PDA

View Full Version : First Spaniard for Escapee

Escapee
05-04-2006, 10:18 AM
Now its taken me a few weeks to finish the film in the camera and get this photo developed (must upgrade to a digital for the boat) but finally here is the photo of my first spaniard!

It was caught trolling a Halco 160 at the northern end of Moreton Island. It had been one of those tough days when you work hard to catch fish witout much success, when towards the end of the day, bang, this thing hits the lure. It took 300yds of braid in its first run. Yeehaa!!

It measured 1.3m long and no, in all the excitement, i forgot to weigh it. The deckie reckons i turned into a gibbering idiot for about 30 mins after we got it on board. Yes i was very happy! ;D ;D

From now on i'll never forget my first spaniard. ;)

Escapee

PeterT
05-04-2006, 10:31 AM
Good on ya Escapee!
They are the best I reckon. I pulled my first spaniard for the season last week while jigging for reefies. Only about 1 metre but they are just the best fish to have on the end of your line aren't they? And you can never count on landing one even with the best gear and terminals. The number of times one of their mates has taken a liking to the braid zipping through the water and snipped me off would make you cry. Every fish is a celebration.
Forget barra, jews etc. Nothing beats sitting with a livie out and seeing a bait fish followed by a spaniard leap out of the water and fly through the air 10ft off the surface and reenter 30ft from where it took off. They are amazing speedsters.

well done and many more to ya.

pete

Lone_Wolf
05-04-2006, 10:38 AM
Nice blue Escapee,

Once you have caught one, nothing really compares to the screaming reel performance these fellas put on for a show. Do you remember what depth you got him in?

bigmack
05-04-2006, 11:29 AM
Escapee - Nice looking fish and well done because they are few and far between at the moment.

Good chewing - when you fillet the spanos dont forget to take home the backbone and lightly flour the backbone and remaining flesh and place on the flat bbq plate - then sit down with a fork and a few beers or chardy and flake off the juicy white fish - its just the best.

Phill

TIM-DONSELAAR
05-04-2006, 11:47 AM
Well Done Escapee on your first spaniard #[smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

cheers tim #:D

isaac
05-04-2006, 02:38 PM
Nice work [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

Escapee
05-04-2006, 04:19 PM
Thank you all for your comments. I'm looking forward to my next one. 8-)

Escapee

Slient
05-04-2006, 05:16 PM
Nice mac :)
I was there last friday no mac or Hoo :(
Congral's again 8-)

cheers
Silent

pegasus
05-04-2006, 05:24 PM
Hi Escapee,

congratulations-top stuff- the smile says it all.

best regards,
lew

roz
05-04-2006, 07:47 PM
Congratulations on your first spanish mackeral, the trouble is........ it only makes you want to catch more.

cheers roz

Big_Ren
05-04-2006, 08:25 PM
Top effort Escapee. By the look of your tail grip in the photo, that fish was going nowhere lol.

Cheers and well done.
Paul :)