PDA

View Full Version : monsters of the wrong type 23.11.05

the_bomber
23-11-2005, 09:20 PM
4.00am kick off at Scarborough saw fantastic conditions and a gorgeous sunrise while gliding accross the bay.

The sounder was playing up at Western Rocks so headed for Hutchies for a troll. Nice to only have a couple of boats for company for a change but the action was slow.

We were about to try something else when the reel started screaming and the new jig rod! and reel! were getting a workout. Odd trolling set up but the drag was superb and the 37 kg rod was as light as a feather.

Suffice to say this was overkill and turned the fish rather smartly. Before the fish new what was happeningit was gaffed and Craig had his first wahoo and well over our measuring tape. we guessed at 1.2m plus. It set the tone nicely.

Unfortunately we couldn't convince the rest of them to come out and play so we went to a wreck off Moreton to try the new jig stick. Got a work out and no takers on anything.

The day was so nice we thought we would brave the current and set off to Deep Tempest. Well no run but no fun. Craig kept bringing up 34 cm pearlies and I couldn't catch a cold. Until what felt like a 20 litre bucket attached to my line. Eventually winched up the MOTHER of all cuttlefish. It did not look happy-neither of us wanted to go near this thing that looked bigger than our children. Fortunately the lets keep it for bait idea was dismissed and in a cloud of ink that would keep the Bic pen factory supplied for a month we helped monster on his way.

The day was still glorious so we thought we would cruise in and we got waylaid at Shallow Tempest. Basically we were not moving on the drift. We were starting to get bored when Craig's baitrunner leaps into action and a noice snappery squire comes aboard. Sitting around a bit more attentively now and suddenly double hook up on the bait runners and they were hooting. Then both busted off but up at the braid. Thinking we had been bricked we persisted with mono leaders. Just about to call it a day to return in time for family obligations when my bait runner arcs up. I had wound up the drag after the last bust off but you wouldn't know it. Start the motor and chase. Well time was passing and the wife's pleas to ensure a timely return were starting to loom over our heads. But we had to see what the hell this thing was. 30 minutes goes by and the fish is firmly in charge despite all Craig's boat driving skills. Thoughts of the quality of the knots I had hastily tied were jumping to mind while we played the guess what it was game. We thought either a noah or a BIG cobe. It wasn't behaving like a shark so we were keen to get this thing up but it wouldn't play ball. Finally another 40 minutes later when I'm about out on my feet a bloody great shark finally shows its bastard face. Not bad on 30lb braid and 6-8 kg rod. Baitrunner was a champ.

Anyway a quick departure and a dream run back capped off a lovely day despite the lack of fish. Made it back in time for family commitments (just) and all were happy.

Rusty_Hook
24-11-2005, 08:18 AM
Great report.

bidkev
24-11-2005, 08:34 AM
Nice reading mate.

kev

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
24-11-2005, 10:01 AM
Well written and really enjoyable to read!

Cheers and thanks
Dave

finding_time
24-11-2005, 10:16 AM
There's a poet in all of us Rob :D :D

Ian

When are you going to start listening to me about that bloody Braid >:( >:(

snappa
24-11-2005, 10:22 AM
hi

Well written and great reading..

cann't wait for the next report when u do catch some fish .. ;D

need pics to go with the report ... :)

GBC
24-11-2005, 01:07 PM
Great education paying off mate.. ;) ;) ;D ;D
You'd need a 24kg stand up rig to stretch those guns but

C.J.

grunta_75
24-11-2005, 04:11 PM
Great read mate - well done - Makes my feel better about a mother of a catfish I pulled up this morning on Curtian after a 15min fight.... :-/

grunta

Spaniard_King
24-11-2005, 05:17 PM
Those cuttleys make good chewin, but the ink that comes out is sumpin else.. I keep a large bucket onboard just for them (40L) Not gettin that black sh!t on me white boat 8-)

Garry

matt_w
24-11-2005, 05:21 PM
good to here about the wahoo starting to turn up bad luck about the shark aye

outsiderskip
24-11-2005, 05:55 PM
good report
need pics next time

cheers pete

Lynchie
24-11-2005, 06:37 PM
Good story mate, I enjoyed reading it.