PDA

View Full Version : Caloundra Quickie Take 2

fritzy
30-11-2005, 12:33 AM
Giday fellas,
On account of a lost fish yesterday, felt i needed to even the score tonight. With my cousin up from melbourne and staying at Mooloolabah what better excuse did i need for a second assault. While my cousin and second cousin had not done much fishing before i somehow managed to talk them into a "quick trip to caloundra", not only for the fishing but the beautiful sunsets as well. Uncertain, they said can we drink a beer or two there as well. You betcha i said...
Water again looked sensational even in daylight, so again started slinging (brand new 8 dollar) raider 85s before it got dark. Saw something terrorising bait fish maybe 50 metres out and this got the blood pumping. Tried to teach cousin and second cousin how to fish with raiders, they were getting the hang of it a little to quick, and my hands weren't spending enough time on the rod... Finally took a hit before dark - GT of around 2kg or so. Strange but no hits for me after dark tonight. This may have had something to do with my early departure (cousins had itchy feet, were wet and cold). Another fella out there took a much nicer one, and a bloke fishing with bait pinned a large tailor. Caught up with a few of the other ausfish members, Westie, Caloundra, and Herby - fantastic to meet you guys in person. Westie mate, don't worry i still have your pliers, found them left on the rock where i bled the fish - thanks alot mate - sorry i forgot to give em straight back to ya - will get them to ya when i am up next. If ya need em sooner - i can probably mail em.
Hoping big time that Herby will have some sensational story and fish to add to this post - he was staying for the peak time. Sorry i had to leave so soon, would have loved to fish on for another hour or so with ya - but cousins were pulling me legs out from under me. PS Herb - nailed him on a new BLUE raider... Maybe there is something to this colour business... My new favourite raider - how long before i lose it??
Cheers Fritzy
PS. Should get few action shots and pics of fish in the next day or so.

fritzy
30-11-2005, 01:57 AM
Sorry guys,
its a bit late, i am a bit sleep deprived (still pumped about the GT) and almost hysterical, but just found out that i passed my final university physiotherapy exams, and got a distinction for my honours project. Am mega relieved cause i was more than a little worried about my final examination, not to mention my year long honours project completed 2 hours before it was due...
YEEEEEEEEHHAAAAAAAAA!!! Only bummer is that i won't get first class honours that i was hoping for - but at the end of the day - i don't REALLY CARE!!! Bring on GRADUATION (and more importantly the after party) - where gorgeous physio women get gorgeously dressed up :o :o!! WOOHOOO!!!
Bring on Australia! Bring on fishing! Bring on Ausfish! And bring on BIG GTs!
Cheers Fritzy

revs57
30-11-2005, 05:23 AM
Congrats on your honours Fritzy...oh and the big GT,

Cheers

Rhys

DNO40
30-11-2005, 05:25 AM
Congrats on both posts.

DNO

Hookem_Herby
30-11-2005, 06:01 AM
Good onya Fritzy! That's fantastic news about your physio results.
Unfortunately the trevally didn't come out to play last night after dark (as hoped and predicted). I kept spinning and working the rocks until after 8pm for not a single hit. The other boys further up on the rocks gave it away as well so looks like you nailed the bite time yesterday. We'll get another crack at them soon mate, when you're up with the family. :) :P 8-)
Indeed, very nice to meet you, Westie and Daniel (Caloundra). Was a mini Caloundra M&G. ;D Congrats again on another GT and your uni results.
Catch ya,
Herby

westie
30-11-2005, 08:31 AM
Congrats on your honours Fritzy, As for the pliers I am coming down to lawnton today if that is around you let me know and I can call in. if not when you come up for a Mack attack give me an excuse to get a spare pair for my Land Based box.
Shame you didn't get among them a bit more but I could tell you were stoked with the one you got.

Was great to meet you all and hope to do some fishing out the front of Mooloolaba.
Westie

fritzy
30-11-2005, 10:16 AM
Cheers Fellas,
Feels great today!! ;D ;D Am heading off to straddie on thurs to friday to see the girlfriend. Might just have to hide a spin stick in my bag ;) ;)... Herb, weird that they didn't bite after dark last night.
Ah well, there's always next trip...
Cheers Fritzy

Girella
30-11-2005, 12:04 PM
Tough life you have there Fritzy.

Congratulations and all the best.
PK

caloundra
30-11-2005, 12:18 PM
fritzy and herby nice to meet you
as for you westie. well.... thats another story ;)
I think I'll have to have a go at some of that action
pitty about the long drive....
for some ::)

Daniel

Hookem_Herby
30-11-2005, 01:14 PM
Daniel,
As of next year I'll be a Sunny Coast local as well!!! #;) ;D :P

Fritzy,
Yeah, pity I didn't get there a bit sooner, Would love to have gotten amongst them or at least seen you hook and land your GT. Oh well, that's fishin right??? Have fun on Straddie mate. Have a go off the rocks at Pt Lookout, near the gauge. #;)

Westie,
I'll be in some of that mack action off Mooloolaba once they show up in numbers. We'll have to co-ordinate a day out soon.

Nice to meet a few more Ausfishos. #:) ;D

Catch ya,
Herby

jackash
30-11-2005, 01:21 PM
Haha and I'll be chasing the macks of Mooloolaba with Fritzy too... unfortunately i couldnt make it last night due to a mates 18th, but I'm desperate to have a crack. Everytime Fritzy comes home with these stories... I cant take it any more! Need to have a go myself!!!
Cheers
Jackash

fritzy
30-11-2005, 02:01 PM
Cheers Girella, will have to catch up properly for a fish sometime. Like you said, REAL TOUGH LIFE atm.

