PDA

View Full Version : barwon banks 23-11-05

chemmy
23-11-2005, 10:45 PM
G day fellas

Dad and crew left at 3 am this morning and headed for the banks conditions were perfect and fishing wasn’t far behind. They fished all day and were back at the ramp at around 5:30pm – 6pm don’t really know because I wasn’t there. They did all right catching snapper from 2.5kg to 6 kg some pearlies and a few Tusk fish and other stuff. Dad hooked onto a 1.5m dolphin fish or as our Hawaiian friends say Mahi mahi. The fish was swimming around the boat so the crew kept it around with half pillies and other bait while dad brought in the 6500 bait runner with 30 lb mono on it threw it out in front of it and wam bam thank you mam the fish was on. It did some good aerial acrobatics and then headed to brazil dad saw the spool in no time so Phil I will be come in to ca/\/\p /\/\art to get some more soon. After $30 gone just like that dad thought that a swim was in order water tem was 27 degrees here spanish spanish spanish ;D.

The tally:
Snapper-15
Pearl perch-3
Flathead-1
Tusk fish-2
Gold spot wrass-2
350 meters of 30lb line- minus 1

Cheers Michael

chemmy
23-11-2005, 10:46 PM

chemmy
23-11-2005, 10:46 PM

chemmy
23-11-2005, 10:47 PM

chemmy
23-11-2005, 10:47 PM
last one

lukesnapper
23-11-2005, 11:30 PM
what a catch mate, some goodlookin snapper there ay!
pic 4 really shows them off!!! awesome ;)

outsiderskip
24-11-2005, 05:24 AM
hi chemmy
good conditions last few days
good to see a few snapper still
poking around nice catch

cheers pete

rabbitohbill
24-11-2005, 06:03 AM
what a catch mate, some goodlookin snapper there ay!
pic 4 really shows them off!!! awesome ;)

Its a beauty that one!
A 1.5m dolphin fish would have ha dthe old reel smokin.

Anne-T-Dote
24-11-2005, 07:07 AM
CHEMMY

Nice work there by your dad and his crew. I bet you were SPEWIN you couldn't go.

Man things have been quiet for me lately - too busy both at work and on projects at home. My boat is COVERED in dust - soooo sad. My mate Ed was kind enough to take me out in his boat the other day though - god bless him - he saved my sanity. We managed to get our bag limit of pearlies so we were pretty stoked.

Ditto on what the others said RE the pics - top shots and a GREAT haul of snapper - well done to your dad.

Cheers,

Rob.

bidkev
24-11-2005, 08:42 AM
Shame you couldn't go Chemmy. Thanks for the report anyway.

kev

chemmy
24-11-2005, 08:54 AM
here is another pic with dad and the burley king with some snapper at home

thanks for the replys fellas
pete: the most of the snapper were caught on floters and dad saidat one stage they were on a three way hook up just on floaters.
rbitobill: dad was stoked with hooking tup to the mahi mahi and the rest of the crew had great fun.
rod and kingtin: yea i was kicking my self in the back of the head the whole day.

DaneCross
24-11-2005, 09:27 AM
Top stuff Chemmy's Dad! Looks like all your fishing knowledge has rubbed off onto him ay Chemmy ;)

bigmack
24-11-2005, 09:40 AM
Swimming at the Banks - ????????? craazy man. last time I was there we got visited by the biggest tiger shark; he came to the back of the boat and rolled on his side to give us the evil eyeball as he cruised past.

Dont think I would be over the sied out there by choice

chemmy
24-11-2005, 12:12 PM
dc: yea i think it has, two months ago dad didn't belive in using floaters and yesterday they caught mor than half their fish on them.
Bigmack: it was just a quick dip and when we go swimming at the banks some one is always on the lookout for sharks.

Sportfish_5
24-11-2005, 12:55 PM
dc: yea i think it has, two months ago dad didn't belive in using floaters and yesterday they caught mor than half their fish on them.
Bigmack: it was just a quick dip and when we go swimming at the banks some one is always on the lookout for sharks.

