PDA

View Full Version : Reds and more Reds

Reefmaster
27-11-2005, 08:29 PM
With baby number 2 due this coming Thursday I took a chance to sneak another trip in to my usual haunt.(Peel Island) ;D Thinking about it now I was cutting it real fine considering where we fish there is no phone coverage, VHF was dropping in and out coverage as well and its about 5-6 hour trip to get back home if we were out wide. ::) Headed out through the Bar Saturday morning with conditions almost glassy hours and after driving for hours we got to our destination only to find the current ragging. >:( After sounding around for a while we found some nice Reds and got smoked by a few unstoppable which felt like AJ’s or Yellow tail Kingfish. The Red’s were a nice size with the odd smaller one, which were still legal but released to fight another day. Sharks once again nailed a few fish but weren’t a major problem this trip. The old man had a ripper Red on and while taking it easy to raise him a shark soon ruined any chance of seeing it. >:( After about an hour or so of good red fishing while drifting the wind turned to a Southerly direction which had wind against current making fishing very hard even with biggest amount of lead. We soon gave up and decided to go hunting for some new ground and at the same time trolling a few big hex heads. Had one hit which lasted less then a second and upon inspection showed a Wahoo had chopped more then half the skirt of the new hex head. #The next couple of hours were spent driving over the countryside looking for new bottom and plenty was found with Moses Perch and Hussar the only fish to come from them. We headed back to some close in grounds and anchored on nice show and the squire were on the chew and just as some started to get some size to them the wind direction changed around and blew us off the marks so we headed in close for some sleep. Sunday morning we woke up with wind howling so we had a troll back to the bar with the only hit being a bonito. Coming into the bar we spotted loads of birds working so on went a LuckyPhill slug and before long the Mac Tuna were coming aboard which made great fun on the spin gear and also giving us bait for the next trip. We headed through the bar around 8am and just got the edge of a storm. Another big effort with 260km covered

Just to clear a few things up because last time i received a few PM's telling me i had fished in the coral reef fish breeding closure last month. Once again we are in that period but the boundry of the closure stops at the top of Fraser Island and we fish well below this.

Cheers Greg

Ahh does it get any better then an arm full of Red

Reefmaster
27-11-2005, 08:30 PM
more

Reefmaster
27-11-2005, 08:31 PM
Oldman with a nice one

Reefmaster
27-11-2005, 08:32 PM
A new little bump we found which was holding a few nice reds.

finding_time
27-11-2005, 08:35 PM
Well thanks for that greg! Nothing i lke more than seeing someone else holding multiple reds you made my day :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Ian

Ps . Thats some wife you have got! Imagine getting a leave pass 4 days before d-day, if i even thought about it i would spend the next ten years in the dog house.

Reefmaster
27-11-2005, 08:35 PM
A nice red which came straight after pic above was taken

Reefmaster
27-11-2005, 08:36 PM
And for something different a nice sized hussar.

uripper
27-11-2005, 09:04 PM
Greg
Am curious ...
Q1. Are you going across Wide Bar Bar & if so where do you launch & leave vehicle&trailer??
Q2. You headed in close for some sleep - where do find a suitable anchorage??
Q3. What type of rig do you use (send photo of boat & motor)
Cheers ... Rip

morty103
27-11-2005, 09:07 PM
Beautiful Fish :D
Well done
A mate of mine got back from swains the other day and got two reds which were 25 and 33 pound!
Morty

scuttlebutt
27-11-2005, 09:17 PM
They're some nice reds. You certainly cover the ground to get to them. No doubt they'd be on the chew up here and the weather's great but it's a bit far for us to get out of the restricted zone!

cheers,

steve

SeaSaw
27-11-2005, 09:33 PM
Nice reds again Greg and thats a ripper of a hussar as well :D

Did you know that if you zoom in that third picture and run it through some digital enhancment software, you can just make out the GPS marks on your sounder :-X ;D ;D ::)

Cheers,

Mark

Burley_Boy
27-11-2005, 09:44 PM
Ahhh Greg you're an inspiration :)

Brejen
27-11-2005, 10:04 PM
AS usual Greg bloody awesome.

