PDA

View Full Version : Cairns Reds 19/11/05

scuttlebutt
20-11-2005, 07:04 AM
With a good weather forecast for the weekend in Cairns, I knew I'd have to throw the boat in and get out at least once. Sunday was looking like the pick though, and I hate fishing on Sundays - ramp rage, crowded spots, wake from passing boats etc etc.

Bearing this in mind, myself, Toohey and Dan (Bad Bubby) headed out for a night-time fish on Saturday night. I hadn't fished the reef from my boat at night, so it was a bit of an experiment.

Once at the reef I sounded around and found a likely looking spot. The anchor went down, followed by a couple of lines, then up came a little Cobia for Dan

scuttlebutt
20-11-2005, 07:06 AM
Shortly after, some solid bludgers and turrum got in on the act..

scuttlebutt
20-11-2005, 07:09 AM
And then some shiny red fish started appearing. Dan was first with a decent nanny..

scuttlebutt
20-11-2005, 07:09 AM
closely followed by a nice red emperor..

scuttlebutt
20-11-2005, 07:11 AM
I managed a couple of solid Green Jobfish..

scuttlebutt
20-11-2005, 07:11 AM
though the biggest went to Toohey..

scuttlebutt
20-11-2005, 07:12 AM
Finally I scored two solid Red's

scuttlebutt
20-11-2005, 07:13 AM
before the thugs moved in. I was ecstatic at first with my best Jack to date. Until I had a closer look...

scuttlebutt
20-11-2005, 07:14 AM
And the big barracuda that tried to jump in the boat with it's mouth full of needles... You can tell they're thinking evil thoughts...

scuttlebutt
20-11-2005, 07:19 AM
by 2am the 94 litre esky was full and it was time to go home. By the time we got back to the ramp the Sunday morning line-up had already begun. They can have that - I'm off to bed!

cheers,

steve

philip_thomson
20-11-2005, 09:44 AM
good stuff steve, dan and toohey looks liek a ripper night was had. pitty that the big Jack was actually a big Bass :(.

nice feed to be had over the next few weeks

Cheers Phil

Scott15
20-11-2005, 09:44 AM
very very nice!!... top work guys

outsiderskip
20-11-2005, 10:50 AM
hi boys
top quality fish long time
since rosys that big they are good fighters

cheers pete

Spaniard_King
20-11-2005, 10:54 AM
disgusting report :'( :'( :'(

There shocking lookin fish, bet they must have been painfull to pull in [smiley=wut.gif]

Seriously good effort ;)

How far out to that sort of fishing if you don't mind?

Garry

slacky
20-11-2005, 11:27 AM
Great fish,did you enjoy the night fishing in your boat?Yey I like it,no sunburn and not to hot.When my new floor for the boat and the new gps,sounder combo arrives I am heading out to try and get some pics like that.
CHEERS slacky

Kid
20-11-2005, 11:38 AM
Top feed there fellas, is that a standed trip for u guys up there. Great variety.

morty103
20-11-2005, 01:39 PM
Doesn't get much better than that.
Bloody north queenslanders ;D
Top effort
Morty

scuttlebutt
20-11-2005, 06:05 PM
Garry, some of my mates go out about 60km for reds, but we didn't go quite that far.

Slacky, I haven't done much night fishing over the years, but yeah it was good not getting sunburnt for a change!

cheers,

steve

Moffy
20-11-2005, 09:37 PM
very nice fish there Steve - sounds like you found a new spot for them too - rather than going out to a known mark - well played. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Bad_Bubby
21-11-2005, 01:42 AM
Nice to see those pics made it on here Steve, I nearly look sober in the first couple too 8-). That was sure one hell of a session, I'll never forget seeing the water light up with red like that. Theres so many other things about that trip that stick in my mind particularly the cuda' launching at Toohey (ball height). I'm used to carving up barra at midnight on the drive way but at 6am it was an intersting experience to be cleaning a pile of mega reds under the very watchful eyes of the morning walker brigade :o.

P.S I just got back from Reef trip (2 of 2) operation 'get jack'. Catch of the day was a stripey.

scuttlebutt
21-11-2005, 01:00 PM
Moffy, It was a new spot which made it more satisfying, but I'll have to go back there to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

Dan, shame about the second trip - I had some of that red emperor for dinner last night - made a nice change from the usual coral trout (geez it's tough!)

cheers,

steve

vertico
21-11-2005, 04:28 PM
where is bazzaman ? ;)

kws
21-11-2005, 04:36 PM
hey guys that's some good fish there.must have been good eating as well

kevin

Mick
21-11-2005, 04:40 PM
Dam Mangrove Jack lookalikes!

bazzaman
21-11-2005, 06:28 PM
Great fish steve. Dan rubbed salt into all the wounds i had on the way home from fishn sunday night. We couldnt raise much apart from shark after shark. I hadnt seen the sounder so barron of fish before of a night. We didnt stay till moonrise but im sure that you had the better of the nights by the looks fish wise. Dan was sayn you got em on moonrise??

