PDA

View Full Version : REDS,SNAPPER & PEARLS

dfox
09-04-2006, 05:13 PM
I had a busy weekend lined up, but after looking at the weather chart friday afternoon all plans went out the window and within an hour or two the boat was loaded and hooked up, bait purchased crew organised and we were on our way to mooloolaba.
Crew this trip were paul (spaniard) and his mate peter, dad couldnt make it due to some lame excuse (poor old fella) :-X
Well conditions exceeded all expectations with no wind, no swell and no current so at 4 grand and 30knotts it was an easy trip out.With such ideal conditions i fished many of my marks that are small and usually extremely hard to position the lines on.The first couple of spots produced fish with the likes of pearlies,moses perch,husser and a couple of AJs to tighten all the knotts, although all nice fish i was a little dissapointed and i moved around until at about 3am i came across a solid show of fish. The anchor was dropped and as the boat settled back on the show the lines were dropped. Its always good to get instant hook ups on the way down and this was the case! The boys were on and as i prepared my rod the first snapper were hitting the deck. I dropped down and also hooked up to a solid fish which proceeded to peel the drag, i hung on and began working hard on what was obviously an xxos nobby, just as the battle swung into my favour the 80lb trace gave way on the tooth of the fish and a fustrated angler conceeded defeat.
Over the next few hours the snapper turned it on and it was basically childs play catching them with 4kgs fish the norm and the odd 5kg fish.
With the pre dawn bight session apon us i made the big call to leave these fish and anchor several hundred meters away on a spot thats produced reds in the past. As many of you know this can really come back to haunt you if the fish dont bight! Paul being an old hand at catching reds was keen and pete who'd never caught a red and was having a ball was ready for anything so all were in favour.
Pete was first down on the new location and after no more then several seconds he was grunting and groaning battling a solid fish, he called it for another big snapper but after a good fight his first ever red hit the surface. As the morning glow filled the sky and the boat no longer required the lights on, the reds started coming aboard regularly with a mix of snapper and the first of many parrot. Pete really struggled on one fish which turned out to be a healthy 12 kg red, our best of the trip.
By 7am the fishing had slowed to a trickle and over the next few hours we did a bit of drifting and pulled out the jigs for some punishment on the AJs. Well the jigs worked and an hour later with sore arms i'd had enough.
With the jigs put away and the hooks back on we went hunting pearlies, paul had some sucess early with a double of a red and nice mouri cod and i got some great video footage of both these fish and some nice pearlies of 3-4kg being caught. We took some pics and tried one last spot before leaving. Well the pearlies we pulled off this last spot would have to be some of the best ive seen, most were 5kg fish with the best two going 76cm and close to 6kg fish. Id only just photographed some 4kg fish and these paled them! We left them bighting on a high and without doubt id have to say this was some of the best and most enjoyable fishing ive encountered offshore in southeast queensland. I can only go down hill from here! or can i?
Anyway heres a few pics i hope you enjoy them and happy easter to you all ...foxy

I know your all sick of snapper pics, but heres pete with his first of the night...

dfox
09-04-2006, 05:15 PM
And pete with his first ever red :) good one mate

dfox
09-04-2006, 05:16 PM
And he bettered it with this fella...

dfox
09-04-2006, 05:19 PM
Pathetic isnt it, but me with a nice moses perch

dfox
09-04-2006, 05:20 PM
Paul with a nice double...

dfox
09-04-2006, 05:22 PM
Paul with a pearly, theres a better one on the way in the back ground.

NeilD
09-04-2006, 05:22 PM
You have outdone yourself again Foxy. Very impressive fish [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Neil

dfox
09-04-2006, 05:23 PM
Something for pete to be proud of 76cm of pearl perch...

dfox
09-04-2006, 05:27 PM
I took heaps of pics, but last one the boat floor :)

As a side note; nice to meet and talk to all those i ran into at the tackle and tinnie show today. And well done on your talk greg (reefmaster) catch ya...foxy

StevenM
09-04-2006, 05:32 PM
Nice haul of fish there foxy

indy
09-04-2006, 05:39 PM
Great day and very nice fish why did i opt to go to work silly silly me

TIM-DONSELAAR
09-04-2006, 05:47 PM
good report and great pictures dfox #[smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

cheers tim #:)

John_R
09-04-2006, 05:55 PM
Looks like an overnighter to the Banks is the go.

Top effort Foxy

White_Steenbras
09-04-2006, 06:00 PM
Geeeee, wish those moses in the creeks grew to that size, cos they hit the plakkys so hard.

Great pics mate, never bored of Red photo's.

620sf
09-04-2006, 06:23 PM
Top write up and pics Foxy, sounds like the fish were biting hard for the day. Kicked myself all day about not getting out. Maybe over easter.

