PDA

View Full Version : 45 kilo yellow fin from curtain!

lukesnapper
20-11-2005, 12:16 PM
wel here it is guys the pic use want to see, he only sent me the one pic but its clear as day how big it is. it would have been goo to get the side on pic so use could c how thick this tuna is. such a powerfull fish. what u think it is damon yellow fin or what ;)

philip_thomson
20-11-2005, 12:22 PM
thats a ripper yellowfin. absolutely awesome fish they are. superb eating hope you enjoy eating it well done

Cheers Phil

foggy
20-11-2005, 12:24 PM
damons there goes your nuts LOL

Top fish for the bay guys. Well done

mackmauler
20-11-2005, 12:29 PM
Id like to see a pic of the live tuna with curtain in the background before cuttin damons nuts off ;D

thats a great fish no matter where it was caught.

lukesnapper
20-11-2005, 01:09 PM
cant help u there mackmauler didnt have a camera til we got home. so it looks like damon is safe ;) u have my word it was caught there tho.... :)

duckbill
20-11-2005, 01:49 PM
Definitely a YFT, well done...

Now I know what the two huge tuna that I saw a few weeks ago under the boat at the 4 beacons were. I had thought longtails but they were huge and had longer sickle like fins. I was tempted at the time to call them for YFTs but only I saw them and I would have been taken for a nutter [smiley=freak.gif] [smiley=freak.gif] [smiley=freak.gif]

So there's another one still out there ;) ;) ;)

Argle
20-11-2005, 01:57 PM
Top fish anywhere let alone in the Bay, been years since Ive caught one I think it was about 35kg on a charter off Narooma and dont they go like stink.
Very well done

Cheers

Spaniard_King
20-11-2005, 02:18 PM
Stonka ;)

Thatl take some beatin in the bay!

Garry

Any_Weather
20-11-2005, 02:26 PM
Mate that fish sure is impressive!!!I bet it took some turning. Do you still need to bleed tuna when eating it as sashimi???

lukesnapper
20-11-2005, 02:44 PM
yes mate u do it was blead strait away. and my oath it took some turnin!

Mad-One
20-11-2005, 03:45 PM
Great Fish and man they are lovely eating to.
Well done [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbup.gif]
Cheers Phil

Scott15
20-11-2005, 04:18 PM
top yellowfin!! :o :o

krazed1
20-11-2005, 04:36 PM
thats a monster of a fish top effort :o ;)

uripper
20-11-2005, 06:10 PM
;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

20 pound line ?????????????????
up into the shallows ?????????????
yellow fin tuna that went 45 kilos and was around 1200 long! ????????????

love to believe it ........... but ............. ;D ;D ;D ;D

LUKESNAPPER

Q1. exactly where & what date / time was above photo taken ?????

Q2. got any other ausfish members who are prepared to verify this report?????

lukesnapper
20-11-2005, 06:31 PM
mate it was caught aprox 11 am on saturday morning. photo was taken about 4 pm. and yes 20 pound line. jus shows how well it was fished. why would i lie mate >:(
if any 1 was at the curtain reef then and witnessed a big plate centre consile chasin that tuna give us some back up! didnt think id have to go this far 2 prove this fish! thanx heaps.

magicpudding
20-11-2005, 06:37 PM
Bloody nice fish, they're few and far between at that size. We've hooked up to one around that size inside rooneys before, so they do come into the shallows sometimes.

