PDA

View Full Version : I know how they named their band now...

Fishin_Dan
26-11-2005, 02:22 AM
.... Wet, Wet, Wet!!!

Carlos (Nemo84), his mate, and I decided to do a quick run up to Scarborough canals this afternoon. Carlos was fishing plastics & prawns, and his mate was fishing just prawns. I decided to give the Hard Bodied lures a run... Having never caught much on HB, I was nervous... But I had just bought a few new nice ones (Halco RMG in Gold, Flatz Ratz, etc) and was keen to give em a bash! I was really hoping to try and crack some Jacks or Trevally.

Well the first one to get a bite was the bloody mozzies!!! >:( So Mr Bushmans came out for a run... Much better! :D

I was casting the Gold Halco around on a small baitcaster I bought off Big Nick for very cheap (Thanks again Nick! Awesome setup!!! Definately recommend his gear!). This is about the 3rd time I've been casting with an overhead in my life, and was alright... As it got darker it got a little harder! The rain was absolutely relentless, and I was even wearing my waterproof 3/4 boat jacket.... Carlos's mate was in shorts & a tshirt! ;D He was drowned!

Unfortunately all we scored was a small Cod of about 15cm... The lure was nearly 3/4 of his size!!! Those things will attack anything!

With the rain not letting up after 2 hours, and no other bites, we decided to move on. Had a sneak peek at the Shornecliffe Jetty, but the only thing caught was a hand spear by Carlos's mate!!! :o The guys next to us dropped it into the water, and in the current, it tangled in the guys line! LOL

So beer o'clock was called, and we headed home.

No fish, and a very wet night, but it did give me confidence in the HB lures! Am definately going to do a few more trips with them only.... And will defiantely try to find out a few secrets about those canals too!

gogecko
26-11-2005, 05:44 AM
Hi Dan,
sounds like my last trip.I like hard lures, I reckon its worth persisting with. A lot of big jacks and trevors get caught on em (so they tell me, lol).

checkout the cover story on this link
http://www.thefisherman.com.au/index.html
Note the lures in the photos.

Try using em on a drift, cast upcurrent, and work em back in erratic fast/stop stall movements. The trick is to work em with the current, and not against. I also get big flattys and bream as bycatch.

Got a real raincoat just in time for my last trip. Finally got sick of lightweight weatherproof things that soak thru to the skin.

Andrew

fishomatic
26-11-2005, 07:04 AM
HB's are awesome fish catchers, even if they ave been overshadowed by soft plastics of late. Good luck,
Matt

Why-ting
26-11-2005, 10:01 AM
Persist with hard bodies for jacks they've done very well for me. My favs are riedys golboun jack, any size of the manns family (depending on location and tecnique) macs lures jack hammer and the old bommers. Try a few of these, hope u have some better luck next time. But remember jack fishin is all about persistance ;) Whytey

gogecko
26-11-2005, 12:19 PM
Im also on Reidys lures. Ive got the b52s mainly in gold and Black, with a bit of red or green.

DaneCross
26-11-2005, 12:28 PM
I know how they named their band now...
« on: Today at 2:22am »

How long does beer o'clock last for in your books Dan?? 2:22am - you weren't fishing 'till then... were you ;) ;D

NeMo84
26-11-2005, 08:03 PM
yeh that trip was a shocker, i spent 2 hours on buses and a citycat to go meet up with Dan when my mate who lives about 5 minutes from me called me when i was just about there and actually beat me to the meeting point. As soon as we get to the spot it starts pissing down and i was wearing a thin jacket like gogecko described and basically all i can say is "waterproof" my arse,
however I went for a fish in the river today and ended up with 2 just legal bream 25 and 26cm fishin from a new spot i've been scoping out for some time now, both fish caught on 2"atomic fatgrubs on 1/16 oz jigheads...Carlos ;)

Fishin_Dan
27-11-2005, 12:32 AM
Good work Carlos! Good to see!

How long does beer o'clock last for in your books Dan?? 2:22am - you weren't fishing 'till then... were you ;) ;D

DC - Beer o'clock can last for a very long time in my house! I had bought a 30 can case of bitter, and 1 bottle of whiskey, so couldn't go to bed too early!!! ;D

Fishin_Dan
27-11-2005, 01:03 AM
P.S - It's about 1am, and is still beer o'clock DC! ;)

Fish_Lightning
27-11-2005, 08:19 PM
Working with I Dan I often get involved in beer o'clock and 2.22am is an early night for him. Unlucky with the hard bodies Dan but I know they will perform soon just like the softies have!!