The last coupla times i fished the same area i got them on the moonrise as well and the bite period was hectic for a few hrs until the moon was past half way over us. I wanna see a few of those reds comn my way soon. Ill swap ya jack spot for red spot!! ::) ::) ::) ::)

Any marks for me???? ;D ;D ;D That ones for sean!(vertico!)

Well done.

First time ive seen jobbies out that way and that depth of water,. I thought they were a deep water fish!

Shane

scuttlebutt
21-11-2005, 06:53 PM
hey Shane, shame you didn't do any good. I'm only new to this night-fishing game so wouldn't mind fishing that area a bit more before I go trading marks. Wouldn't want to leave you with a dud! (ha ha).

At least you've been getting some nice jacks! I thought it was Christmas when I got that bass, until I realised it was a Bass! Still fun to catch. And those jobbies can turn up anywhere - last time I caught them was trolling lures across bommies in 10 metres.

cheers,

steve

Shafty
21-11-2005, 09:19 PM
Awesome fish Steve! ;)

Those reds taste great, and so do the jobbies.

If the weathers OK I'll be heading out Friday arvo...what are you working?

Can't believe you hit me up for marks...the ones you have are gold!

Shafty

bazzaman
21-11-2005, 09:30 PM
Reef closure this weekend! Sorry to spoil the fun! :-? :-? :-? :-?

scuttlebutt
21-11-2005, 10:01 PM
shafty,

yeah reef closure starts friday. We'll have to get out there at some stage though!

cheers,

steve

Heath
22-11-2005, 08:08 AM
Top report guys!

Now, don't tell me you woosed out & used rod n reel? :o

I still got scars from them damn handlines..LOL :P

kitty_cat
22-11-2005, 08:40 AM
jelous
any good property for sale up your way anywere nth will do
good fishing and great photos
wayne

lukesnapper
22-11-2005, 08:50 AM
awesom catch there guys!

some goodlookin reds there. ;)

hopefully one day soon ill experiance one :(

Fishin_Dan
22-11-2005, 09:06 AM
Top effort guys! Dan, it seems you've been fishing from a boat more than landbased lately!!! :D I'll let you know when I'm heading up for work again... It seems that it will be either a Friday or Monday, but obviously would need to be there for the weekend as well... ;)

Bad_Bubby
22-11-2005, 02:54 PM
Fishin_Dan- lol I think I've had a healthy 50-50 ratio between boat and landbased. If you come again shoot us a PM in advance, and we'll figure something out ;). This time of year the Barron action can be allright, so long as its not immediately after a patch of heavy rain like last February.

Heath- I was on handline, the others girled it on rods ;D...some pretty deep cuts too :P

Fishin_Dan
22-11-2005, 03:15 PM
Are you back in Cairns living again mate? What was the deal with Townsville? Will be in Cairns mid January

Bad_Bubby
22-11-2005, 03:22 PM
Yeah Dan back in Cairns, my job in Ingham went downhill about 2,1/2 weeks ago. In some ways I like good old brownsville better but this place has its moments too obviously. Hopefully I'll still be here when you come for a visit :).

stunnedmullet
22-11-2005, 03:22 PM
Now THAT'S fishing boys, north queensland style.
I like it a lot [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
The mullet

scuttlebutt
22-11-2005, 03:39 PM
Dan, "girled it on rods" indeed! My thumbs are still aching from trying to stop a spool full of braid! Harder than skull-dragging them in like you were doing! Ha Ha.

How'd that CD go? photos and video turn out OK?

cheers,

steve

Bad_Bubby
22-11-2005, 04:03 PM
lol Steve that handline mono is like rope too ;D. I had a good time viewing the cd, plennnnty of great shots on it from the reef, some of the Russell ones looked a bit dodgy compared to the reef ones!. That groper video is pretty amazing, you wouldn't want to hold onto that bait too long or mr brown submarine might accidently get a supersized feed :o.

Fishin_Dan
22-11-2005, 04:51 PM
you wouldn't want to hold onto that bait too long or mr brown submarine might accidently get a supersized feed :o.

We get those down here in Brisbane too.... Down around the Pinkenba area ;)

bazzaman
22-11-2005, 06:50 PM
GO THE HANDLINES! ;) ;) ;)

Bonesy
23-11-2005, 07:25 AM
nice red :o sounds like you had some great fun ;)
Bonesy [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Volvo
24-11-2005, 09:07 AM
:oWell done fella's ;), what Fishin dreams are made of..