PDA

View Full Version : Brunswick Offshore April 9th

kiljora
10-04-2006, 06:30 AM
# # Well decided to take a trip with Mono yesterday in hope of catching some mackerel. Unfortuneatley the mackerel didn't co-operate.
#As with any trip with Mono, the first stop was to get the livies didn't have too much trouble doing that but there were more yakka's than slimies, so we had to work our way through them to fill up the live bait tank.
# We then headed towards julian rocks as Mono had heard they were geting some kingies around there the day before. It didn't take long, only about 5-10 mins before we heard the rachet scream and after a bit of effort we landed a nice kingie of about 3kg, not huge but great eating around this size. We kept trolling around there with these live baitpicking up a about another 6 kinigie and some huge Mack Tuna.
# #It was around about midday and the swell had pick up a bit and Mono decided to head towards the windarra banks to see what else we could find out there as he had caught a nice black marlin out there only two days before. Unfortuneatley we could find anything except a few little mack tuna's to hit the lure. But it was an amazing sight to look around and there were just literally thousands of these little mack tuna's on the surface everywhere you looked. We then headed back to Black rock in search of some mackerel but nothing eventuated there except another couple of huge mack tuna's.
#The had really picked up around black rock now and I would say it was somewhere between 4-6 metres. We even saw one wave break over black rock which Mono said was a pretty rare thing. If Mono sees this post he might have some pictures of the swell for you if any turned out.. We then head for home and had a huge audience of people standing on the breakwall watch us return though this huge swell..

# Took a picture of one of the kingies we caught as I said not huge but it sure did taste great last night...

Cheers Tony

kiljora
10-04-2006, 06:31 AM
here's the pic of one of the kingies

mono
10-04-2006, 09:54 AM
Hi Tony, it was good to finally meet you and your dad. Pity the mackerel didnt want to play for anyone yesterday, but at least the kingies and tuna gave us something to play with.
The photos of the swell dont do it justis so I wont post any but jeez some of them sets in the arvo were huge!
The face of 'That' wave that broke on Black Rock reef (in 60 feet of water)had to be at least 30 feet top to bottom. I've surfed all my life and the only other wave I have seen like that was in Kawai at a place called 'Death'. I'm just glad we were trolling on the outside of the reef when that thing rolled through.
Anyway, no fishing today obviously. Again mate sorry about the macs but we certainly gave them a good shot.
Know you understand why I rave about downriggers too! I think out of the 20 odd hits we had, over half were down deep when no-one else was getting a touch!
I've included a shot of one of your kingies.
Cheers.
PS. Jeez your quick on those strikes!

mono
10-04-2006, 10:07 AM
Hi again Tony, this is what we wanted at Windarra. This fish was caught last week and was obviuosly feeding on those acres of small mactunas.
Cheers

kiljora
10-04-2006, 04:44 PM
yeah was gettin pretty quick on those stikes by the end of the day, but i just love fishin and I could watch the end of that rod tip all day waiting for something to pounce on the livie.

Thanks for that pic. I had my digital camera onboard yesterday but kept forgeting to get it out. guess I was too excited about the fishing. Yeah that downrigger is amazing.... Great shot of the black marlin..

Will definetly be back next year to chase those Mackerel and I might even get out later in the year to get some of those big pearlies out wide... Just gotta remember to book a bit earlier next year.

Thanks again for the great trip. You certainly lived up to your reputation...

Cheers Tony

banshee
10-04-2006, 08:10 PM
"P.S. Jeez your quick on those strikes"

........He probably thought Webby was hiding up in the front cab somewhere......LOL.

DaneCross
10-04-2006, 08:47 PM
Love that pic of the marlin. What was the estimated weight on that fella mono?