PDA

View Full Version : South Passage Wide 4/12

Outsider
05-12-2005, 08:30 AM
Just lost the report as I tried to upload it. Not typing that all out again so just the highlights.

Left ramp at 4.30am.
Bay Glass.
No Bar.
No Wave Rider Bouy.
No Dollies.
Headed north.
Trolled Pakulas.
Few small tuna.
15kg Wahoo - Andy's 1st.
Pictures.
Hit from a Black.
Didn't stick.
Damn.
No pictures.
Trolled some more.
More tuna.
Bait ball.
3 way Dollie hook up.
Dancing.
Ducking.
Rod swapping.
Pictures.
Realased 2. Kept 1.
More tuna.
Headed home.

Water got up to 26.9 deg in places and very green - blue water was pretty wide. Great day with awesome conditions.

Outsider
05-12-2005, 08:33 AM
Andy and his wahoo after a day in the ice box. Pitty he lost his colours.

Outsider
05-12-2005, 08:40 AM
This bad boy went back to fight another day.

mackmauler
05-12-2005, 09:53 AM
Thats ya mate who carries the snapper pic in his wallet isnt it ;D be running out of space soon lol, real solid wahoo not one of the splinters thats been the norm.

Water is like glass, they might revoke the travalcalm sponsorship through lack of sales if this keeps up, good size dolfins how deep were they at.

Mick81
05-12-2005, 10:42 AM
What sort of lure did you use to get the dolphin?

Jacksta
05-12-2005, 10:44 AM
Nice catch mate, Did you get the wahoo on a pakula ? Great conditions out there wish i was there :( oh well great stuff ;D

Billo
05-12-2005, 03:18 PM
yeh , good size hoo , better then the latest run of the mill schoolies .
Thank god he didn't chew up your pakula ;)...or did he :-?

Outsider
05-12-2005, 04:56 PM
Rob - NO Chance of me not doping up on Travacalm before setting off - no matter how flat it is - even take one before having a shower [smiley=sick2.gif];D ::) I may be ugly, but I'm not stupid ;)

We were trolling alone, fighting to stay awake just after lunch when Andrew says he sees fish jumping. I look over and here's a dollie about 2 feet up in the air, halfway through a backflip about 50m from the boat. Swung the lures out over the little bait ball they were into and off they went like golden bullets in 3 different directions. 2 of them put on the air show, the other sulked down low.

All the fish were caught on Pakulas - I'm getting pretty sick of seeing others getting billies so i figured maybe sacrificing a few Pakulas to the razor gang would be money well spent. The hoo took a big Shrec Cockie right at the back of the boat next to the Witchdoctor. Never ceases to amaze me how fish come right up close like that. I don't run the Shrec colour much - I reckon it looks awesome but I don't see why a fish would hit it. Maybe it'll have a regular slot in the spread from now on... :-X

Dollies took the shottie and the riggers as they swung round.. Shottie was popular with tuna all day.
Those fluzi's will beat a bait jig anyday. ;D

Hoo bent the SL12 but no skirt damage. I run wire from the back of the head to the hook to stop leader damage and bite offs. I also run the hook long.

DALEPRICE
05-12-2005, 05:02 PM
top stuff outsider,
thats a great shot of the dolphin fish.
love it.
cheers dale

Thunderbird
05-12-2005, 05:10 PM
Nice going crook brook! ;D
What! only a 3 way hookup this time. You're slipping mate.
Top fish and a top day as well.
Like reading the report. to the point and no bullshit.
Good stuff keep it up ;)
Cheers birdy!

blue_rogue
05-12-2005, 05:11 PM
Great effort on the fish,

Wish the BOM would get the report right.... Great day on the water

Cheers

Dom

Franco
05-12-2005, 05:20 PM
Empathy with losing the original post ..... doesn't that hurt after all the typing!
It's actually a good read as it is mate!!

Great pics, and nice to see a solid Hoo, as Rob said.

Outsider
05-12-2005, 05:23 PM
Dale - at the point the pic of the dollie was taken we hadn't told him yet we were letting him go - cranky looking bugger.

Roota - so what you're really saying is that all my normal posts are bullshit??? :-X ;D

Took hours this morning typing it up with lots of deatil, a bit of humour, a graphic love seen, a car chase, a drug bust and everything else a good report needs. Went to upload it and lost the lot :o:-X ::) >:(

Smithy
05-12-2005, 07:25 PM
TLDs on STP Daiwas and an STP-10 at that by the look of it - like your thinking! Bit of Stren and make it two speed and you can fish with us anytime ;). Trouble is once you have the 2 speeds and then start using Tiagra 16s you really learn to appreciate Jap engineering and you will want Tiagras then. That is where we are at - dreaming of Tiagras. Going to sunset on 8kg is the sh#t!

whichway
05-12-2005, 09:25 PM
Andy and his wahoo after a day in the ice box. Pitty he lost his colours.