CJ

lukesnapper
20-11-2005, 06:52 PM
cj it was caught in 25 metres of water but by the time it was gaffed it was aprox 5 metres. dont no why it took us shallower.

slyham775
20-11-2005, 07:12 PM
What a top fish yea it Definitely a yellow fin tuna ;)

I not think you will be able to eat them all so how about you give me some of your fish ;) just kidding ya ;D well done

uripper
20-11-2005, 08:04 PM
LUKESNAPPER

No offence intended mate 8-)- if its genuine then good on ya - you will always know the truth - there's been quiet a few bulls##t reports on the site lately so please forgive me if I've been unduly sceptical :-[

With greatest respect - it would be really good to come up with some verification as this is legendary stuff - dont think anyone else in history of Ausfish site (did some searches today) has come close to matching such a catch at this location (granted on a few catches are reported here) - again no offence intended - confirming a catch like this in this location would a true milestone :) & then all accolades unquestionably deserved

maybe you could PM me with details of skipper, boat, crew etc - as I said would love this report to be A1 genuine - so am happy to help you verify it an publicly eat humble pie (or is that Russell Crow ;D)

Rip

Fishinmishin
20-11-2005, 08:18 PM
If the report is true...then you should take people doubting the catch as a real compliment as it shows what an effort it was. 20lb is more than believable as we have landed LTs about that size on 12lb.....just hurts the man behind the rod ;D. A good catch and even better if it was from curtain. Stranger things have happened mate ;).
Cheers, Jay

DougHanning
20-11-2005, 09:19 PM
I caught a 20 kg yellowfin at curtin about 7 years ago. My mate saw one about 15kgs at comby a year ago so they do come in the bay. I caught the yellow on a small rod that was used for bait jigging and had just put out a piece of pilchard when it hit.

lukesnapper
20-11-2005, 09:31 PM
Did you read that uripper! :P

SeaSaw
20-11-2005, 10:26 PM
Top catch. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] It is incredible that it was in the bay but I have no reason to doubt you. Every now and then something unusual turns up, so well done ;)

Now what I am really looking forward to is the flotilla of game boats circling around .... and around ..... and around .... and around at Curtain next weekend with their heavy tackle gear out. lol ;D

Mark

Smithy
21-11-2005, 05:21 AM
I would have no reason to doubt him. Great captures are made at Curtain all the time. Anyone seen Harro's video "Underneath the Cape"? In that they get a real nice YFT. Being in ANSA I have seen a few other good captures made there. Rossco (Fin Addict) that used to be on this site caught a 20kg plus YFT on 10kg off the M5 I think it was one day. One Brisbane Sportfishing Club Interclub the one boat caught a 9kg Snapper on 4kg line at Curtain and the the same weekend the same boat caught a small Black Marlin on 4kg as well!

How did you guys weight it? Just jumping on bathroom scales? It has good size sickles but we got one of 47kgs in April off the Gold Coast that looked miles bigger. It was weighed on certified game fish scales. Not taking anything away from you as it is a great capture indeed.

cyclops
21-11-2005, 06:31 AM
Holy moly that's one nice yellowfin at curtain hey

Jeremy
21-11-2005, 07:05 AM
great fish for the bay and top effort on 20 lb line. I have difficulty believing that it is 45 kg, looks more like 45 lb to me and at 1200 long.

Jeremy

shut_up_and_fish
21-11-2005, 07:15 AM
top effort there mate.............people would be surprised at what hangs around down there at the artificial (and tangas at nite)..........some diver friends of mine have told me of huge schools of snapper, kingies, jewies, cobes and the list goes on.........my experieced mate that takes me out lived on the island for a few years and got to know the area and what is there pretty well....he is constantly reminding me of big cobes, kings, snapper and a huge golden trevor that he has caught or seen caught from that area over the years.........he himself landed a huge cobes (cant quite remember the weight) on the inside of the curtain where the bank sweeps down to the wrecks and has told me of a huge golden trevor being caught in the same place - about 25m...........he tells me of seeing kingies that big that he couldnt stop them and in great numbers..........so catching a yft there doesnt surprise me at all.........its not like there is an underwater fence that keeps certain species in and out now is there..........lol............so to all those doubters..........well who cares whether you believe it or not...........it doesnt really matter because the only person that needs to know the truth does.................