MAte just a little request the pic with your Dad holding the Red you think you could zoom in next time on the GPS ::) ::) ::).

Again mate bloody awesome.

Brett

isaac
28-11-2005, 08:29 AM
nice fish greg :o do you ever get sick of eating reds? :D :D ;D cheers isaac

reeldreamer
28-11-2005, 09:40 AM
Very nice! Great catch Greg :o Hope everything goes well for you and the Misses on thursday! Well done again!

Mitch

Chris_Riethmuller
28-11-2005, 11:05 AM
Greg, a corker catch as usual, how far out do you fish up there, I assume by the depth you are not quite at the shelf,
rgds Beefa

vertico
28-11-2005, 04:13 PM
Greg, you do it to us all again!!!!
well done thats a great catch!

uripper, you arent planning on following him out one day ?

dfox
28-11-2005, 05:16 PM
Another great effort greg! your sure knocking up some k's lately chasing those red fish. Good luck in the coming days with the arrival of the new decky, i expect a phone call when he or she arrives.. ;D

nhoj
28-11-2005, 09:22 PM
Hi Greg,
Could you tell from the sounder reading that there were reds there or did it just look like a possibility? What type of sounder do you use?
NHOJ

Anne-T-Dote
28-11-2005, 10:28 PM
Hey Greg,

Good to hear a few stories from you lately - you went a bit quiet there for a while. Also good to see your stories are as good as ever. Well done there once again to you and your old man.

I have also been a bit quiet. That work thing has been getting in the way and also have been doing a few projects at home - you know how it is. Ah well, one day soon I'll be back on the water.

Good luck with the young one coming into the world.

Cheers and al the best,

Rob.

noluck
28-11-2005, 11:51 PM
[smiley=2thumbsup.gif] well done grag top fish nice husser
how long was bigest red.
and i wish u all best mate and hope all gose well tomorow with new baby
cheers No_uck

outsiderskip
29-11-2005, 05:37 AM
very nice chewing fish their greg
nice catch

cheers pete

Billo
29-11-2005, 07:58 AM
How unusual Greg ....you with a splash of RED :o ;D

nice effort AGAIN ....

seajayman
29-11-2005, 09:10 AM
Well done mate... ;D I was just wondering what rod, reel and line you use as I am currently looking for a similar outfit... Also what kind of rig you use? Thanks mate

and once again well done! :P

snagged15
29-11-2005, 09:48 AM
Holy moly reefmaster,
i didn't know they grew that big. Do they grow bigger than those?!?
Snags

redspeckle
29-11-2005, 09:07 PM
Bump
How can you make a nice reply to Reef Master with something like that above :o post
Mitch

Zeeke
29-11-2005, 09:07 PM
Fwoar.. you ripper Uripper, give him all he diserves... he's a bastard and needs a good serve...

Tim

vertico
29-11-2005, 09:15 PM
bit of a touchy subject there uripper ?

simple question take it how you want to take it.

RIP <- mate get a life or is this it ?

finding_time
29-11-2005, 09:49 PM
Greg
Am curious ...
Q1. Are you going across Wide Bar Bar & if so where do you launch & leave vehicle&trailer??
Q2. You headed in close for some sleep - where do find a suitable anchorage??
Q3. What type of rig do you use (send photo of boat & motor)
Cheers ... Rip

Uripper.

You have to admit that to anyone reading the above thread i does look like you are getting all the information for a STAKE OUT.
I'm sure Vertico was just making a joke and i think you have treated him a little harshly i think you need to give vertico a big HUG ;D ;D ;D to make both of you feel a little better. After all it is Christmas :) :) :) ;)

vertico
29-11-2005, 09:52 PM
Ian

i like your style
hugs for ian :)
hahahaha
see you on the water ian
sean

Zeeke
29-11-2005, 10:02 PM
big HUGS!!! awww... [smiley=iloveyou.gif] [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

woah woah woah [smiley=stop.gif] :)? [smiley=devil.gif] [smiley=behead.gif]

Tim

vertico
29-11-2005, 10:11 PM
iam only hugging ian get your own man :)
haha
:-?

