PDA

View Full Version : Mackerel 14.12.05

Colorado
14-12-2005, 10:49 AM
Went out chasing some Spotty Mackerel this morning. The weather was perfect, no swell, light breeze and clear skies.

Anchored up to start with and caught a couple of nice Spotty Macks on dead baits first up as well as some Tailor, Blackall and Bream. Things then went quite for a while before the fish started to feed on the surface.

There were large schools of small pilchards every where and they were all being smashed by Macks and Tuna. We chased a few of the schools around and managed to land another 3 Spots in amongst loosing a thousand fish due to hooks pulling and bite offs.

We ended up with a good feed and expectation that this Mackerel season is going to be a big one. Bring it on.

Great morning out with a couple of mates and back to start work by 8.30am.

land_based
14-12-2005, 11:02 AM
Nice spotties mate, where abouts where you?

Fishinmishin
14-12-2005, 11:06 AM
With Throwers bridge in the background and his pic labeled Palmy.....I recon he was off Tweed :-? ;D.
Cheers, Jay

Somethn_Fishy
14-12-2005, 11:26 AM
hi.

How is the Currumbin Creek Bar ATM?? Could a 6.4 Trailcraft get through??

Cheers Rick

Argle
14-12-2005, 11:32 AM
A nice mornings work there 8-)

Colorado
14-12-2005, 11:36 AM
It was my first trip out through Currumbin this year. The bar is fine except you have to be careful as there is a dredge at the mouth with wires, anchors and pipes that spread out basically across the whole creek mouth.

Besides that it looks much better to me than it did at this time last year.

There was not much swell today so I can't really say what it would be like if there was some.

rajawolf
14-12-2005, 12:22 PM
Nice macks guys.....

Jay #thats not Throwers bridge ... it looks like it.. but that pic is from Palm Beach Sydney, they have a little bridge the same. ;) ;D

BTW...I noticed you have left the pectoral fin on those fish...you have to remove one..the boys in blue love that ramp.

Colorado
14-12-2005, 12:45 PM
Rajawolf,

I know a couple of fisheries officers and have spoken to them about the removal of the Pectoral Fins from Mackerel Species. This rule applies only to Spanish Mackerel and Coral Reef Fin Fish. However they do advise to be on the safe side that you remove the Pectoral Fin.

Shortly after that photo the fish were trunked removing the Pectoral Fins, Head and Tail ready to be cut into steaks for tonight’s dinner. Can’t wait. :P

blue_rogue
14-12-2005, 12:51 PM
Nice spots leigh,

How was the water colour, has the southerly bought in some clear water....

Cheers Dom

rajawolf
14-12-2005, 12:58 PM
Colorado,

Thanks mate was not sure if the spotty mack was included, just remember seeing a notice in a tackle shop...they all look the same to me lol ;D

Cheers,
Tony

Colorado
14-12-2005, 01:01 PM
Dom,

Water was better and hopefully the southerly tonight should blow some better water in for the weekend.

I will be out chasing Marlin on Saturday but depending on how we go might head back down on Sunday.

Billo
14-12-2005, 01:18 PM
nice haul ....damn , i've sdaid it a few times , i'll say it again ...It's been a quiet start to summer .
Lets hope the surface action we REALLY want is just around the corner .

pittymick
14-12-2005, 01:36 PM
nice fish :D

MJ
14-12-2005, 01:50 PM
Were there any yakkas around? Hard to get a few last weekend. Cheers Mike.

Colorado
14-12-2005, 02:25 PM
There were quite a few Yakka's around although the one I had out for over 2 hours did not get a touch. If you could find some Slimy Mackerel you would be in with a better shot at the bigger Spots, Spanish and Cobia. There were a few Cobia around but they were all rats under 10kg.

Jay_S
14-12-2005, 02:53 PM
Great work mate :o :o they are some very nice fish you caught [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Cheers Jay 8-)

Scott_Watson
14-12-2005, 03:17 PM
If thats how you spend breakfast then well done fellas. [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]
Shore as heck my breaky wasn't as good as yours.

Cheers,
Watto

pegasus
14-12-2005, 04:27 PM
Hi Liegh, good stuff- nice fish,hoping it ll be a great season

cheers
lew

Spaniard_King
14-12-2005, 09:11 PM
I watched the dredge today at the Allley, he was right at the end of the wall. My guess he would have finished the dredging today.

Normally he would have been out of there a week ago..when the holidays started.

it neva really does much for the bar ::)

Garry

fishyjoe
15-12-2005, 07:32 AM
Nice fish,

Looks like it's time. It is amazing what a couple of days makes. We, Raging Bull, were out in the same spot a few days earlier and could only manage a few Watsons' Bonitos

Well done and I hope it only gets better

Joe

revs57
15-12-2005, 07:40 AM
Here's to a good season!!!

SgBFish
15-12-2005, 09:45 AM
Great work fellas.
Who needs daylight saving when you can get out and amongst them and still get to work by 8:30.
The sun is peeking up over the water at my place at 4am these days.

Az
15-12-2005, 10:33 AM
great catch mate, that fella in the blue shirt isn't josh is it?

Colorado
15-12-2005, 12:04 PM
No mate its not

RedEmporess
15-12-2005, 07:13 PM
Poor mackeral season up here too. That is the Sarina area. Even the pro fishermen are complaining about the lack of spotties. Maybe still recovering from ring netting.

shut_up_and_fish
16-12-2005, 08:24 AM
top stuff mate..........can you pl explain the dorsal fin rule........havent heard it as i dont really chase them but will be in areas early next year (qld) where i may get on to some of the above mentioned species.............cheers
les

Colorado
16-12-2005, 08:39 AM
Les, it is best to visit the QLD fisheries website to get 100% correct info but I will do my best to explain.

Spanish Mackerel must have at least one of there pectoral fins removed as soon as the fish in put in the esky. The reason for this is to reduce the amount of “Black Market” sales of Spanish Mackerel. In QLD this has been a big problem in the past. Any fish found for sale that has had a fin removed will earn the operator a large fine. This same rule applies to coral reef fin fish for the same reason.

Hope this helps.

shut_up_and_fish
16-12-2005, 08:46 AM
cheers for that mate.............top jewie aswell........still aiming to get my first one.............hopefully off the beach.........thanks again

Colorado
16-12-2005, 09:11 AM
Summer is a good time for school Jew on the coast. Got seven the other all were small between 3-5kg. There should be a couple of better ones upto 15kg still hanging around just have to put in the time.

shut_up_and_fish
16-12-2005, 09:25 AM
i live north side of brissy mate.............any hotspots up here that you know of................i do a fair bit up at double island.........

slyham775
16-12-2005, 11:58 AM
;D ;D ;D...... oop,s sorry