PDA

View Full Version : Reds, Sharks and more Sharks

Reefmaster
04-04-2006, 09:52 PM
Howdy all
Just a quick report. Headed out the Wide Bay Bar mid Sunday morning and hit a spot for some yakkas and picked up a spottie on the bait jigs which i hooked in the tail. Headed for the horizon and after a long run found some new ground which produced a few hussar, small reds and nice Maori cod. Headed wider and pulled up in the red country and found them schooled up around a nice bommie. Pulled some nice reds with sharks scoring a few. The reds weren't huge ones but nice legal stuff upto around 10kg which was good considering it was the middle of the day. The oldman also produced a stonker Spangled Emperor of 8kg and mixed in with that was some big hussar one of which was the biggest i had seen and its fins were all old and torn. The pic just does not do it justice. After pulling a fair share of red we headed north to some great country which holds plenty of life. It was loaded with bait and first drop resulted in solid hook ups. The oldman was raising his fish but a big shark was right behind. It was a nice Snapper around the 8-9kg range which pop the surface and i saw it was only just hooked in the lip and as i went to grab it the hooks pulled and down it went. In the mean time because i had stopped for a few seconds to help out, my fish which felt like a big knobbie also was sharked in seconds. The next hour or so was very frustrating and we hooked nice fish but every single one would not have made it 10 mtrs off the bottom before being nailed no matter how hard you tried. After this we hit some other spots for reds and a big dirty morwong but the current began to rage so we headed in close to Fraser on a spot and pulled nice squire and moses perch. The morning produced more squire, pearlies and I nailed a nice snapper on a floater before we headed for home but having a great sound around for several hours finding plenty of life but nothing decent to be pulled off it.

Good pics have been saved for BnB

Reefmaster
04-04-2006, 10:01 PM
A few large hussar around although this pic doesn't do this fish any justice. It looked old with split fins

Reefmaster
04-04-2006, 10:02 PM
Loads of sharks to ruin alot of fish. 12 foot tiger got this fella just behind the boat

Reefmaster
04-04-2006, 10:03 PM
a few reds

Reefmaster
04-04-2006, 10:04 PM
Another

Reefmaster
04-04-2006, 10:06 PM
this is the size most school reds are. Lots of them at this size. (60cm)

TIM-DONSELAAR
05-04-2006, 02:43 AM
good haul of big Reds there Reefmaster....its a shame the sharks destroyed a few #:'(

cheers tim #:)

bigbrian47
05-04-2006, 03:08 AM
greg aren't those reds a beautiful fish :) :)
if you have saved the best pics for B&B they must be good
that first photo of your father is a ripper
good fish good report as usual
cheers brian

markpeta
05-04-2006, 05:43 AM
Top fish there :o. Is there much taste differance between the just legal reds and the big boys?

Mark

Anne-T-Dote
05-04-2006, 07:50 AM
G'day Greg,

Nice one indeed - some awesome fish there. I still haven't nailed a red over 5kg yet. A 10kg Red is still a dream for me.

Geez those sharks really are a nuisance hey. What's the best way to deal with them?

liltuffy
05-04-2006, 07:58 AM
Hey Greg, are you guys launching off Inskip or going from a ramp?? Good fish champ

reeldreamer
05-04-2006, 08:59 AM
Nice work Greg! I am keen as mustard to get out over the wide bay bar and chase some of those reds. I will be listening with much interest on sunday for your talk on reds in that neighbourhood! If your not to busy afterwards i'll come say g'day! Good report again! Looking forward to seeing that stonker sweetie in BnB! Obviously the new bub is not affecting to much of your fishing time? :D

Mitch

Fixation
05-04-2006, 09:00 AM
Nice haul reefmaster. I'm looking forward to hearing your talk on sunday morning. Looks like you had a ripper trip even though the men in gray suits got a few. Great work. Looks like conditions were pretty good too. ;)

seapup
05-04-2006, 09:18 AM
Nice haul there Greg! How big is your boat? I am keen to run up to DI and the southern end of Fraser from Noosa and fish some red bombies in my boat.. Seems to be the spot for Reds. You using braid or mono to catch the reds?
Thanks mate,
Ben. ;)

