PDA

View Full Version : Tweed dollies and cobes

flickflack
28-12-2005, 03:47 PM
Hi All

Hope everyone had a good chrissie and is looking forard to the New Year. Me and my mate Kev went for a fish out the Tweed yesterday. The plan was to chase billfish but as we know with fishing things dont always go according to plan. We stared off Kirra then headed out to the 50's for two dollies. Just the two hits with no sign of billies, we couldnt believe it because the water went up to 27 degrees at times. We worked our way back in to the nine mile with the current absolutely rippin from the North. We spotted some fish cruising on the surface and cast at them with slugs and surface poppers Kevin had a huge hit on a surface Plug and we identified the fish as Gts. The fish went tearing off and the braid broke in the guides :( :(. Hasnt happened before and we couldnt believe it the drag was set spot on but I suppose thats how it goes . the fish were still there but altogether switched off. I even tossed a live slimey into them and they wouldnt touch it. There was some real monsters in amongst them. We then spotted some other fish an I threw a softie at them and immediateley hooked up. After a brief struggle on the spin rod I had a cobe of about 4 to 5 kg. First one on a softie. We saw a few more and this time I cast a surface plug at them and the lead fish jumped on it with a massive splash. Another cobe this time a bit bigger. By this time we decided to pull the pin as the wind was really picking up and it was really hard to see the fish.
A good day all the same with a few firsts

Cheers and good fishing
Roderick.

flickflack
28-12-2005, 03:48 PM
the cobe with the plug in its gob

flickflack
28-12-2005, 03:48 PM
Another

flickflack
28-12-2005, 03:49 PM
A dollie

flickflack
28-12-2005, 03:50 PM
Kev with his dollie check out the colours

outsiderskip
28-12-2005, 03:56 PM
hi roderick
nice fish never seen
so many good quality dollies
around as they have been this year

cheers pete

Franco
28-12-2005, 04:07 PM
Good pics Rod and I'm very impressed with the colour-co-ordinated fashion sense [smiley=cool.gif] [smiley=cool.gif] Better be careful or the ausfish Babes will be all over you mate!!

Seriously tho, great report as always mate. Godd to see you guys have found those Billies elusive so far as well!! Cheno seems to have done well in the green water at least ... but we trolled that area full of bait for Niente'

Soon our day will come!!

JB
28-12-2005, 04:14 PM
Brilliant photo of the dollie there mate, pics like that really make it a special catch i rekon.

no_wind
28-12-2005, 10:38 PM
good day ya had there rod,love to know what lures you trolled the dollies up on and did you drop a jig down while you were out wide.
cheers muz.

Zucchini_bros
29-12-2005, 10:04 AM
Hi Roderick,

Great Fish

I'm new to trolling for any species let-a-lone Dolphins. I'm hoping to get out for the first time in the New Year on a mates boat.
Don't suppose you would be kind enough to give a newby a few tips on lure selection, trol speed and distances from the boat?

A point in the right direction would be appreciated

cheers
Andrew

philip_thomson
29-12-2005, 10:39 AM
good stuff on the cobes and dollies. awesome looking fish the dollies. not to shabby on the plate either.

flickflack
29-12-2005, 03:26 PM
Muz

We trolled pakula mini cockroaches and mosquitos in varying colours(fuzz,pink and lumo) We also used some small williamson pushers as well
Didnt jig mate the current was doing about 3,5 knots

Andrew

Mate we normally troll 5 lures staggered at different distances from the boat. One in close then the next three a few metres further back to cover the the whole strike area. The 5th one usually the smallest lure we run way back behind all the others for the shy fish that dont want to come into the spread. There is a good site you can look on that will help you heaps . www.pakula.com.au He has got illustrations and the different lure shapes etc on there. We normally troll around 6-7 Knots. Hope that helps mate. Let us know how you go.

Cheers Rod

rajawolf
29-12-2005, 05:33 PM
Nice dollies Rod. :o