PDA

View Full Version : Barwon Banks Trawler Park

browndog
11-12-2005, 01:57 PM
Headed out early saturday morning on board Sempre.The further we proceeded the lights out wide increased,as we came up on our mark we counted 13 trawlers both anchored and trawling,all within a few kilometres of us.Question? what were they doing on wire weed bottom in 60m of water?

Fishing was average but we managed to catch a feed of pearlies and snapper,moved out wider later and added a couple more.We also caught a 13 kg dolphin fish and a 4.5 kg tailor,Unbelivable for 60 metres of water in the middle of summer.

Just one more thing to say on the trawler issue,we saw hundreds of small reef fish floating past us while we were fishing,obviously their unwanted by catch.They dumped more fish in one day then we catch in a year,what a joke.Who are the reel abusers of our waterways.??????

Cheers Browndog :) :) :)

browndog
11-12-2005, 01:58 PM
13 kg dolphin fish

browndog
11-12-2005, 02:02 PM
Catch

TheDeepSix
11-12-2005, 02:07 PM
Browndog,

A great catch, did you get any pics of the dead fish. Could be forwarded on to Dept. Fisheries..

Tiga

620sf
11-12-2005, 03:58 PM
Hey browndog, we could see all the trawlers in the afternoon as we worked our way down from the north. That would be the most we've ever seen out there for a weekend. Looks like you got yourselfs a good feed out there.

Luke

outsiderskip
11-12-2005, 06:02 PM
hi brown dog
conditions were great never seen so many trawlers
at least some good fish were caught

we had a good trip to will post tomorrow
too tired

cheers pete

jeffo
11-12-2005, 06:33 PM
we were out there too.... i think you would find those trawlers were just anchored up on the reef for the day. we didnt see any of them with lines in. they trawl that 100m area east of the banks...out on the mud

dan099
11-12-2005, 07:42 PM
dont forget where all our x mass prawns come from . as long as the obay the law !

masterdusky
11-12-2005, 08:00 PM
nice catch..and that tailor...just the lone one ??

damons33
11-12-2005, 08:08 PM
fair chop browndog! and a good catch you have there, i have caught tailor out there and really you can catch almost any fish out there on the barwons.
no trawler would put a net over hard ground thats for sure, the drift net fishing over the shallow reefs and longlining inside of 200nm is the biggest shame to our fishery. and the more we see pro's doing line fishing like dfox the better as it a discriminate form of fishing with unwanted fish released to fatten up to marketable sizes.
even prawners can manage their drags to have the lest possible by-catch results, its all in the attitude and thought put into the decision to "drop her down here".
tight lines
damon

browndog
11-12-2005, 08:40 PM
Masterdusky only the one tailor,but also caught the biggest catfish we had ever seen,it played like a snapper.It was released,unbelievable what u can catch out their. cheers browndog :) :)

sempre
11-12-2005, 09:05 PM
As sure as my ass points to ground these blokes had their nets down , ask Big Cods , he was with us . Been fishing that area for years never seen the rapists there , why did they suddenly appear . You should have seen the by-catch , terrible.

As for the catch , pretty average , i'll try to find the biggers ones for the boys next time.

To Jeffo , please dont take this the wrong way , but i fish The Mud quite often and it starts about 24km to about 28km pretty much north of the banks.

sempre
11-12-2005, 09:07 PM
By the way Browndog said the trawlers were within a few kms of us , it was more like a few meters!!!!

sempre
11-12-2005, 09:11 PM
Oops somebody has played with my post , should i say a## points to the ground next time.

SeaSaw
12-12-2005, 01:00 AM
Nice catch again guys ;)

That Perch you have (beside the tailor) or more correctly it is a member of the genus Caprodon. I know some guys from the Australian and New Zealand Museums that were doing research on this species and were after information on catches and even specimins if you are willing to send them the fish. They are considered rare although they show up from time to time on the deep grounds.

I can PM you their details if you want to pass on some info.

Cheers,

Mark

Here is a picture of one up close.

Dave
12-12-2005, 05:59 PM
Hi Browndog, I have to agree we were in amoungst the trawlers and there were quite a lot of them that were netting. We counted about the same numbers. Thought the fishing would be average and it was. Just managed a feed.

Dave

browndog
12-12-2005, 06:26 PM
Your right there hainesy makes things difficult to get a feed,the other thing the trawlers bring with them is the grey fellas with sharp teeth.
cheers browndog :) :)

jeffo
12-12-2005, 06:28 PM
guys.... the trawlers werent netting on the banks... they would all end up as wrecks. maybe cleaning their nets after a nights fishing.

Dave
12-12-2005, 06:44 PM
Not being real clued up on how the trawlers work I dont know weather they were cleaning or netting. There were at least half a dozen with their nets out though.

Dave

jeffo
12-12-2005, 06:48 PM
dave- they trawl for prawns out east of the banks. the prawns sit in the mud all day and come off the bottom a bit at night. those trawlers would have been anchored up on the hard bottom for the day. if the trawled where they were sitting on saturday we would have a new wreck beside every bump up there ;) ;D

finding_time
12-12-2005, 06:59 PM
Not being real clued up on how the trawlers work I dont know weather they were cleaning or netting. There were at least half a dozen with their nets out though.

Dave

They leave there nets out just under the water once cleaned so they stablize the boat . They dont rock much with that much net in the water

Dave
12-12-2005, 08:36 PM
I know some of these trawlers were anchored. But we did see a few of them under power with their nets out. Mabey they were cleaning their nets not to sure. Dont know how they operate.

Dave

BigCods
13-12-2005, 07:00 AM
Yes it was Queen Street out there which made for an interesting morning.......had a few motor in our direction while we were fishing and change course only when they had to.

-spiro-
13-12-2005, 09:40 AM
Now are you fella's talking about the trawlers up at the hards or east of the middle of the banks?
The trawlers that where up the hards where anchored in 95m of water and the ground looked hard on the sounder. Funny thing is that i was up the hards about 3-4klm from those trawlers and had about 4 sharks on the surface going around and under the boat. The deckies said they saw a free jumping shark just behind one of the trawlers.

NB
13-12-2005, 02:06 PM
Jeffo,
would you mind shoting me an email or a quick call..(I cant send PM's here ???)
Regards Nat

nat@saltwater flyfishing.com.au (remove the space :-X)