PDA

View Full Version : Top Day Offshore Gold Coast

Franco
30-11-2005, 10:51 PM
Beautiful mornings fishing. #Didn't even get spewey!

Today's score:
2 Dolphinfish, biggest 25 lb
1 wahoo
Lost 2 billfish; 1 pulled the hooks, the other accounts for one of 2 bizarre events:

Event 1; Bug bull Dolly didn't jump, hardly ran, and then gently came to the gaff a little too green for our liking. #Went friggin Psycho as expected after the alarm bell gaff woke him up. #Bloody near broke my arm, then proceeded to break the Penn inter 20, which is now in for repair!

Event 2; #Hooked nice billfish, then stayed tight for maybe 30 seconds before hooks came free. #Wound in for the lure post-mortem, only to find the shaft of the Gamakatsu saltwater fly hook had broken off!! #Geez, never seen THAT before!

Top day out, God I LOVE IT out there! #

Franco
30-11-2005, 10:53 PM
Yummy!!

Franco
30-11-2005, 10:54 PM
We finally got one of those 8 kg models you Brisbane boys have been gettin!!

Franco
30-11-2005, 10:55 PM
Don't Touch!

Any_Weather
30-11-2005, 11:05 PM
Mate that dolphin fish sure is impressive. Bet you get plenty of good feeds out of him. Looks like the weather was reasonable to. Well done again mate.

Angla
30-11-2005, 11:48 PM
They are nice looking fish. What do the dolphin fish taste like when cooked?
The weather looked ordinary to fair but I still wish I were in your boots today

Good pic's too

Angla.

Sportfish_5
30-11-2005, 11:51 PM
Is that david greens boat ?

Bugga - thats one that got past :-/ Nice dollie

Cheers

Greg

01-12-2005, 12:05 AM
yeah it looks like Greenie's boat... and what a fish!

Were you guys trolling around the bait? Or over structure ... What dept is all the bait hanging around in off the Goldy/how far out were you guys Franco?

Regards
CT

jeffo
01-12-2005, 06:02 AM
what line class were you using for the hook to break?

blacks or sails?

hercules
01-12-2005, 06:06 AM
have had these hooks snap once before on a bill using 8kg but we still use them
craig

Holy_Mackerel
01-12-2005, 06:07 AM
Great fish Franco. And great news for us goldie boys. Well done.
Wes

magicpudding
01-12-2005, 07:32 AM
We had one of them snap on the leader on sunday, but never before have I seen them snap while fishing 8kg. I wouldn't be keen to use them with much more than 8kg line.
Thats a great sized dollie.

CJ

Frank_Oostenbroek
01-12-2005, 08:10 AM
Hi Franco,

It looks like you actually go out more often than I do. I wouldn't have thought it possible.

Great Fish, Great Photos, Great News.

I hope they come up to Bribie in the near future.

FrankOO

craigie
01-12-2005, 12:41 PM
Franco,

Great looking fish mate 8-)

I noticed your running a 150 Honda (v-tech) on your platey. What type of fuel usage are you getting for a day out, including trolling and cruising ??
I've read heaps about this engine, on paper it's by far the most economical 150 on the market.
Would like to hear from an owner what they run like.

Regards

Craigie.

Franco
01-12-2005, 12:48 PM
Angla: they taste bloody fantastic, although I find them a bit dry (like tuna in a way) so I avoid grilling them.

Greg- Yes it Dave's boat mate. #Man! You got a good eye for a familiar boat! #We went out the other day and He scored another big Dolly, but we pulled hooks on 2 other billfish as well. #An unlucky start to the billfish season!

CT- didn't find one bait school, only trolled current lines

Jeffo- I think the hook broke on only 8kg string, believe it or not. #Not going hard on the fish either, it was still his first run. #We think it was a little black, but earlier had had a strike from a sail which came back twice but failed to hook up.

CJ / Craig- interesting to hear you guys have had them snap as well. #We'd never seen this happen before. #Breaking on the leader is one thing, but before the tag goes in is another!!

Frank- yeah lately i've been going out heaps, mostly jack fishing which is highly unsociable hours. #But I've been gettin plenty and they're too much fun it's addictive! #Been scoping out new spots which is always time consuming too. #Gotta cut back fishing trips or I'm gonna end up in counselling! #Hope you get some dollies soon.

But before I cut back on the fishing ....... Hmmmmm ..... Mackerel!!

bidkev
01-12-2005, 12:51 PM
Beautiful fish mate and bloody good photos...they say it all.

kev

flickflack
01-12-2005, 02:14 PM
Good one franco hope to get out with Kev on Monday , man the weather has been crap the last few mondays.

Argle
01-12-2005, 03:15 PM
Awesome Dollie :o :o :o :o :o

CamH
01-12-2005, 03:28 PM
Anyone ever used the Tiemco brand of hooks. I think they are a style of Japanese fly fishing hook? They are still light gauge but strong and seem to work great in small to medium skirted lures. They also seem to maintain an unbelievable sharp point.

outsiderskip
01-12-2005, 04:11 PM
nice dollie franco

cheers pete

jsy_bean
02-12-2005, 12:26 AM
well done mate , nice looking dolphin
Keep up the good work

jeffo
02-12-2005, 05:50 AM
might be time to switch to the katanas ;)