Mick
21-11-2005, 09:26 AM
Maybe Jay could prove the worthyness of the fish? I can see a white singlet in the photo? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Why-ting
21-11-2005, 11:19 AM
hey guys, im a good mate of lukes. he loves the site and just recently got me on board. he rang me on sat before he even posted this and all details match perfectly. He's a genuine bloke and has nothin to gain by lying so give him a break ay. Awesome fish, well done mate Cheers Whytey

lukesnapper
21-11-2005, 05:26 PM
oh cheers brother!!!! :)

adriancorrea
21-11-2005, 06:30 PM
Well done, great effort

Tight Lines
Adrian

Big_Ren
21-11-2005, 09:00 PM
Good onya Luke. That's certainly one helluva fish :o Nothing surprises me as to what comes out of the Bay. As Shut Up And Fish said, there's no underwater fence down there so who knows what will turn up from time to time. It's a long time ago, but remember Tangas was once a whaling station and a world reknowned fishery for very big sharks. If northern blues call the Bay home, there's no reason to doubt that yellowfin won't be found there at times either.

Paul

visarend
21-11-2005, 09:33 PM
Luke

Was that you who launched away chasing? We were anchored at curtain and the boat next to me reversed and gave chase south towards Tangies and end up heading closer to shore. If it were you guys, it sure took an effort to land it ... no wander. Well done!

lukesnapper
21-11-2005, 10:24 PM
yes visarend that was us we were in reverse 4 a bit! thats wat we ended up gaffen. unreal hey!

Billo
22-11-2005, 08:49 AM
Im in shock .

Yes you do hear of odd captures here and there ,, and this is one of them

You are derfinately amongst a small group that has taken YF within the bay ...and one of that size is nothing to sniffle at ...even for the offshore runs

hell of a fight on 20lb i bet !!!

visarend
22-11-2005, 08:50 AM
Excellent work, you had my entire family green with envy! Great work.

RobK
22-11-2005, 03:51 PM
Great fish

Just on Curtin it is amazing what is there at times. I was diving there last year and came across a school of Wahoo. Around 6 fish all in the 15kg range. I would never have thought you would see them in the bay either. Anything is posible.

Cheers

Rob

Matt_G
22-11-2005, 07:28 PM
Hi Guys

I thought I would buy into this one as well. A couple of years back at Bulwer we saw a whole school of good sized YFT crashing through a school of sauries that couldn't get away. I guess in many respects it depends what bait is around and how the currents push down the coast as to what can and does turn up.

About 15 years ago or more we saw a sailfish free jump in front of the Sandhills. I think if someone pulled the plug on the bay, you would be amazed at what would be left flopping around on the bottom.

Matt

PS Great fish but I agree with Smithy, looks small at 45kg.

Mugil
23-11-2005, 08:09 AM
Great fish, must say I too was thinking longtail misidentification initially.

Further to the unusual bay captures, a few years ago we caught a couple of dolphinfish between Mud Is and the 4 beacons. I think the pelagics follow the current south and a few don’t make the left turn at the northern end of Moreton island (trench area) and end up stuck in the bay.

Cheers
Geoff

Darryl
23-11-2005, 08:33 AM
Wether it's 45 kilo or bloody 25 mate its still a great fish for the bay.

Well bloody done. ;D

outsiderskip
23-11-2005, 10:56 AM
hi lukesnapper
awsome fish make your blood
pressure go up catching that monster

cheers pete

lukesnapper
23-11-2005, 11:03 AM
well i better throw them scales away then there not an expensive brand, o well if they were out like most people seem to think! it wouldnt have been far off, like i said earlyer thats only one side pic no one has seen how fat and round it was so how can u judge it! i struggled to lift it and i throw around 40 kilo bags of cemen no worries! cheers :)

Darryl
23-11-2005, 12:20 PM
Luke mate honestly who cares what the doubters think mate. Good onya.

Jealousy is a bitch ;D

I mean whats wrong with some of you people, this fella is proud as punch of his catch and you or some of you are taking his spotlight.

