-11-2005, 12:09 PM
Great work Richard I would love to get a few GTs like that. :)

Gday Steven78
You can ring Mick Rethus ..Pioneer Valley Fishing tours 0749591514 He will get you onto good Barra up at Teemburra Dam or if you like salty stuff you can call Arthur at Seaforth Fishing Charters im not sure of his number...Both these blokes know their stuff ..
Good luck and hope you have a good trip

Bonesy
21-11-2005, 04:35 PM
nice fish especially that cobia ;) :)
Bonesy [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

grunta_75
22-11-2005, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the post flyrod - Will give Mick a call to talk to him about teeing up a trip in the early part of next year. BArra are one of those fish that I've always wanted to have a crack at and we're visiting the in-laws for a w/e in in Mackay/Prossy so it's given us a good excuse!!

grunta