PDA

View Full Version : good feed, good jewie

Tony_N
04-04-2006, 05:54 AM
Went out from Evans yesterday. #There were several boats and most did fairly well. One group took a lot of juvenile dolphin fish and a really nice knobby from somewhere near Patches. #

We drifted in close for most of the morning and anchored up for the change of tide. #Wind didn't get over 10kts and the predicted 2-3metre swell was a fizzer - almost glassy out there. #Had an issue with the charter guy who just happened to be tootling past when I was pulling in the small jew. #He plugged into our drift, which I suppose you wouldn't mind another small boat doing, but for a charter guy with about 8 rods to keep following you on a drift and probably set on doing the repeat when we did, I wasn't very impressed and told him so. #Not my ocean I know, but there weren't so many boats out there that he couldn't find a spot of his own

Jeff caught the bigger jew (8.5 Kg gilled and gutted) with a live yakka on a floater that sunk in the almost no drift, #I caught the schoolie on a SP on the top hook of a 3-hook Paternoster rig #and the cobe on a live whiting . Mostly everything else was caught on pilchards. #Worth noting that the big jewie had a whole whiting in his throat as well. Still no mackerel for us.

Tony

aussiefool
04-04-2006, 06:17 AM
Well done mate, dosen't give you the Egar Britts when someone regardless of where your fishing comes and fishes in your pocket >:(

CHRIS_aka_GWH
04-04-2006, 06:45 AM
nice catch Tony,

so was it just the 2 of you drifting on the surfboard ? :D

Tony_N
04-04-2006, 09:35 AM
nice catch Tony,

so was it just the 2 of you drifting on the surfboard ? #:D

;D ;D ;D Yeh Chris, just the two of us. Last time I laid them out on the ground I got grass all over the fish - the surfboard cover was the cleanest thing around other than some sheets and things out of the cupboard - and they were only a fleeting consideration :)

Tony

TIM-DONSELAAR
04-04-2006, 12:09 PM
bugger the mackerel tony,you still picked up a decent feed...Well Done #;)

cheers tim #:D

mono
04-04-2006, 08:08 PM
Nice fish there Tony, I forget the last time I caught a decent jewfish. No comment about the charter boat, but yes it is a big ocean and its a pity most anglers dont use a bit more etiquette on the water, particulary when they see you catching fish.
Is the water still cool down your way?
Cheers

Tony_N
04-04-2006, 08:43 PM
G'day Mono

High 24's - couple of areas very early 25's . Water fairly green in close. though there was some better looking water as we ventured out just a bit. Taking comfort in the fact that traditionally we're looking at Easter as the start of the season.

Yeh etiquette is an interesting area - and limpets must always be a problem for you and i suppose its a cross you just have to carry. Surprising to see it in reverse though. (I mean a pro chasing mugs). I was so surpriseed by it that for our next drift I stopped the boat on the way past him and called him a prick!! (out of character, I say in my own defence) He did leave after that, but at that time I would like to have had an undisturbed run at any other schoolies that might have been where I caught the first one.

Likewise I haven't caught a Jew since last year - but in retrospect, if I'd known we were going to catch the bigger Jew, I'd have returned the schoolie. So maybe it wasn't so bad after all. :)

Tony

White_Steenbras
04-04-2006, 08:50 PM
Nice fish mate, can smell the fillets cooking away ;D

Good on ya.

mono
04-04-2006, 09:00 PM
Hi Tony, yes unfortunatly since getting the new boat its abit hard to hide ;) and 'followers' have been a major problem. Its a big cross to bear, but, I guess its my own fault because I keep posting photos and articles ect and sometimes just too bloody honest. I dont mind 'followers' but it really gives me the ***** when they see you catching fish on a slow troll then go and anchor right were you have been hooking up. >:(
The way I look at it is I would not do it to someone so dont do it to me.
I've had to take the long way around some days just to put 'followers off the track!!
Anyway we've had our bitch so back to fishin'.
Cheers