dfox
30-11-2005, 08:04 PM
Gee greg youve got a few questions to answer on this post lol ;D ;D ;D

uripper
01-12-2005, 09:24 PM
Crickey Greg even though "baby number 2 due this coming Thursday" ie today, ya gotta get ya priorities right mate (hopefully u have & all is well with the little'n) - look forward to hearing from u soon - Rip

finding_time
01-12-2005, 11:38 PM

I think Vertico may have a few to answer as well ::) ::) ::)

Reefmaster
02-12-2005, 10:37 PM
Well i will try this again. # >:(

I had finished with the reply a couple of nights ago and just as i was about to post it we had a very close lightning strike which took the power out. Bugger >:(

The Baby doesn't want to show it's face and the doc may let it go for another week. It's only 2 days overdue maybe i can get another fishing trip in. ;D ::)

Thanks for the comments everyone.

uripper- Usually beach launch from DI Point but with very little protection from the N-NE winds at the moment we have been heading out the bar of late using both Tin Can Bay ramp and the ramp near Rainbow beach (Carlos point)
The only place to get some protection is by sneaking into the bay area of DI Point where there is a large cove protected by big sand bank running to the SW of the headland. The boat is only a 5.5m JBS plate alloy cuddy cab powered by a Suzuki 115 fuel injected 2 stroke. Sorry no pics ;) ;D

Lmao Mark ;D

Brejen- I will take a picture of the gps closer next time no worries at all. It does not show co-ordinates while on the plotter screen ;D ;D ;D

Beefa- Depending what we intend on chasing the distance when targeting reds can range from 40-80km from DI. The depth to the shelf can vary but its mostly 60-70 m for most of the way to the shelf (depending if your fishing south, east or north of DI. The further south the deeper it is to the shelf and the opposite when you head north.)

Dave those red fish certainly require the effort that’s for sure. When the bub comes mate I will be sure that uncle Dave gets a call. (All uncles have to change nappies ;D) And even non-uncles by blood still have to do it. ;D :P

nhoj- Being in the areas we fish the only fish that’s shows on the sounder like that is reds. They can be identified pretty easy. The sounder is a JRC ff50. Top unit.

Rob- Good to hear from you mate but it's disappointing to see you are to busy for some fishing :(. You have gotta get your head together mate and think like a fisherman. ;) Remember fishing comes first. ;D Must catch up soon.

seajayman- The reel is the new Shimano Tyrnos 30 loaded with 55lb mono line matched to a 6 foot custom made rod by John Pope at Rod Design Scarborough 3203 4877. Top combo and good for many different applications.
The rig we use on reds is just a Paternoster single hook set rig with ganged or single hooks. (50-100 pound leader)

snagged15- Those Reds were only average sized fish and can grow double that size but are not that common. A good red is around 8-10kg with a stand out fish around the 13kg. Around a15kg Red are a fairly rare catch and anything over that is a one in a lifetime fish. The Biggest to date we have caught is 18.1kg which was a site to be seen. :o :o 8-) (as pictured below)

Regards,

Greg

Pic of 18.1kg Red ;D

Reefmaster
02-12-2005, 10:38 PM
and another sideways

Lucky_Phill
03-12-2005, 07:23 AM
Ah Gregie,

hope all goes well with the hatchling and we'll see pics, no doubt.

And Yes, I have been quite ( I can hear ya ) :)

Many reasons..................... ::)

BTW, bloody ripper Hussar, we rounded up some at 1770 a while ago running in at 50cms odd. Great on the chew !

May get to catch up around chrissie !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers Phill

Jay_S
03-12-2005, 08:04 AM
Excellent work mate :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
They are some big, great, excellent and pritty fish you ;D :)
I hope everythink goes good for your miss's [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

Jay [smiley=bandana.gif]

Brejen
03-12-2005, 08:57 AM
Brejen- I will take a picture of the gps closer next time no worries at all. It does not show co-ordinates while on the plotter screen ;D ;D ;D

BUGGER. Mate thanks anyway. ;D ;D ;D

All the best to you and the wife and the new addition.

Brett