PDA

View Full Version : Shelf dive

DougHanning
20-02-2006, 07:07 AM
Headed out 40kms off cape moreton yesterday looking for tuna, marlin etc. Conditions were like glass but there was no activity anywhere. Dove with some dolphins in at least 350m(the furuno stopped reading at this depth) and the visibility was forever. #After lunch headed home but had one drift on some shallow reef to get some fish for the week and got two small spanish. Anyone have any rough gps marks for the moreton canyons? Just wondering if we were looking in the right area. #

DougHanning
20-02-2006, 07:08 AM
Conditions on the shelf

TheSlyDeckie
20-02-2006, 07:40 AM
geez how long did it take to get out there?

Fishinmishin
20-02-2006, 08:38 AM
I got moreton sea mountain if that helps. You'd have to have great lungs to bottom dive that one ;D.
27.45.842 155.17.883....don't forget to fill the tank before you head out.
Cheers, Jay

Lone_Wolf
20-02-2006, 12:04 PM
Doug,

I just remembered why you called these 7-10kg blues, "small spanish" You are a modest bugger really!!

jeffo
20-02-2006, 04:06 PM
Doug... in 350m you are pretty much there!!

Badone
20-02-2006, 04:09 PM
Hey Doug, How come you boys wern't up in Mackay for the state titles?

DougHanning
20-02-2006, 05:18 PM
SlyDeckie- only 1:45 from scarborough.
Jay- I think that one is brittania sea mount, moreton sea mount is north of that one and yes it has been contemplated. The logistics of carrying 800-1000l of fuel in a 5.5m boat is a problem. Have been out to the swains before though 250km round trip.
Badone - I dive for the enjoyment and have played competitive sport most of my life so have no desire for that to enter my recreation. I see a lot of fish that I choose not to shoot and am not a fan of competitions where a lot of fish are killed for the sake of rating youself against someone else(just my opinion), but saying that I am friends with a few guys that dive them and enjoy them so each to their own.
Jeffo- yeah have talked to a few guys and it seems we were in the right area just nothing going on. That feeling of having 300+m under you as you dive into the blue is unlike anything else.
Lone_wolf- shucks :-[ Anything under 20kgs is small!

finding_time
20-02-2006, 06:01 PM
Doug

I have done some diving( scuba) at osprey reef ( sea mount) there you have got around 3000-5000meters below you and about 150m vis, AWESOME!! ;) Some of the Doggies out there a just about bigger than the boat!!

Ian

Badone
21-02-2006, 11:08 AM
Doug, I agree with you each to their own but if you give comps a go you may change your opinion. The score sheets are quite restrictive in that no sweetlip, large cod, batfish, unicorn etc are weighed in. The remaining fish are made up of trout, all the emporers, most pelagics and parrotts(except napoleon parrotts). You guys chase these species on a regular basis as is shown by your photos and I read how you blokes are regularly competing against each other on your local dives. Comps test your fitness, fish knowledge as well as diving ability. Also all the fish are donated to meals on wheels so many people benefit. Sorry to get off the topic but it would be good to see some new faces at our sports main events. Simon.

Mick
21-02-2006, 02:49 PM
Simon, I was invited to jump aboard Norcat2 but ruptured an ear drum at Brittamar Reef on the previous week end. Were you on board that vessel? I was told there were 27 spearos on board!

Mick

Mick
21-02-2006, 02:54 PM
Hey Doug, did you see the competition running in the International Freediving mag, something about a photo and fish competition. The prize was that new V rail gun by Sea Hornet. Anyhow, I won the sucker (well toss up between me and the mate that took the photo) but have never used a sea Hornet before. I always thought they were a wooden gun but I don't think this one is. What do you know about these guns? Is it worth a shot or should I just give it to my mate for a couple of cartons and stick with my faithful RA? I am holding the 2x 8.5kg Queenies (Dan is the photographer)

http://www.seahornet.com/spear/photocomp/photocomp.htm

SgBFish
21-02-2006, 02:57 PM
Jay.
That GPS mark for Moreton Sea Mountain is half way to Chile. Its about 100NM east of Point Lookout.
Hope there's something to do when you get there!
Cheer,
Scott

