PDA

View Full Version : Cairns Beakie madness

scuttlebutt
16-12-2005, 06:06 PM
Went for a run out to Oyster Reef today to test out my new Hydraulic steering. It's just as good as everyone says - much better than the old cable setup.

Anyway, trolled around for a bit and hooked up this massive beakie. About as close to a marlin as I'll ever get.

Had a bit of a fish at some old spots but the trout weren't really biting. We got three trout, but they were all lightweights around the 45cm mark that looked like they hadn't eaten in a while.

Plenty of Mac tuna busting up between Oyster and Vlassof (which seemed unusual) and these guys were real hungry. I got three tuna in four casts.

Tried my usual casting lures in the shallows but all the reefies seemed to be shut down. Got one little wrasse and very little else.

Only the one photo today, cause everything else was pretty standard fare.

cheers,

steve

szopen
16-12-2005, 06:30 PM
Still better than nothing ;D

Looks like pretty massive rig for the result too. ::)

Bad_Bubby
16-12-2005, 07:48 PM
lol Steve at least you had a better day than me. I spent my afternoon cutting up jade perch and breaking up 20kg blocks of squid (my new job :o).

cyclone
16-12-2005, 08:59 PM
Yeah Steve have to agree on the fishing went out with the young fella Wed. got one Mackerel for him no pic yet missus has the camera, then went for a dive no trout out and about the four we got were all up in caves probably explains why no interest in the lures. Your not wrong about the tuna havn't seen them so thick in a while. oh well still a great day on the water.
Andrew.

HOOKLINEnSINKER
16-12-2005, 09:10 PM
lucky you had the 12t (or 20 ) inter on him.otherwise he might of got away ;D
nice to be out wether fish or no fish. except when you get home and the boat is caked with salt :-[
daniel

scuttlebutt
16-12-2005, 09:26 PM
Dan, hey could be worse, at least you've got aircon at work (I'm guessing)

Andrew, glad to hear it wasn't just me having a hard time with the trout

Daniel, that's a 30T with home made rod on a Sabre Blank. Glad I invested in the Fuji SiC tip with line-burners like that! ha ha.

cheers,

steve

HOOKLINEnSINKER
16-12-2005, 10:04 PM
Thats a 30t? what were you trolling for? or were you on your way to linden banks? ;D
daniel

Shafty
17-12-2005, 06:29 AM
Steve,

Nice mini-marlin! headed out myself Wednesday and found this a little slow at first - no run at all.

Managed 10 keepers - trout to 68cm, job fish 80cm and a nice shark mack,

Shafty

Shafty
17-12-2005, 06:48 AM
not a good shot!

Billo
18-12-2005, 09:09 AM
HAHHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAHAHA....You FUNNY man !

GOt me going

Did you Tag and release ? ;D ;D ;D