PDA

View Full Version : First troll, no fish

gogecko
30-12-2005, 03:09 AM
Headed out of the seaway this morning, picked the weather nice, and got to the 24s at 6.30am. Put out some teasers and shirts and trollled North at 6 knots. Got almost to the pin, and turned around and trolled back. No blue water, no birds, no baitballs on the sounder. No wonder i had no hits. Back in by 9.30 as the wind picked up a little.

So what should I be doing? By the look of a few other posts, I shoulda kept going til I hit blue water? the 36s? Im still a bit cautious in this 4.5m runabout, my deckies off crook too, but its fine when the weathers good.

cheers
Andrew

Frank_Oostenbroek
30-12-2005, 03:21 AM
Hi Andrew,

Sounds like you are doing everything right. A bit more patience and perseverance might do the trick. Stay in close until the weather is a bit more predictable.

I have trolled for 12 hours in the last few days for only two hits.

I have not seen the bait either.

Best of luck mate

Frank OO

mackmauler
30-12-2005, 03:42 AM
We had one stick today finally at the 36s East of the pin, nice fish approx 35kg, threw the hooks next to the boat so no piccies, it went to town though. no dolfinfish first time for a few trips without them.

Franco
30-12-2005, 03:58 AM
Bad luck Andrew. Agree with Frank and Rob. Safety first no fish is worth ending up on my ambulance ramp with me having to confirm that that thing in your chest has stopped beating.

Recently went out for a troll on my own in the blue when I couldn't get crew and it made me a bit nervous even though totally awesome weather and stable conditions ..... but when you're trolling at 6 knots if you fall overboard you're F**k*d .... I think I'll wear an inflatable lifejacket next time ... I have a Haines 490 breeze similar to the Southern star Stealth so no freeboard or protection - must be careful! (I'm not really sure what I'm gonna do if I hook up a big Dollie or Billy on my own!!!)

But one detail you could try that might give you a better chance of catching a fish out there ................. Try trolling SKIRTS instead of Shirts next time mate!!! Some of the chics out there might consider your shirts a teaser but marlin probably don't !!! ;D ;D [smiley=gorgeous.gif] [smiley=lolk.gif]

Better luck next time

gogecko
31-12-2005, 08:03 AM
Yes, safety comes first and I have decided that I wont troll solo again. I had a discussion with my wife 2 nights ago about falling overboard from a moving boat. (no honey, of course I wont go outside the seaway when Im on my own....).

Strangely enough, it was your old post franco that inspired me....if he can do it I can do it mentality. Duh, I shall wait til my deckies right again. Plenty of jack hunting do be done in the esturies til then.

My deckies recovering from chemo, and has a low immune system, so a cold takes him 3 weeks to get over.

cheers
Andrew

rakinray
31-12-2005, 08:06 AM
G/ day Andrew dont feel to bad mate we did the same thing as you, headed out to the 70 mt line with a few bait balls showing here and there lots of blue water but not one touch in three hours of searchin tried towin the kitchen sink but that got the same treatment ! ZIP ! We trolled from wide of the seaway to the sullies area and back to the seaway , we even done some bottom bashin in the cottons area for the same results, sounds like you have the techneque sorted just gotta be patient and as franco said gotta find the blue stuff out wider, it went from green to blue around the 65mt line. I dont feel so bad as even mr mackmauler (rob) is finding them tough to boat (lmao) but ill be back soon and it might be a different story next trip thats fishin ! top day out on the water took these headin out in the LEDGEND !

CHEERS RAY

rakinray
31-12-2005, 08:08 AM
TOP DAY !

gcbfc
31-12-2005, 08:27 AM
We managed to get a small STRIPED MARLIN (Yep.. weird) on the 34 fathom line just into the Blue water off a big bait ball on 30th December. Full set of photos at:-

http://homepage.mac.com/wayneshelley/PhotoAlbum5.html

Caught on a Pakula Mosquito lure on the short rigger. We had a full set of 5 Pakulas and a Witchdoctor deployed.

Lots of bait in close on the 20's and 24's but no marlin even though we worked a patch hard.

Cheers

Wayne

SeaJay
31-12-2005, 09:03 AM
Hi Andrew,

The beauty of a web-site like this is that you can make contact with people doing similar things as you have. Sounds like you it mightn't have hurt to go a bit wider, and for safety's sake you could try the 'going fishing' section to team up with another boat for saftey's sake at least.

Intend to get out at least once in the next week or so to repeat your efforts (hopefully more successfully), so give me a yell if you want to make a mini flotilla.

Cheers
David

JB
31-12-2005, 09:42 AM
Went out solo myself yesterday, went through seaway at about 4:30am, headed out till i could find blue water. Green snot untill the 68meter line east water tower. Was strange yesterday, all the bait balls and surface bait was in closer around 55-60m. Headed out east of the pin in 80mtrs still no luck but the water was a much better colour out there. Turned south back towards east seaway in 80m , picked up the smallest dollie i have ever caught (75cm) then headed in closer and back up in 65m. No luck, headed back in seaway around 11am. Tough days trolling , expected the fish to fire up out wider. Maybe next time.

Your boat is ruffly same size as mine GoGecko, yesterday was a great day to get out wider.

Jas

Sportfish_5
31-12-2005, 09:54 AM
Believe it or not ;D ;D ;D ;D

What an idiot 8-)

Sportfish_5
31-12-2005, 09:56 AM
lmfao

mackmauler
31-12-2005, 10:16 AM
Solo trolling is good ive done plenty, the only exception id make is with crap steering that makes the boat spin when you leave the helm. its especially good when there isnt many fish about, all the strikes are yours, how often do you fall out of boats anyway, more chance of having a headon with a semi I reckon.

If you do fall out aim for the short cnr, with a twin hook rig stuck in your arse youll walk on water and be back in the boat before ya know it ;D

land_based
31-12-2005, 10:18 AM
one of the more stupid things ive eer seen

no_wind
31-12-2005, 11:35 AM
I agree with rob about all the strikes being yours, many times i've only got one strike if that. Took a couple out the other day and the ladies first rule landed her the boat record.
trolling solo around traffic doesn't bother me, but being the first one out the 36's yesterday for over an hour in my 4.55 poly I was a little nervous but kept my red engine cut off band on while driving. with the current out there you could drift a long way fighting a marlin.

no_wind
31-12-2005, 11:41 AM
p.s there's a good article about trolling solo on www.paluka.com

gogecko
31-12-2005, 11:43 AM
Hi Jb and mackmauler,
Ive been watching you posts and figuring your boats were roughly the same size as mine.Yesterday was my first trip to the 24s (just bought the epirb and gps) so i wanted to see how the boat handled. Once I got there, I knew I coulda gone to 36s too, but I wanted to see how long it took to get back.

McTuna,
might take you up on that next time the waether is good and I have a day off. Lets talk on PM.

Andrew