PDA

View Full Version : barwons sat 15/4

ducksguts
17-04-2006, 01:54 PM
Headed out from Moololaba about 1:30am on sat morning. A bumpy run out in a little left over slop. Went straight to the outer ledge in 80m of water. First frop on the first drift saw the new member of the crew (the brother in law) on his first ever trip to the barwons nail a 5kg snapper. He was more than a little pleased with his efforts. So much so that he decided his job was done and with the sedative effects of the sea sick tablet kicking in he had a 2hr snooze on the floor of the open tinnie right under anchor well...
Things slowed for the rest of the crew after the first drop and the persistent SE made drifting over the small ledge holding the fish a little tougher then we'd have liked. Not wanting to wake the sleeping crew though we weren't able to anchor and so wasted a lot of good fishing time.
We continued to pick up some reasonable fish up till dawn then anchored on the ledge. We were then plagued by thousands of just under size to legal pearlies and it was a battle keeping away from these vermin. (never thought I'd say that).
Several times we had hooked up fish hit just off the bottom by other fish. One 35cm pearly was nailed just of the bottom. A very solid fish dogged it out for about 30secs before deciding to spit out the pearly. It came to the surface looking scaled but with no signs of being torn apart. So what was hitting the pearlies??? Dont think it was sharks cause they would have torn em apart so maybe cobia or cod????
A really solid tuna took a midline pillie and the arms stretched a few cms but was deemed way to big for strip bait and returned.
Hunted around a few other spots then pulled the pin at 10 and headed for home. Was a bitch of a trip into 15kts of southerly in a 19ft tinnie. Were totally battered by the time we got to the river.
We ended up bagging out on snapper/squire and got 10 legal pearlies plus a bunch of randoms. A nice catch but we had to work hard for them. Overall were a little disapointed in the size. Only 1 solid snapper but a few others just over the 2kg mark made for a nice feed. We did seem to have a lot of quality fish spit the hooks but thats fishing...

ducksguts
17-04-2006, 02:08 PM
the brother in laws first snapper

sempre
17-04-2006, 03:19 PM
I have found those Pearlies to be great bait for big ambo's , just a guess , but i think thats what hit your fish , especially in that outer ledge area .

sam...

dfox
17-04-2006, 03:22 PM
Well done mate, i agree with sam, deffently AJ's smashing the pearlies...foxy

kingcobe
17-04-2006, 06:37 PM
top stuff

StevenM
17-04-2006, 06:41 PM
Good looking catch there. The bro law look happy with his efforts

cheers

steven