Luke

outsiderskip
09-04-2006, 06:59 PM
top quality fish there foxy
best i have seen for a long time

cheer pete

Big_Ren
09-04-2006, 07:19 PM
Some awesome fish Dave and a great report. That is one stonker of a pearlie. Were you fishing the Banks or did you venture further north? What was the current like?

Cheers and well done again
Paul ;)

DALEPRICE
09-04-2006, 07:23 PM
awesome write up dave, those perlies
have just put my heart in overdrive :o
makes my flathead fishing for the weekend look
real dismal ;D
top stuff and congrats.
dale

vertico
09-04-2006, 07:27 PM
top fish foxxy great report!
when am i coming :)

snappa
09-04-2006, 07:41 PM
i can't seem to find my reply ...
bugga
thats because .. :-?

well done "AGAIN"

-spiro-
09-04-2006, 08:10 PM
CRAP :o Dave you out done yourself with that catch ;D Well done :D

maztez
09-04-2006, 08:10 PM
Top report Foxxy great haul of fish congrats
cheers Terry

mono
09-04-2006, 08:53 PM
Geez Foxy, mate it looks like the fishing was 'goin off'. Well done. Currents raging down here. Bugger, bring on winter!
Cheers

dfox
09-04-2006, 09:09 PM
Ren- there was no current.
Mono- its hard to put into words the way they went off! you just keep that current down there! lol

Petes gear out there was abit different, the trusty alvey with an extra long live fibre, everytime we bagged him he shut us up by landing something better then us. Heres him in action having fun...

Angla
09-04-2006, 09:15 PM
Nice of you to put your mates onto lots of great fishing.
Everyone should have been happy with that.
Totally envious of the fish

Got my virgin dolly saturday thanks to Billo. Small one but can only get bigger from there

Angla

Burley_Boy
09-04-2006, 09:31 PM
Fantastic stuff Dave,
When I grow up I wanna be just like you ;D
Thanks for another cool report.

adamleah
09-04-2006, 09:31 PM
Yep ,, Well what can I say ..I was waiting for this report ...

Once again, I could't make the trip due to work commitments and of course the weathers perfect and Dave brings in Reds ... ::) and everything else !!!!
Just wondering what it is with me and Reds and the big cat:-[ :-[
Everytime I can't make it out ... He Bags out on em ... Dave is even saying now that he knows hes gonna get heaps when I say no to a trip....

Come on Dave I got to prove you wrong ...
Just got to start praying for a wind and current free easter...... and I'll show you ;) ;) ;)

We have to try these Tyrnos's out!!!

By the way ,, Well Done Again .. You Buggers

Adam "the big RED VIRGIN"

reef_king
09-04-2006, 09:37 PM
Awesome catch dfox, they are quality fish. ;D
What size gear you using? , depth of water fishing?

Once again great catch

cheers, ty

Dave
09-04-2006, 10:46 PM
Awesome fish there Foxy. Thats one of the best reports yet. Will have to hit you up for a trip oneday.

Dave

revs57
10-04-2006, 08:18 AM
Fantastic report & fish Dave,

You've raised the bar another notch mate...

Cheers

rhys

shut_up_and_fish
10-04-2006, 09:44 AM
still waiting on the call up to change those flat tyres foxy..........

top stuff mate..............still waiting to get my first red hint hint wink wink

Anne-T-Dote
10-04-2006, 12:51 PM
Awesome trip Dave

They are some MONSTER pearlies and that moses is just HUGE

It was a pleasure to finally meet you and Milton yesterday. Hope you guys have a great Easter too.

Cheers,

Rob.

Fixation
10-04-2006, 01:31 PM
Great trip foxy. I was talking with Greg yesterday at the show and he said you loaded up. Mate nice reds there. Was a great day out on the water. Top stuff. ;)

seapup
10-04-2006, 01:51 PM
Hi Foxy,
Great work mate well done! You would have to be happy with that haul! Were you fishing up off DI when you got onto the Reds? ;)
Thanks,
Ben.

searaider
10-04-2006, 06:05 PM
Onya foxy - Dave ,
What can I say that the otherguys already havent .
AWESOME catch . :o :o :o
Good to catch up with you again at the Tinny & Tackle Show .

Peter
SEaraider 2

nigelr
10-04-2006, 06:28 PM
GREAT post Foxy, with pics to match. Just out of interest, how many k's offshore were you, roughly?
6 kg pearlies, AWESOME! Not to mention the other fish............
Cheers!

Volvo
10-04-2006, 07:04 PM
Ditto to whats allready been said Foxy, great stuff ;)..
Cheers