PDA

View Full Version : goldy

mackmauler
27-12-2005, 04:59 PM
had a trolling trip today and as per the norm lately lost the only marlin bite but bycatch was as per normal with a couple of dolfins, luckily there is a few around it sure brightens up the day.

mackmauler
27-12-2005, 05:02 PM

mackmauler
27-12-2005, 05:04 PM

Scott15
27-12-2005, 05:13 PM
Nice one rob, weather looks great

bazzaman
27-12-2005, 05:25 PM
good shit rob! Those dollies are a fair size! Are they around the wave rider buoy and of that size?

Shane

DALEPRICE
27-12-2005, 05:43 PM
nice work rob,
you kill em before you bring them in eh??
cranky buggas
dale

27-12-2005, 06:41 PM
Some nice fish there Rob.

What depth of water were the fish caught in? And were you just trolling the current lines or doing something else/working some marks ?

Regards
CT

gawby
27-12-2005, 06:45 PM
Yahoo rob, good catch.
going to give it a go in the morning so might see you out there if you are going
Graeme

gogecko
27-12-2005, 07:06 PM
well done Rob. Im looking forward to my first troll for dollies soon. Any tips for a newbie off the goldy?

DaneCross
27-12-2005, 07:27 PM
Water looks nice out there Rob :o Can't believe how good the conditions were today - spewn I wasn't out there (I was a the 'pin). The colour of the dollie in that first pic is fantastic.
DC

noluck
27-12-2005, 07:42 PM
well done rob # [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
looks like everywhere u go fish folow #you
all fish from north move down south
i did not get tuch allday
cheers no_luck

mackmauler
27-12-2005, 07:59 PM
hey guys, best advice is you want some dolfins, go out wider than the green water, the marlin dont seem to mind it but there has been far more dolfins on the 36s than in close, the water temp was around 26.5c where those fish were caught, setup a spread of pakulas or skipping gar and troll around 7 knots and sooner or later there should be one jumping around, be careful bringing the large ones onboard if you have 2 hooks in your lures, they really do go beserk, its quiet easy to become impaled on a free swinging hook, hence the batton.

szopen
27-12-2005, 08:22 PM
Being connected to a not quite dead dorado by a lure and sharing the hooks sounds like a lot of fun.

Well done on the fish, pity the marlin got away, the first fish was out of water for a while before the pic was taken hence the colours.

Did you go out in your boat?

Franco
28-12-2005, 02:20 AM
Nice work Rob.

Had the same sort of trip yesterday with dirty water north of the seaway until 65 m of water. A few Dollies, missed wahoo and no marlin. Lost a beast Dollie at the boat after the sucker threw the hooks, rotated on the (reinforced stainless) gaff, went spastic and then broke the hook clean off the handle!!! Shit those things are strong!

Do you batton yours boatside or in the boat? We tend to just boat em then straight into the killtank lures'n'all till they settle. Too scary to screw about with em.

Hopefully some Billes next trip mate.

Matt_G
28-12-2005, 03:31 AM
Guys

One of the best things you can do with those Mahi is put their head in a corner and bend their tails up towards them. This stops them thrashing around and should allow the hooks to be removed...with a pair of plyers as a minimum, a hookout gun is better again.

Nice stuff Rob, we dropped 3 bills yesterday, though could have caught Mahi all day.

Matt Gross
Ultimate Gamefishing Tackle

Rainbowrunner
28-12-2005, 07:17 AM
nice fish

i saw a documentary once on dolphinfish
There were these islander guys with open dories setup so they could steer and control speed with a stick in one hand up the front of the boat. They would then chase down and hand spear huge dolphin fish, absolutely incredible........

Smithy
28-12-2005, 11:36 AM
Matt were you in your own boat?

Steve,

were you fishing beside a 5.2 Kevlacat called Shikaree or a 31 Bertram with a dark blue transom called Mischief at any stage?

I was out with Brooksey and Bugman on Ymer at Black 34'er. Jumped one off NE of the Pin in 50m in the green water near Game On but spent a lot of time in the morning in that bait in the blue water in close - less than 45m anyway. Colour change coming out of the Pin later in the day looked good but couldn't pull anything out of it.

Snap
28-12-2005, 12:03 PM
Great pics mackmauler,
I am looking for a cheaper digital camera, incase it ends up wet. What did you take those photos with & what was the pixels.

mackmauler
28-12-2005, 02:36 PM
Hey franco thats one tag and release dolfin! Ive got a few ideas inc powerheads, they may not look very pretty for the photos though lol. Generally I like to batton them before they come aboard, you have to hit them just right on the nose or theyll thrash even harder, there is a lot to be said for single hook rigs.

You must have found some good numbers Matt, never hit anywhere that good. let me know when you stock the anti fish dropping lures, dropped fish and all the lures are still a lot more fun that using bait.

mackmauler
28-12-2005, 11:04 PM
hey snap, camera was an olympus 4 pixel with a waterproof housing, the housings arent cheap though but work well.

onerabbit
31-12-2005, 11:17 AM
great fish to catch, if possible we never let them off the gaff until they are fully subdued, the donger gets plenty of work in summertime, muzz

juicyfruit
31-12-2005, 12:50 PM
Nice fish, good work....so love the colours on these fish

Juicy