LMAO - 2 months ago you thought it was something else that made people get out of the water ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sharks that you can see would not really be a problem :-? Keep swimmin there though it will make for some good pics one day

Fixation
24-11-2005, 01:15 PM
On ya lads! Good to see some knobbies are still on the chew. Love the pics. Great report. Makes me wanna leave work right now and head out.

finding_time
24-11-2005, 01:38 PM
350meters of thirty pound line !! What a bummer. :o :o

You should be running about 5kg of drag for that line class and 350m at 5kg of drag should stop most bull dolphin fish might need to set the drag with scales to save some line in the future ;) ;)Just a suggestion.

Ian

mackmauler
24-11-2005, 01:44 PM
the dolfinfish must of had a really weird day sinking to the bottom with all that line, why wouldnt you tighten the drag :-?

chemmy
24-11-2005, 03:56 PM
yea i think i set the drag to light next time i will set is a 5 kg drag

rob just out of curiosity how heavy do you reacon a 1.5 meter dolphin fish would be. To answer your question i always tell dad not to touch the drag because he tightens it up to tight and he has lost big fish because of it. I will keep telling him not to touch it and i will just set it right next time.

vertico
24-11-2005, 04:01 PM
some nice fish there chemmy

mattooty
24-11-2005, 04:03 PM
Some great fish there chemmy! ;) Its awesome when the dolphin fish school up around the boat, especially when they are of a good size. We've had similiar size ones behind the boat but most throw the hooks on the jump. Only got one in that was aronud 14kg! :D Beautiful looking snapper there
Matt

grunta_75
24-11-2005, 04:05 PM
Great catch there for your old man chemmy - I was mad keen for the banks today but couldn't get the crew so had to settle for a day in the bay - kicking myself now though - should have pushed and gone...Always next time!!

grunta

sf_russian
24-11-2005, 05:16 PM
Little correction to the chemmy report.

300m of 20lb mono was taken most likely by a shark.
Mahi Mahi took the floater close to the boat when I was reeling it in hoping she pays some attention while other guys were feed her with pilchards. I had berkley fireline 20lb which is bad thing for floater. So basically she just took it and ran breaking the braid at the swivel within 3 secs and then performed spectacular 2 m jump out of the water. She felt so heavy.

When we were getting back I have noticed that boat feels very heavy. When got to the harbour we have found 3cm hole in the hull at the bow. Plastic fitting which had drain hose connected to the anchor well has broken off and fell inside the boat exposing the boat to the splash flooding. This I will fix tonight as we are going to Tangalooma for 2 nights tomorrow.

No more pearlies, any ideas where they went? Hope we did not catch them all.

DougHanning
24-11-2005, 06:48 PM
Love diving at the banks, trust me those tigers are pretty well behaved. Its the only place we have seen a 200kg black marlin and a 4m tiger on the same dive. The tiger was swimming away with an amberjack and my spear. The marlin was curious as to all the commotion. Seriously it is good to have someone watching your back though.

fritzy
24-11-2005, 08:25 PM
Giday Chemmy,
How come you couldn't get out with ya dad mate?? Stuck at school??
Fantastic fish, bet you are itching for the chance to get out there and punish em again. Went fishing on a charter off Noosa once with a grilfriend (now an ex girlfriend) and she bought ginger tablets (what a joke ::) ::)) to stop us getting seasick. Needless to say, she got sick as all hell [smiley=sick2.gif] [smiley=sick2.gif], couldn't put a line in the water and spent most on the day on the floor of the boat. She then decided to have a dip in 55m of water over deep reef (i was slightly embarrassed), and the deckhands decided it was time to clean the fish. The biggest splash i have ever seen happened about 30m from her and i went off my tree. She still didn't want to come in so in the end the deckie grabbed her by the arm and dragged her back into the boat.
After seeing that happen, i have trouble swimming at the beach let alone the deep water. Think i am happy to stick to the fishing rather than the swimming...
Cheers mate,
Fritzy
PS. Will be up in your neck of the woods over new years, and probably a bit next week with my cousin up from melbourne. Should pm us with ya mobile and catch up for a fish eh?

bigmack
25-11-2005, 12:52 PM
Mate it would have to be seriously hot for me to contemplate jumping over the side - a deckwash will cool you off nicely. Still - if thats your thing cool.

Good fish as well - nice to see all the pictures come in.