I thought Andy looked pretty good after being in the icebox for a day

Whichway

SeaSaw
05-12-2005, 10:57 PM
Nice catch ... love the picture of the dollie, great shot :D

Can anyone tell me where you get Pakula's at a good price on North Brissy or Sunshine Coast. I gotta put an order in for chrissy ;D

Cheers,

Mark

outsiderskip
06-12-2005, 06:02 AM
hi outsider
nice dollie and whoo

cheers pete

Outsider
06-12-2005, 07:44 PM
Mark,

PM me if you want my Pakula guys details. About 50%-60% of retail price through mail order. He can set you up with a whole spread. ;D

Cheech
06-12-2005, 08:13 PM
Good Dollie. I wand one.....

We were out there as well. Chong and I were out for the day on Prime Mover. Looking forward to my first Dollie and then we changed direction. Bugga. As you said, no waverider bouy.

I do not usually fish that area, but it did seem really low in boat traffic. Is it normally like that? Fantastic conditions.

Apart from a good run of kingies and trag at square patch, was a pretty slow day for us.

Highlight of the day was driving the boat home all the way from squarepatch to the Manly leads. John let me take it through the bar as well. That was fun.

Cheech

pegasus
06-12-2005, 08:23 PM
Hi Outsider,

loved the report and top photos- sounded a great day- look a great day out there.

thankyou

reeldreamer
08-12-2005, 10:30 AM
Nice catch! Great conditions, i bet you were hoping for some more hits though!

Smithy
08-12-2005, 08:01 PM
It wouldn't happen to be one of our members who has a little site on the side?

http://www.########.com/

Steve also sells Boss lures through Ausfish which work very well as well.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/bosslures/

Matt G from here is in with Stuart Mackenzie of Precision Rods on the Sunshine Coast and they also sell Pakulas, Black Barts etc. from Stu's shop near where Wellsys used to be.

jeffo
09-12-2005, 05:55 AM
get em from stewie and matt.

smithy- whats wrong with the good old TLD's? ;D sunset on 8kg isnt needed...2 thumbs and a fore finger does the job in apllying ample pressure ;)

Smithy
09-12-2005, 06:54 AM
Single speeds are let down by small handles. Eventually all of their cams start to creep. You have to be more on the ball with them then the Tiagras. Because of the years of use with ours, I get my 2.8kg on strike but on the bottom end of the button I am getting around 4kg and middle to top of the buttom I am getting 5kg. Over or anywhere toward sunset and it is istant bust-off ala John that day. Russ's older 2 speed is a bit more foregiving and it is 2.8kg on strike and probably 4kg anywhere on the button. The old Beastmaster 4/0 is great. It has the movable thing for your second strike position. It is 2.8kg on strike and 4kg at sunset. The new single speeds we got are also fine for the time being because the cams are new. Both are 2.8kg on strike and around 4kg the front side of the button. My oldest and most abused reel is my TLD25. It has been rebuilt twice already. Run 15kg on it. For 5kg of strike drag I am probably 7-8kg straight away on the button but if you livebait with it it is hopeless down the bottom end as straight out of freespool it is probably on 3-4kg. So when we get a fish on we need to be switched on enough to know which gear is which and how hard you can fight the fish on that gear. On Monroes boat with 6x16 Tiagras it is a no brainer. Once that strike drag is dialed in you know you can go to sunset on any reel. The drag is sequential all the way - come out of freespool and you are close to freespool, 2.8kg at strike and 4-5kg at full sunset. I know they need new cams but why spend the money if I will be fishing on other boats for most of season and you probably only get a season or so out out of the original cams.
Jeff Sparkes had a Tyronos with him for Mooloolaba comp. They looked good. New Shimano style handle, tall narrow spool and bigger ratio than a single speed. Just can't beat buying the original TLDs for $165 or whatever.

bugman
09-12-2005, 08:39 AM
Smithy - I can vouch for Tyronos. I've got two and so far have had Sailfish, Wahoo and Dolphins on the end. Very Very smoothy - no stick points in the drags and the hnadle is a dream compared to the tld. Actually the handle fits the tld if you want to shell out the $80 clams.

Which boat are you taking to the Riviera classic?

Brett

Sportfish_5
09-12-2005, 08:41 AM
Smithy - time for some TLD mods :o :o :o

http://www.thehulltruth.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=80155&start=1

Cheers

Greg

Smithy
09-12-2005, 04:20 PM
Will be on Fair Dinkum II, Deep V 310 with Monroe, Russ and Tim Matthews.

Smithy
09-12-2005, 04:29 PM
Greg just checked out the link.

I wanna go fishing, not spend all of my time in the shed!

Anyone want to go into business doing the conversions? Think of the interest the Razza handles created.