PDA

View Full Version : Borroloola (Centre Island) and a Croc

Dex38
16-11-2005, 01:19 PM
I just returned from an interesting trip to Borroloola in the NT. The trip was a follow up to one I did to Centre Island 2 years ago. We selected the first two weeks on November which suited everyone. We had people from New Zealand, Darwin, Adelaide, Toowoomba and Ayr. In total 10 people and five boats. We launched from King Ash Bay and headed straight out to the old Weather Station on Centre Island to find a group of guys already residing in the old shed. They were kind enough to let us pitch some tarps off the front of the building for shade.
Anyway the Barra were a bit sluggish to bite. They hit lures down deep but nothing in the above the 2meter range. Everything was down in 4-5 meters of water. The previous trip you couldn’t raise a fish on lure. The lack of bait in the bay made it hard on the live bait fishing side of the house. But we were able to get hold of some mullet. There were only a few Threadfin and the odd Queen fish to be had, which was unusual. The previous trip it was hard work getting beyond the queenies and threadfin to target the barra. There were plenty of small sharks to get past though, they were nearly in plague proportions at times.
The water temp was about 31 degrees and the fish were heading for the McArthur River mouth. It looked slow going in the river mouth for the diehards but the islands were producing if you had a go around the rocky headlands and colour changes in the water.
Most of the Barra were in the 70-80cm range with the odd capture and release of the 100 cm variety.
Talking with the locals there, Centre Island has now been handed over to the traditional owners for their keep.
Anyway an awesome trip resulting in one broken back boat trailer and one drowned 5.0 meter Quintrex Hornet put to the bottom of the bay by a croc. It appears the croc wanted a ride overnight and got itself onto the back of the boat, resulting in some pretty amazed looks in the morning as we awoke to see one said boat with its bow pointing to the sky and its 100hp 4-stroke under 3 feet of water . We dragged the boat up onto the beach and proceeded to dry her out. We didn’t know how long the motor was under but even with the ignition off you still have battery power applied to the starter motor and trim relays. Well there wasn’t a Bus Bar (power supply) left, so we jerry rigged up the electrics, pulled the carbie manifold off and dried everything out. We turned the motor over by hand and there was no water in the pots. We bled the carbies of water, connected up a 30lt fuel tank as the underfloor one was full of water. With the help of a can of Aerostart and damn good luck it started. We got the trim/tilt working and went fishing that afternoon. The Yammie ran on 3-4 pots every now and again, but it ran. We had to disconnect the voltage regulator as it started to put out some nasty smells. The guys got her back to King Ash Bay the following day with only once having the motor kick itself in limp home mode. With a small time at idle she kicked herself back into life and off she went again at full noise. It’s amazing what you can do with 16 gauge wire, aerostart, a basic tool kit, a lot of good luck and a few beers.

What a trip.

Dex

CQ_Fisher
16-11-2005, 02:28 PM
great story mate. you've gotta have pics for that.

rando
16-11-2005, 03:41 PM
Mate that sounds like a script from" Bush Mechanics" :D :D well done
rando

Dex38
16-11-2005, 04:38 PM
I am attempting to get hold of some snaps. More to follow.

Dex

Rainman
21-11-2005, 08:18 PM
Apart from the bow of the hornet pointing skyward what made you think it was a croc?? Were there any scratch marks or had you left bait or fish in the boat........I've not heard of a croc launching itself onto an anchored boat before? I went to King As Bay this time last year and hired one of the house-boats you probably saw around. We didn't catch huge amounts of Barra in the rivers but had a fair bit of success around the rocky headlands outside of the mouths. Sight-casting for big barra in the rocks............I don't think it gets any better. I had some mates who stayed on Centre island a couple of weeks ago..........they might have been the blokes there when you arrived....they're from Mt Isa and Brisbane.

Great report....any pics yet.

ShaneJ
21-11-2005, 09:19 PM
Good story mate.
I was up at King Ash Bay for a month earlier this year. I loved the pace, it was the best trip I have ever been on and I hope to get there again. I made a few trips out around center island chasing some reefies and did pretty well.

Dex38
22-11-2005, 08:09 AM
Rainman, Clarke Bay is usually free from these big critters, but the crab pots we had out were getting smashed and dragged away. In the end the guys gave up. We saw a number of big crocs around the corner in Survey Bay. The night the boat went under was absolutely still, the water was like glass. I had my 4.35m Hornet anchored in the same area as well. The back of the 5 meter hornet which went under was a bit of a mess. A bait board and crab pots left on the floor of the boat were gone when we started salvaging everything in the morning. Boats this size don't turn turtle for no reason. As for photo's, I'm awaiting some images from the guys standing on the beach whilst my mate and I recovered the boat to send them to me.