Christs sakes give it a break will yas.

I dont mean to be directly rude but shit there has been some shitty comments from some of you blokes.

All my love Darryl. :-*

Jeremy
23-11-2005, 12:28 PM
just for comparison's sake, this is a 19.8 kg longtail I caught earlier this year. Weighed on digital certified scales. I'm 183 cm and 90 kg for comparison and the fish is hard up against my chest.

Jeremy

beefaman
23-11-2005, 12:57 PM
Nice fish mate....I dont care what it weighs, it is a good fish in anyones terms!!

Mick
23-11-2005, 01:17 PM
Hey crestcutter, I think everyone is intitled to their opinion. There are some experienced campaigners amoung this site and if someone doesn't think the fish is what it is described as then they have the rite to voice their doubts as long as its not in a threatening or dimoralising way (which i think no one has done).

Judging on the one photograph of the Y FIN, I too don't think the fish is 45kg's. Jeremy's fish on the other hand does look like a 19kg fish. This is what I have used for comparison. This is 50kg's of fish. Check 120L esky in the background for size varification. The 19kg Gold Spot could not fit in this esky.

Anyhow, Lukesnapper, I am not holding anything against you. Don't let the comments get you down, after all this is a chat site and we are all just chatting.

Congrats on the fish anyhow, i have never caught one.

lukesnapper
23-11-2005, 01:28 PM
its all good mate, im over it anyway. i must have been hangin of the scales with it ;) ;D. obviously the scales were out then. im gettin some digital scales and ill be takin photos. cheers :)

damons33
23-11-2005, 03:48 PM
thats amazing luke- look's 50lbs bud.
i heard of a 90kg yellafin caught in botany bay in 89' in 7meters of water.
but its just so many people mistake the nthn blue for yellafin up here- southeners mostly.
a jap would give his right, bushidoist nut for a chunk of that fish- lucky i wouldn't!
:D
good job bud'
damon
:)

Oscarelli
23-11-2005, 07:03 PM
Like visarend we were at Curtain Saturday morning and seen you pull anchor and give chase. From the sound of its first smokin run I've got no reason to doubt it isn't a 45kg YFT. As has been said, it's a big expanse of water and there's no fences. Anything is possible!

rabbitohbill
23-11-2005, 08:35 PM
There is big fish & little fish.
Thats a big fish. Well done.

Y-Not
23-11-2005, 09:46 PM
Hi Guys

I thought I would buy into this one as well. #A couple of years back at Bulwer we saw a whole school of good sized YFT crashing through a school of sauries that couldn't get away. #I guess in many respects it depends what bait is around and how the currents push down the coast as to what can and does turn up.

About 15 years ago or more we saw a sailfish free jump in front of the Sandhills. #I think if someone pulled the plug on the bay, you would be amazed at what would be left flopping around on the bottom.

Matt

PS Great fish but I agree with Smithy, looks small at 45kg.

Funny you should say that......... We saw a sailfish jumping at the 4 beacons about 3 weeks ago. It jumped right out the water 3-4 times then it was gone!!! Amazing!!!

Awesome fish, well done!! You should get mileage out of that story for many years to come!

DICER
24-11-2005, 08:38 AM
it's a big YFT for sure ad the back looks fairly solid too

Darryl
25-11-2005, 07:49 PM
Mick your probably right , tourettes is a bitch and maybe i had a moment.

However please keep this in mind mate, even though some member has 1000 posts next to his name and is a gold or platinum member doesnt make him any different to someone like me who only has 100 posts next to his name.

I have been fishing south east queensland for 30 years and as far as i'm concerened am an experienced angler.

My concern with this is why does he have to justify the weight to members here? What difference is it going to make honestly?

Did mackmauler have to justify his coral trout at peel for example? No offense mack just using your master piece as an example.

It's all good mick, and as you say we are all entitled to our opinion and that's just mine.