Badone
21-02-2006, 06:52 PM
Mick, Great trip, great boat, great crew and the weather was a good as it gets. The bar has been set for future state comps. Vis was pretty average and 10 species won the day on both Sat and Sunday. Ray Powell won, Adam Smith second and Tony Heugh third. Bad luck about your ear. Yes there was 25 or so divers, plenty of room.

devocean
21-02-2006, 07:54 PM
I took the photo mick and it was a photgraphic competition lets not forget that now, badone, 220 bucks for the day wasnt a bad offer for the norkatt, do you rate her for a dive vessel and diyouguys hit the reef the second day out. Was going to enter but heard it was a one dayy reef trip and the other day was just going to be inshore. Who won the lucky dooir prize as well?

jeffo
21-02-2006, 08:10 PM
doug- very rarely is out there!! 99% of our marlin and tuna bites are in the middle of a dead looking ocean. i dare say it would be a long day floating around out there looking for them under water!!!

your best bet might be getting a big cube trail going for a few hours and then jumping over.

mackmauler
21-02-2006, 08:48 PM
lmao jeff, best bet he will only do it once ;D tigers ocean whalers whites blues in no particular order.

Reefmaster
21-02-2006, 10:05 PM
Doug your a mad man ;D
I have a spot near the shelf some where which would suit you to a tee. ;) I hope you have a shark shield but. :)

Cheers Greg

Badone
21-02-2006, 10:23 PM
Devocean, Day 1 was a reef 75nm out to sea and day 2 was a dive at Penrith Is about 40nm out. If anything the Island was a better dive with fish quality a little better such as jacks, coastal trout spanish etc. Norcat 2 is one of the best fishing/diving boats I have been on. Only three years old, everything works, big bunks, plenty of room, quiet when underway,good cleaning board, large snap freezer, aircon cabins and a good skipper which makes a big difference. One of the Mackay boys won the lucky door prize. There are two Coral sea trips in november and one in dec -if you are keen give Craig the owner a ring.

DICER
22-02-2006, 08:28 AM
At least with visibility going off into infinity you can see anything coming. Perhaps if you shoot a few of those small doggies and tie them off while the're still green you could cut the fuel bill.

finding_time
22-02-2006, 10:38 PM
lmao jeff, best bet he will only do it once ;D tigers ocean whalers whites blues in no particular order.

Rob you really have to get over this irrational FEAR of sharks there just a predator like yourself!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

devocean
27-02-2006, 05:51 PM
Thanks badone have emailed them about the september trip

devocean
27-02-2006, 05:52 PM
By the way doug enjoyed your article on the 35kg cobia very impressive

DougHanning
01-03-2006, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Will definately get a good burley trail going next time. Sorry about the late reply but have been building playgrounds in Toowoomba for a week and when I came home had some computer issues.
Mick - nice queenies, if the new sea hornet is a railgun I'm sure it will be fine, all railguns are pretty much the same(even though we are sponsed by rabbitech - hope they don't read this)
Ian- I will have a 45ft yacht by the end of the year which will be kept at gladstone, then I can get out to Marion,Frederick,Kenn etc to chase big doggies. A mate of mine Cameron( a yank) just shot a 91kg doggie in indonesia - it was a monster.
Rob- have dove with tigers,bulls,blue and oceanic whitetips(their nasty buggers) and probably have dove with a white but I haven't seen them but I bet they have seen me. I'm more worried about getting left behind in the water than sharks.
Greg- you tease :-*, my shark shield is a 7mm spear. ;D

Went out on Sunday but it was a bit to squally to head out to the shelf. Dove everywhere round moreton and didn't pull the trigger once. No fish anywhere but lots of rain.
Cheers all Doug

chemmy
01-03-2006, 06:48 PM
what type, size gun do you use