Have fun

Dex

major-defect
22-11-2005, 09:52 AM
I've heard of crocs sinking boats trying to get in over the side for the bait.

JENNYGROUP
22-11-2005, 05:52 PM
Dex,
Are you sure there wasn't a few too many beers and an accident with the bungs being left out? Sounds like something I'd do.

Rainman
22-11-2005, 06:49 PM
Jennygroup - maybe the Croc took the bungs out!

Rainman

Duyz72
24-11-2005, 07:31 PM
BUNG MAN to the rescue!

Needmorerum
25-11-2005, 05:13 PM
Top report there Dex. What was the trip up like? I'd love to get up to that area, but not sure whether to take our 4m tinnie or our 575 Cruise Craft. What type of fishing is better off, and what were the roads like?
Look forward to seeing some pics.

Corry

JENNYGROUP
26-11-2005, 08:21 AM
Corry, me and 5 mates went to Borroola this time last year and we took my 4.35 Top Ender with a 50 Yamaha, a 4.65 Angler with a 60 Yamaha and a 4m v-nose punt with a 30 Yamaha. All 3 boats handled everything the Macarther and Carrington rivers had to offer with ease, but the v-nose punt struggled a bit when we went out around centre island etc. We trolled and flicked lures and had about the same success with both, although we had a few early morning sessions sight casting to barra around the rocky headlands in the bay around centre island which were absolutely brilliant. I suppose it really depends wether you want to head out into the big pond or flick/troll lures in the river. With the exception of the last 30 or so kms of dirt into King Ash bay (which was pretty corrogated), the roads were all sealed. We didn't break anything at all on trailers or vehicles but did take it pretty easy heading into King Ash on the dirt.

Rainman
26-11-2005, 01:17 PM
I went up that way myself last year and found there were a lot of wild horses on the road that can make the trip pretty exciting - also the Cape Crawford Hotel is worth a look and a quiet beer.

We had a failry similar experience with the best fishing out through the mouth of the Carrington River flicking lures around the rocky headlands. I caught a couple of monster threadfin salmon as well which was great until my fishing mate dropped my net overboard whilst trying to land another one. We took my Hornet up there which went really well.

JENNYGROUP
26-11-2005, 06:32 PM
Rainman, I can relate to poor net etiquette, I had a similar experience with a mate of mine dropping the net overboard so he could save his rod which was about to get snapped on a mangrove because he didn't get his line in when I was muscling a fish and before he knew it his $500 G.loomis rod was disappearing into the tree. Luckily another boat was handy and they came over and netted the fish for us, WITH THEIR NET. I had to hand over my rod still attached to the fish so I could help my mate extract his rod from the mangroves. Funny stuff. How did you rate the Hornet in those rivers. A mate of mine is thinking about purchasing one, but I've been trying to talk him into a top ender for that sort of fishing.
Dex, still waiting for those photo's mate.

Rainman
26-11-2005, 08:20 PM
Jennygroup - the Hornet was excellent but I guess it depends on what your mate wants to do..I wouldn't be too keen on taking the Hornet into any sort of decent chop. I had it down at Peter Faust recently and it was perfect for those conditions.............except I almost ran over a bloke at about 10.30pm who was floating around in a tyre tube with no light (Apparently the battery had gone flat!!!) doh! I think he'd had too many runs beofre he went out!!

Dex38
28-11-2005, 07:51 AM
Corry, we took my 4.35 m Hornet, a 5 m Hornet, a 4.0 m and 50 m tinny and a 5m quintrex. Your 4.0 m tinny would be fine, I was stupid enough the last time I went to take a 3.6m out to Centre Island. I have since upgraded to a 4.35 m Hornet. The roughest part of the trip out to the Island is when you escape the confines of the river mouth and appear in no mans land before moving into the security of the island group. This is about 4 miles of open and most times choppy ocean. Take a GPS or you will have a hell of a time coming back in to the McArthur River Channel. The Channel is surrounded by mud banks which will catch you out . The Channel is about 100m wide and is better marked now. It appears the authorities have got together amd placed marker bouys in the major parts of the Chanmnel but they are over 500m apart and damn hard to find on re-entering a mangrove covered coustline. Upon entering the channel the outer marker is about 3km out so you need good eyes or good waypints on your GPS.
The area is populated with large pods of dolphin and dugong.

A few of the guys wanted to get into the reef fish but the winds can keep you to the small bays most of the time. It's about a 30km trip out to the island via the McArthur.

As I stated at the start of this topic, the locals up there informed me Centre Island has been handed over to them. So what this means now is yet to be determined.

Have fun

Dex