PDA

View Full Version : A quiet day for the Girls

Frank_Oostenbroek
12-12-2005, 09:29 AM
For many years my dream has been to catch a Dolphin Fish. (Mahi Mahi). Finally this year we caught a small Dolphin Fish off Mooloolaba but as much as it was exciting, it wasn’t a REAL Dolphin Fish.

Yesterday, was the girls day, so it was just a quiet relax in the sun and troll a few skirts.

We had no sooner started when Ben’s rod went off. Our first Spaniard had graced the ice box. Another flew through the air as he savaged one of my skirts. We only needed one anyway.

An hour later, we had a triple hookup with three Dolphin Fish and I had finally achieved my goal. A real Dolphin Fish on my brand new Tiagra 50WRLS. WoooHooo!!!.

Not to be outdone Ben soon landed his First Dolphin Fish, even though I missed the first shot with the Gaff.

We just needed a couple of Cobia to finish off a perfect Day. No sooner said than done. We stopped on a bit of bait that we had seen whilst trolling and dropped the Jigs. Natalie and Ben both hit a cobia simultaneously.

Amazingly the cobia were just flying through the air.

Just another quiet day for the girls……..

Frank_Oostenbroek
12-12-2005, 09:34 AM
Ben's Dollie

Frank_Oostenbroek
12-12-2005, 09:35 AM
Ben's Dollie 2

Frank_Oostenbroek
12-12-2005, 09:36 AM
Nat and Ben's Cobia

Frank_Oostenbroek
12-12-2005, 09:37 AM
Flying Cobia

Argle
12-12-2005, 09:48 AM
Nice dollies, some top chewing there ;D And flying cobes :o :o :o

mackmauler
12-12-2005, 12:32 PM
Good fish Frank, they put on a show those large dolfinfish, the tiagra would have made easy work of it and sure looks the part.

what cannon did you fire the cobe out of ;D

jeffo
12-12-2005, 12:44 PM
50WLRS for those fish :o skull drag ;D
nice fish all the same.

2iar
12-12-2005, 02:33 PM
I've worked out why I've never caught a Cobia.

It's a damn radar I need, not a depth sounder! What altitude are these beasts normally found at? :)

Well done mate.

Mike

Mick
12-12-2005, 02:59 PM
Cobia flight 648 from Murphies to Flinders, you are all clear for landing on runway 5.

daz35
12-12-2005, 04:52 PM
Some nice fish there frank hope to get my first dolphin this year

rajawolf
12-12-2005, 06:08 PM
I did not know Dolphin Fish had wings... :P

Nice catch girls :)

Frank_Oostenbroek
13-12-2005, 08:46 AM
Hi All,

I feel honoured to have received a comment from the famour Mackmauler. (He's my hero).

I have been after a Tiagra 50WRLS for approximately 10 years and last month, My dearset wife bought me the Reel and a new Tiagra rod as well. One of my goals this year is to catch a Marlin, hence the Reel.

Jeffo was right. I had no idea that this new combination would make it so easy. ( Skull Drag)

I wanted to show a photograph of the cobia going back into the water, so I took the picture in sports mode. It froze the cobia in mid air, but I didn't think it would look like a B52 Bomber..

Thank you all for the very humourous comments guys.

FrankOO

jeffo
13-12-2005, 09:20 AM
frank- with the 50w you will have no dramas with any of the marlin ;D... unless you plan on chasing a blue over the edge? good luck with your goal for this summer. hopefully it provides plenty of chances at a bill!

reeldreamer
13-12-2005, 09:28 AM
Hahahaha that cobe pic is a classic!

Frank_Oostenbroek
13-12-2005, 10:13 AM
Hi Jeffo

Are there any hints that you can give me in regards to catching the dreaded Marlin in the area from Mooloolaba to Deep Tempest?

Areas, Depths, Temperatures, Currentlines, Water colour etc.

It is obvious from your profile picture that you have been there before.

FrankOO

Billo
13-12-2005, 12:53 PM
So is it still a cobe ? or a flying fish ;D

Frank , on the Marlin ....find the bait is usually the secret ;)
water colour ,...hard to explain , a deep Blue , water temps around 26-28 , areas , M'bah 8 mile , 10 mile , 12 mile ..they can show up anywhere ...but usually if you find good stores of bait , ie pilchard , slimies ..anything like that , STAY with the bait ....the bills aren't normally too far off this time of year
My fish last weekend came out of less then 15 mtrs of water ....but the bait was there .

CHRIS_aka_GWH
13-12-2005, 01:25 PM
I've worked out why I've never caught a Cobia.

...... What altitude are these beasts normally found at? #:)

:exclamation [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif]

that's a classic , mike.

Hi All,

I feel honoured to have received a comment from the famour Mackmauler. (He's my hero).

Frank,
if you are, as you say, a student of the mackmauler school of pain, I am surprised at the lack of claret splashed over the boat, the fish, ... the people.

If you truly aspire to troll at the feet of The Great One - there is a need to bleed ! ;)

MIKOS
13-12-2005, 01:30 PM
Its a bird,no its a plane,no ITS A FISH.

ITS SUPER COBIA ;D ;D

Nice fish there frankoo

Cheers

MIKOS

Frank_Oostenbroek
13-12-2005, 02:57 PM
Hi Chris,

New Dollie, New Rod, New Reel, New Shorts, and a new Boat. Can't get them bloody yet....

FrankOO

Billo
13-12-2005, 03:55 PM
come on ...no blood !? we can fix that ;D

One good day on the spin can change all that , i promise !!!!

i can't keep the blood out of my carpert ;D ;D

Scott_Watson
13-12-2005, 04:06 PM
A wife that knows good fishing gear and lets you go fishing Frank!
Your on a winner there mate.

Good fish Frank, keep the pics comming.

Cheers,
Watto

Frank_Oostenbroek
14-12-2005, 09:41 AM
Hi Billo,

I have tried to use that no slip stuff instead of the carpet but it doesn't work. I will just have to buy a new carpet.

One of my favourite hobbies is to record the whole fishing trip, edit the video and burn the complete memory onto a DVD. This includes all the photographs.

This is so that when I get too old to actually go out and catch them, I can still remember what it was like.

I also do this for the other people that come out with me.

I normally hide all the blood and gory bits so that when other people watch the DVD, they don't become upset with some of the more gruesome parts of fishing..

FrankOO

Scott_Watson
14-12-2005, 12:27 PM
Hey Franko,
What you need is cut and an uncut version on DVD.

Cheers
Watto :)