Herb, Dan my new job is at Redcliffe - does that count as being a sunny coast local?? At least it shaves 40 minutes off the trip to our secret spot eh... Spot X shall we call it... Hopefully work finishes by 4-430 gives me a chance to get out there by 530 on a weeknight... [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif]
Put my chefs hat on [smiley=chef.gif] [smiley=chef.gif]and just had skinned GT fillets for lunch - cooked with tomato, soy, lime, shallots and cracked pepper - ALMOST as good as catching them...
Cheers Fritzy
PS. Wouldn't it be great if fishing from ocean rocks could be a paid profession... That spot is just sensational - even if there are no fish around - its just such a great spot to fish.

gunna
01-12-2005, 10:03 AM
Daniel,
As of next year I'll be a Sunny Coast local as well!!! #;) ;D :P

Two weeks for me Herby. Feel free to include me in those plans ;D ;D ;D

a
01-12-2005, 09:09 PM
Boys theres something not right about comin to our waters and stealing our fish?
But never mind, i caught up with the one of the bait fisho's with the alvey's last night when i tried to take up where you left off.
4xTailor where taken with the smallest being 2.2kg after 8.30pm. That first Tailor u mentioned was actually a small shark, did u notice how the surfers thinned out after that was caught.
Not much doin ther last night, flicked the 85's and 65's for about an hour before I got spanked by something that wanted to go to Bribie. Unfortunately my old faithful Abu crapped out and locked up mid fight, after tossing it to high ground I tried to hand line her in but got busted off on the rock ledge.
New Moon fri though so I'll be back. if i can get he abu working.

Nice fish boys and fritzy what can ur learned female collegues do with a strained groin?

Cheers

fritzy
02-12-2005, 09:51 PM
The old handlining technique armoz. Don't know how many times i've tried it on big fish. Wind the line round the back of an alvery - try the handline technique, break a rod - try the handline technique, break a reel - try the old handline technique. Good on ya for having a crack!!Sounds like you had on something well and truly worth catching.
What time did ya arrive on tuesday - was looking out for ya.
Cheers Fritzy
PS. how did ya go on friday champ?
PPS. Some of my learned female colleagues are particularly good at massaging groin regions... Recon i could convince em into a groin massage if ya showed em a fish that was big enough... 20 lb GT would be fairly impressive...

fritzy
03-12-2005, 08:35 AM
Pics hopefully they work.
Cheers Fritzy
Hookup - Woohooo!!

fritzy
03-12-2005, 08:42 AM
Nearly lost him around the rocks!!

fritzy
03-12-2005, 08:44 AM
Got him!! Good thing that old matt gave me a hand. Otherwise he would have gone back to his fishy brothers... Like the one the day before... Felt great to even the score...

fritzy
03-12-2005, 08:48 AM
Helped my cousin to get the hang of spinning. It didn't take him long...

fritzy
03-12-2005, 08:53 AM
Night time spinning... Where are you big fellas??? ;D

fritzy
03-12-2005, 08:59 AM
Here fishy fishy...

fritzy
03-12-2005, 09:01 AM
With the cousin. Great to catch up with a cousin and catch a fish.

fritzy
03-12-2005, 09:02 AM
With my second cousin. Cheers Matt. Thanks for a great day fellas.

Jacksta
03-12-2005, 12:14 PM
Fritzy mate your a bloody machine i was at caloundra for 5 days from monday to friday off the rocks there with poppers and slugs, but didnt get anything so i changed to bait around the washes got some nice bream and reefies i guess im not persistant enough ay?!? oh well everytime i read you stories it makes me want to get out there again and have another crack... once i get one the persistance thing wont be a matter

Cheers Joel :P

fritzy
03-12-2005, 06:43 PM
Giday Jacksta,
Mate, they are there, so persistence is the name of the game. Lot of casting between hits, but when your rod goes off its all worth it.
were you fishing the same spot for the bream and reefies? What type of reefies did ya get and were they legal? We tried the first arvo with bait - and a mate got one nice flatty and got bitten off by what we thought was a big bream. What rig/bait were you using? Thought that spot looked bloody good for bream. I would imagine there would be some real rippers there around winter time. Maybe a new bream spot?
Cheers Fritzy
PS. Check your PMs.

jackash
03-12-2005, 08:31 PM
All i can say is that I'm getting mighty anxious about getting out there very soon and having a crack myself!! And i can also say that trevally tasted mighty nice!!!

Jacksta
03-12-2005, 10:26 PM
Mate i was fishing exactly were you are in those photo's about 4:30am on 8lb line and a 20lb trace but with no sinker and a small suicide and chopped in half Hardy Heads. Got some nice bream biggest one going 35cm, Heaps of pickers ex: Butterbream, wrasse, Squirrel's etc. But the better reefies consisted of Fingermark, Parrot and a few Lippers! Every single reefy was caught in the early hours of the morning and got bream all through the day! Im real tempted to float some pillies out under a balloon and see what happens what are your thoughts on this?!?
PS: Rub it in Jackash :P Cheers Guys

a
04-12-2005, 04:06 PM
20lb GT I'll buy one if I have to.
Tuesday got there about 6pm. Wednesday about 5.30 and broke the reel about 6.20.
Friday bucketed down like there was no tomorrow as soon as I thought about going fishing.

Will give them another go this week, but I thnk the week afters tides will be better.
I might chase some jacks in the canals as they have been very abgry of late