PDA

View Full Version : Caloundra Quickie

fritzy
29-11-2005, 09:07 AM
Mate offered a lift up to Caloundra for a quick spin on the dusk high tide, providing I could supply lures and tackle. I couldn't resist. Speaking to one of the locals the GTs have quietened down a bit in the last week, so didn't have high expectations. Met fellow ausfish member Girella, great to meet you mate. Fished from about 5pm onwards - no hits during daylight hours. Again, soon as it got dark got absolutely pummelled by a big GT (guessing probably around 4-5 kg) but lost the bugger right in against the rocks. Local fella pulled a nice one around 4 kg, so he went home happy. Me and my mate were happy anyway - just one hit from a fish like that is worth the 2.5 hour round trip. The feeling of being smashed when your winding flat out and suddenly your reel handle stops dead and line starts spewing off the reel is up there with the most exhilerating experiences ever. Don't think i could ever get tired of that feeling. Was dissapointed that the hooks didn't hold - i was using a pair of Mustard 5/0 big guns on the back of my new favourite raider 85. (It had done several Fraser trips with me). Anyone got any tips on the best way to stay connected hook wise or treble wise when spinning?? Biggest down side of the trip was the loss of my favourite raider 85, as well as several others to snags and snapping...
Ah well, there's plenty more fish in the sea.
Cheers Fritzy

Hookem_Herby
29-11-2005, 09:22 AM
Good stuff Fritzy!
Good to see you still terrorising the GT population up at Caloundra. Pity about dropping a nice fish at the water's edge ... but like you said, plenty more fish in the sea. I'm hoping to get up there for a fish tomorrow nite .. will let you know.
Cheers,
Herby

fritzy
29-11-2005, 09:30 AM
Best of luck herb. Most interested in how ya go. Definately recon that the 85 grams are the go after last night mate. Other fella out there using 65 and 40 didn't have any luck. I am stuck at work again, tommorrow night and friday, but am planning (scheming) another assault tonight if i can con my cousin into giving me a lift, and i can get a loan for a car organised (as well as a trip to the tackle store for more raiders). How was the 1770 trip??
Cheers Fritzy

Hookem_Herby
29-11-2005, 09:51 AM
Fritzy,
Have sent you a PM. Have a look and get back to me.
1770 trip was awesome ... still writing it, will post shortly.

Herby

cuzzamundi
29-11-2005, 02:55 PM
great stuff fritzy! it is the best feeling and is what keeps us coming back! were you off the boardwalk?

cheers,

cuzza

jackash
29-11-2005, 03:55 PM
Haha cuzza hes jsut headed up the coast again to have another crack. Not sure exactly but i think it was off the rocks near Dickie Beach or something.
Cheers
Jackash