PDA

View Full Version : Soveriegn Islands

gogecko
05-12-2005, 11:32 AM
Did a bit of trolling around Soveriegn Islands on Sat arvo. Looking for jacks, and thought the cleaner water near the river mouth might be the go. Tried a lure that dives to 3 ft, and another that dives to 20 ft. Trolled all the way around both sides of the island, but no hits. Got excited when the reel went off, only to find that the deep lure had snagged on weeds. Nearly ready to come home as the sun set, but decided to drop the pick near the west wall, and got a consolation trevor. Im surprised he didn’t fight that hard, might have been something to do with the short rod and tight drag setup tho.
Seems to be a regular spot for trevors, as Ive seen em there right on sunset a few times now. They didn’t hit the popper or sp, but woofed down a Reidys B52 hard lure.

The trevor went 42cm. Not as big as JTs (well done), and he was sacrificed on the bbq with lemon pepper and lime juice.

JT
05-12-2005, 05:41 PM
Hey Gogecko,

Nice fish mate, do they taste allright? My finace asked why I didn't bring it home, actually she asked that about everytime I get onto good fish and don't bring anything home ;D ;D. Be alright if she ate flathead but she rekons they look like a cane toad. Didn't help that the first time I bought one home I presented it to her whole, cooked in foil [smiley=oops.gif].
What sized gear were you using, thinking of heading down to Sovereign later in the week before work to have a go for some Jacks.

Cheers

John

cuzzamundi
05-12-2005, 07:29 PM
nice trevor gogecko. we've pulled in a few there too., apparently some awesome jacks hang around the bridge, but im yet to pull one in from there. well done.

cuzza

matt20
05-12-2005, 08:40 PM
I havnt fished soverign of late but it seems to be my brothers favourite fishing spot and hes doing very well. I know theres a few trevas that hang around the western side in the morning that often bust up the wall. Theres also a good little 'bay' on the southern side directly west of the giant house we all admire. Here theres so many fish you can catch. For jacks you may be best off throwing poppers up against the walls and jettys in the morning before and after sunrise.

gogecko
06-12-2005, 09:51 AM
HI guys. I know a few people dont like to eat trevors, but I reckon theyre fine. I throw all my Tailor back now, but I'll eat trevors. Nearly as good as flathead. I cook most fish whole becasue my missus reckons we lose to much flesh if I fillet them, lol. I do cut the head of the lizrds tho, they are a bit ugly.

For gear I use 2 rods. First is a 5'6" ugly stick rated at 15kg with 15kg braid, and 15 kg fluro leader, and a baitrunner reel. Its a bit overkill for the braodwater, but this rod doubles as an offshore floatliner, and in the rivers, Im mainly targeting jacks. The second rod is a cheapy Jarvis walker 6'6" 10-15 kg, with 10 kg braid and 15kg leader. I alternate between all types of lures, mainlybecause Im still learning about the best conditions for each. I use Rapala poppers, Halco and Reidys hard lures, Atomic and Berkley SPs in 3 " and Squidgy in 5". Im still a fan of live herring, but too be honest, they dont work as well under the bridge because theres so many herring around for the fish to choose from. I do better if I net them there and go to another spot.

I stopped targeting bream and flathead and forced my self to target jacks and other fighting fish by leaving the pillies and cast net at home and only taking lures. I come home with less fish, but Im learning more about different species.

Ive done many a night at Sov Is under the main bridge. Never got a jack there, but plenty of tailor, trevors, bream and flathead. Never done an early morning session there, I do them in the mid reaches of the Coomera. Im sure the trevors are there at dawn as well as sunset, but if its a windy day, dont bother.
I reckon the western side is the go, but I see Brownies mentioned the East side as well a few weeks ago.

cheers
Andrew

Fishin_Dan
06-12-2005, 10:01 AM
Gday Andrew, nice little trevor there mate! Shame it didn't give you too big a fight...

Which rod did you catch him on? Have you managed to blood the rod yet?

gogecko
06-12-2005, 10:29 AM
Hi Dan,
I caught him on the ugly stick, with drag wound up tight.

No I havent blooded the rod that I got from you yet. Im still waiting on a reel to match it up to. I was gunna us the baitrunner, but then I got the ugly stick, and its more suited to estuaries. Your 7 ft snapper rod will get its use next winter, cause I'll need 2 rods for floatlining.

Just got a TLD25 and backbone rod, and gunna concentrate on trolling around offshore reefs for summer. The Doug Burts talk night on trolling the other night was very encouraging. Quite few ausfishers there, sorry I didnt get to meet them all. Met Burley Boy, he was leaving for Europe at 9am next morning, and still hadnt packed yet. Thats what I call commitment, going to a fishing seminar instead, lol.

cheers
Andrew