PDA

View Full Version : A day on the lumpy paddock

kingcobe
19-12-2005, 07:43 PM
Kingtin, my mum and I set out in the big whitley today at 5:30 for Flinders reef to do some trolling It was very lumpy so we decided to shelter at the Tangalooma wrecks. We were there 'till 12:00 pm waiting for the swell to go down. After we waited for all the swell to go down we went to Curtin Reef but we were getting annoyed by the leather jackets and the lyretails that kept getting the bait off the hooks so we headed for the four beacons.

The bait was boiling but the sounder was showing nothing big underneath or above them.
We put down the bait jigs and were catching squire 3 at a time, we got about 100 of them but none were keepable. 1 hour after anchoring up dad got a big run on a whole crab with a 10/0 hook and 50 pound line but he got snapped after a 15 minute fight. I got hooked up at the same time but dad couldn't help me. I got it to the surface and I saw it was a big cobe about 2 metres long. It snapped me at the same time that dads line snapped.

By 3:45 it had roughened up again so we decided to go home before it got worse. Luckily the wind swung round behind us and we had a good run home at 38 knots.

I kept this fish for the crab pot as dad says that they are rubbish eating.

Kingcobe

longtail
19-12-2005, 07:48 PM
that's a blackall , good chewing ;)
better than catties anyway ;D ;D

cheers
jason

philip_thomson
19-12-2005, 08:21 PM
those mowies are awesome. if your going to throw it into a crab pot give it to me. how could anyone who eats catties call a mowie rubbish. copmpared to a cattie its 5 star

straddie
19-12-2005, 08:29 PM
If you can covert that fella into some crabs it will make better eating.

Another good report Kingcobe, betcha that cobe was stretching your arms ;D One step closer to getting the keys to the tinny ;)

bigpoly
19-12-2005, 09:25 PM
Hi kingcobe. Good report. I was also at the wrecks this morning. I was in the polycraft centre console with the blue t top. I picked up two mackerel early morning in that SW slop. Then at 11.30 headed back out to the beacons and picked another 3 macks. I have pics and if I can get them from the phone will post them. The middle of the day was magic. Yes lots of bait around but the macks were a little scarce. I caught all five fish on my home made slugs. No luck with the live herring. I had one good run with wire on but it snapped. Keep the reports coming. I ran into two guys in a trailcraft who had just caught a 15 kg cobe on a skirt lure in about 3 m of water at combie point. They were very pleased with themselves.

gawby
19-12-2005, 09:27 PM
Bad luck there you vermin chasers ;D
Next time, next time :P
Graeme

chanquetas
19-12-2005, 10:03 PM
Luckily the wind swung round behind us and we had a good run home at 38 knots.
Kingcobe

38 knots? OK, so I drive a kayak and 38 knots is a little, shall we say, optimistic, but hell, what donk does your old man drive that you pull that speed?

I thought he just cruised around the bay catching catties and rays, not blasting around the paddock at full tilt?

Anyway, good report Kingcobe, looking forward to plenty more. Shame about the huge Cobe mate. Would have loved to have seen the pics.

Tell Kingtin I saw his mug in the Rainbow Tackle shop at Shornecliff/Sandgate?, some faded old newpaper cutting, him holding a shovel nose just like his avatar.

kingcobe
20-12-2005, 05:22 PM
Hi kingcobe. Good report. I was also at the wrecks this morning. I was in the polycraft centre console with the blue t top. I picked up two mackerel early morning in that SW slop. Then at 11.30 headed back out to the beacons and picked another 3 macks. I have pics and if I can get them from the phone will post them. The middle of the day was magic. Yes lots of bait around but the macks were a little scarce. I caught all five fish on my home made slugs. No luck with the live herring. I had one good run with wire on but it snapped. #Keep the reports coming. I ran into two guys in a trailcraft who had just caught a 15 kg cobe on a skirt lure in about 3 m of water at combie point. They were very pleased with themselves. #

We saw you just inside of us if you were the white polycraft. Tried fishing the ledge but we needed nearly a pound of lead to hold bottom and the pickers were coming up and taking the bait off the floats even.

kingcobe

kingcobe
20-12-2005, 05:27 PM
Luckily the wind swung round behind us and we had a good run home at 38 knots.
Kingcobe

38 knots? OK, so I drive a kayak and 38 knots is a little, shall we say, optimistic, but hell, what donk does your old man drive that you pull that speed?

I thought he just cruised around the bay catching catties and rays, not blasting around the paddock at full tilt?

Anyway, good report Kingcobe, looking forward to plenty more. Shame about the huge Cobe mate. Would have loved to have seen the pics.

Tell Kingtin I saw his mug in the Rainbow Tackle shop at Shornecliff/Sandgate?, some faded old newpaper cutting, him holding a shovel nose just like his avatar.

It's a 220 mercruiser V6 and it flies :o ;D dad only runs it at 3800 revs and it's doing 38 knotts at that. He took it to 4500 once and it did 45 knotts.

That shovelly was caught on 5 kilo line and a prawn and while dad was fighting it someone from the newspaper was on the pier and took a photo of it.

kingcobe

Scott15
20-12-2005, 07:58 PM
MILF ;) ;) ;) :-X