PDA

View Full Version : Barwon Bottom Bouncing & Trolling 27th

SeaSaw
28-12-2005, 12:46 AM
With an early start yesterday the plan was to do some bottom fishing before sunrise and then spend the rest of the day on the troll.

We were fishing at the centre of the banks by about 3:30am and the fish were there from the start. We did't boat antything of a great size, but managed a nice mixed bag in a couple of hours. The only decent fish we came accross took my floater and striped 300m of 10kg line in about 20 seconds :o ... the reel was smoking. I think it was a good spanish mac but I will never know as I locked up the drag just before I got spooled with the inevitable bust off occuring. :( At least I saved the line.

With enough fish on board to restock the supplies, we called it quits for the bottom bashing and started to troll, with high expectations:

....... We trolled the Banks
....... We trolled the 21 mile
....... We trolled the 18 mile
....... We trolled the 10 mile
....... We trolled in close from caloundra to mooloolaba

NOT a single STRIKE. :-? :-? There was more bait around in close than out wide, but we just couldn't find a fish. Oh well, at least the bottom bashing was OK.

Still a good day out on the water and we covered some ground and found a few spots I am going to explore at another time. :D

Cheers,

Mark

SeaSaw
28-12-2005, 12:47 AM
Here is a picture of the catch

caloundra
28-12-2005, 01:13 AM
nice mixed bag there mark
pitty you couldn't raise them trolling
I'm sure the unstopable would have got the heart pumping

Daniel

outsiderskip
28-12-2005, 01:40 AM
hi mark
good to see a few fish around still at the banks
keep to bottom fishing at least u get a feed

cheers pete

DALEPRICE
28-12-2005, 02:39 AM
top stuff mark, some nice fillets their.
were you trolling for dollies
and the likes?? or something BIGGA
cheers dale

Zucchini_bros
28-12-2005, 03:11 AM
hi mark ,

I'd be happy wiyth that catch, well done, sorry to here that the trolling did't pay off.
maybe next time hey?

As per Dale, what were you trolling for?

I'm hoping to head out later this week and am keeping an eye out for what's on & off the chew.

Cheers
Andrew

620sf
28-12-2005, 03:31 AM
You still ended up with a pretty reasonable feed Mark. You must of covered some ground trolling, pretty unlucky not to get a strike. How was the weather and current out there? Did you fish deep or on top of the reef? hopefull the weekend will plan out weather wise.

Luke

redspeckle
28-12-2005, 10:54 AM
SeaSaw
I be over the moon with catch like that with those pearles and snappery
squire ;D
[smiley=2thumbsup.gif] for great catch there whats kind of fish is 2 on the right beside the good size squires and the real red one in the middle :-?
The fish knows how to get a free feed always picks the weakest rod with lightest line on it better luck next time thats fishing
Mitch :)

Smithy
28-12-2005, 11:17 AM
Pulled the hook on a Black that didn't jump once after hitting a pusher during a 10-15 minute fight on Fin Atic. #Put 4 Mahi Mahi in the box, got bitten off by a Wahoo after 5 minutes and one other blind strike off Mooloolaba.

Oh yeh after reading Brook's post we also had to release a baby 700mm long Cobe that hit a pusher and missed his mum that was an allright size that hit a skip gar as we were pulling in to fight the little fella.

bazzaman
28-12-2005, 11:58 AM
good mixed bag mark! Awesome stuff.

SeaSaw
28-12-2005, 10:12 PM
Dale & Andrew the main target was billies but bycatch would have been good just to keep things interesting. We were mainly using pushers, but did try some hardbodied lures as well. Lots of weed about out wide resulted in the lures constantly getting fouled.

Luke, the bottom bashing was all done up on top of the banks. The current was only slight, so it was easy fishing.

Your right Mitch the best fish do have a habit of finding the smallest line and weakest rod .... maybe thats why they get so big ;) ;D

And thanks Smithy for sharing your great catch .... now at least I know it was just me :P :P :P ;D lol sounds like you had a pretty good day, well done.

Mark

reef_king
29-12-2005, 06:03 PM
nice catch mate, better luck next time with the trolling, at least it gave you the opportunity to cover some ground ;D ;D