Az
05-04-2006, 09:58 AM
you guys always manage to come up with the goods, would love to pick your brains one day

thanks for the pics and look forward to seeing the other pics in b&B

reef_king
05-04-2006, 11:50 AM
hey greg,
good on'ya mate on gettin the reds to the boat ;) Alot of the reds we were catching were around the 60-70cm stuff with the biggest making the boat also only 10kg, we actually moved off trying to find the big girls,( seems like theres alot of school sized red at the moment on those grounds.) Looks like we were fishing VERY similar areas. Good pics and report.

catch ya, ty.

Big_Ren
05-04-2006, 08:45 PM
Top fish again Greg. Looks like you might be preaching to a packed house on Sunday :o

Best of luck with the talk and congrats on the catch.

Cheers
Paul ;)

Reefmaster
05-04-2006, 09:15 PM
Markpeta
Some say the big fellas don't taste all that good but as long as you cut them into similar thickness fillets they taste very much the same in my opinion

Macca- When the Sharks are thick there is no way to avoid them. Even with deck winches it's still hard. A good way would be to have 4 people all on deck winches and hooking up at similar times and all winding like crazy in hope that atleast one makes it up. The best way to avoid them is by sticking away from large reefs with big rises as this is probally more shark heaven then Red heaven.

liltuffy - Have been launching from either Tin Can or Carlos point (carlos has fish cleaning table) The bayside of DI has been washed away from recent seas. You have to see it to believe it :o And the palm trees at the Toilets have been cut down :-? :(

Mitch- Look forward to meeting with you. If you really want a good crack at reds then go from fraser because it's so far to travel from the bar and if you are new to the area then you will soon realise how much ocean there is out there. ::) Mate the new bub has slowed me up a little but the weather has been crap to match. :) I have many red years left in me yet so might have to stay low for while until the kids grow up a little otherwise i could be single pretty quick. ;D ;)

Fixation- Those Sharks almost ruin the trip and take alot of the fun out of it but we should be gratefull for what we still caught anyway. Mate came and say gday if you get time would be good to meet you.

Seapup-
Mate the boats only 5.5mtrs so you have to pick your days thats for sure. From Noosa upwards is more suited to reds but the area between Noosa to DI is pretty hard to find good quantity of reds and the reefs are very patchy and hard to find. You have to have loads of patience and plenty of time. There on one reef one day and gone the next.

Az- Come to the Tackle and Tinnie show this weekend and i will cover all i know about Reds.

Ty- We will beat them one day mate (I'm dreaming) ;D ::)

regards Greg

DALEPRICE
05-04-2006, 09:22 PM
top report greg, congrats
cheers dale

outsiderskip
06-04-2006, 05:13 AM
hi greg some ausome reds there
hopeto catch up sunday

cheers pete

Wilson
06-04-2006, 09:30 AM
Once again topshelf! 8-)

Fixation
06-04-2006, 11:44 AM
Hey Greg,

Yeah I'll try and get over to you after your talk. Be good to meet you. See how the crowds go. Looking forward to it.

Catch ya.
Craig.

White_Steenbras
06-04-2006, 10:44 PM
Thats a great story and the pics are excellent, the colour of those fish is amazing. Top effort!

Whats the Hussar like to munch on???

agnes_jack
07-04-2006, 06:43 AM
Still slaying em Greg!!
Well done, Thats a huge hussar mate.
We've had some big fella's around here lately too, but not that big!!

Regards, Tony

reeldreamer
07-04-2006, 01:01 PM
Thats a great story and the pics are excellent, the colour of those fish is amazing. Top effort!

Whats the Hussar like to munch on???

I rate them as one of the best!

White_Steenbras
08-04-2006, 11:51 PM
Cheers mate will keep an eye out for them at the markets, thats if they have them there.