PDA

View Full Version : reds and bustups off fraser

reef_king
03-04-2006, 07:06 PM
Headed out friday arvo from tin can, with my bro and mate big kev.8 mile out by dusk and fished slowly for some small pearlies [ released ]and nannigai which we ate the next morning :P. Headed to the shelf fishing a few spots as we went dodging the lightning storms.next morning landed a few reds 3nm from shelf, but soon went quiet.Fished all day on various marks as we went north pulling reds along the way.A no. of spots had plenty of reds there but there size was not what we were chasing. Around lunch time we were pulling red throats and reds 7-8kg on the first couple of drifts, on a new bommie we found, but soon went quiet after loosing some real big fish to sharks, so we moved on.

Got to a group of bommies at an area I call 'SHARK SHOAL' at about 4.30pm.This area holds huge reds and many other big finned creatures. This spot is not normall fishing, 80pd line, locked drags,stand up game rods, just don't cut it.Down went the 200pd deck winches with 11/0 hooks and whole mullet ......WHAM tHE winches drag starts screaming adding hurt to the fish gets it almost halfway up then sharked.Next few drops resulted in higher drags to beat the sharks which resulted in snapping 11/0 hooks in half the 180pd trace or pulling hooks.We only landed 2 reds from this spot which were real small (7,7.5kg) compared to the beasts that got away.On dusk the wind changed to the ne and pushed us off the reds,we droped anyway which resulted in a hot bight for the next 10mins on some snapper.5 Made it to the boat before the sharks realised they were letting some through, And stole a huge nobbie 8-10kg right in front of us.After this the fishing went real quiet so we settled for a sleep.

Sunday morning after a sleep in 6.30 up.We pulled anchor and did some drifts around this area,Same result as saturday and couldn't get the huge reds in the boat before the sharks.Really pissed off so headed south back to the mark we were catching reds and red throat at.We only needed 1 more red to make our bag limit,so we all droped resulted in a double hookup on really good fish,both sharked.Next drift was on another bommie 100mtrs away which resulted in a triple hookup.The only thing we were thinking was piss off sharks, lucky enough 4 legal reds made it to the boat and a nice red throat ;D, that was our last drop and we headed for home.

reef_king
03-04-2006, 07:10 PM
another red

reef_king
03-04-2006, 07:12 PM
and another

reef_king
03-04-2006, 07:13 PM
a nice red throat at 4.5kg

reef_king
03-04-2006, 07:16 PM
more reds

reef_king
03-04-2006, 07:17 PM
last drop 1

reef_king
03-04-2006, 07:18 PM
last drop 2

reef_king
03-04-2006, 07:20 PM
reds on the sounder

reef_king
03-04-2006, 07:22 PM
shelf snapper

reef_king
03-04-2006, 07:25 PM
biggest went 10kg

reef_king
03-04-2006, 07:31 PM
average reds 7-8 kg,snapper to 5.5kg, good parrot at 4kg and the hussar were going 50cm.

insideout
03-04-2006, 07:54 PM
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNICE!!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully we will venture down through the south fraser bar to get us some of the red emp action. Is there much ground (besides shelf) to fish down that way? We usually go up through the top fraser bar to fish the grounds there through to the shelf.
Good report ,great fish!! :)

indy
03-04-2006, 08:24 PM
Well done got to love those reds you must have a bloody big esky very very jealous

;D ;D

snappa
03-04-2006, 09:35 PM
one day ...... :-[

barraletic
03-04-2006, 09:51 PM
Awsome trip hey?, I am going to tow my little 4.55mtr glass boat to Inskip for eeaster do you know of any good fishable spots for me . I dont even know if i can get outside from Inskip camp ground HELP!

Angla
03-04-2006, 10:58 PM
I'm red with envy...............

Angla

lattic
04-04-2006, 07:30 AM
Awesome trip, well done mate.

revs57
04-04-2006, 07:34 AM
Roll on May and the toyota...thanks for the encouragement...nice haul and some l-o-v-e-l-y fillets among that lot...good story too

cheers

rhys

Slient
04-04-2006, 07:38 AM
What a bunch of reefie... well done 8-)

Cheers
Silent

620sf
04-04-2006, 08:09 AM
Some great fish there, one day we might the effort to get up there.

Luke

Fixation
04-04-2006, 09:07 AM
Mate I'm speechless. :o Great haul. How long does it take to steam out to the shelf from the bar?

reef_king
04-04-2006, 10:20 AM
hi guys,

Insideout,
yes theres alot of reef out from the wide bay bar all the way to the shelf. Alot of the close grounds(up to 15nm) is flat reef and can be hard to find while on the cruise unless you have a good quailty sounder that can sound at speed. Alot of good fish can be caught in close but the reds tend to be further out. When you fish the top of fraser do you get many jobbies/what species are commonly caught?
Barraletic,
From inskip we used to launch a 5.35m allycraft at bullock point, the ramp isn't very big, is in poor condition and you need to go down a dirt road but is only about 5-10mins drive from the camping grounds. Being a 4.55m boat you could launch at inskip where the barges are. Both of these spots will need a 4x4. The other option is to launch at carlo point, but its about a 20min run to the bar from here. From memory easter holidays are generally rough offshore so if taking the boat out be careful of the bar, as it can be quite nasty and is about 1nautical mile long.
Fixation,
It depends on how fast you travel and where your fishing on the shelf. Generally takes around 2 hours.

griz066
04-04-2006, 10:56 AM
I wouldn't be going anywhere near the Wide Bay Bar in a 4.5 mtr boat unless it was as flat as your hat and was going to be like that all week.

Big_Ren
04-04-2006, 01:22 PM
Stunning catch mate and a top report.

Cheers
Paul :)

seapup
04-04-2006, 02:33 PM
Good effort mate! Well done! There are definitely some nice Reds to be caught off Fraser. ;D

FOOCKCHUCKER
04-04-2006, 02:38 PM
awsome fish there boys well done !! only @ 3 weeks to go and the dogs will be up there after them as well can not wait . that shot on the sounder looks a bit like a mark we have too it is very nice to see large red shows on the sounder is it not. ah weel you boys just got me worryed @ the pre- rigs i have done so will have to go triple check knots, increase hook strenght and leader size and go do some extra gym tonight on the tricepts and forearms we do need to be prepared for the size of the fish this trip. lock em up pull faces and grunt heaps boys you are on fire !!!! :o :P ::) ;D ;)

insideout
04-04-2006, 05:50 PM
Reef King,
have not much in the way of jobbies lately but just starting to get into jigging abit, most species we get are corination trout, red throat, pearlies,red emp,ect also plagic species like hoo , spaniards, dollies, small sails, but in coming trips going to try deeper drop-offs for larger blacks ect, mate ,whatever i can get my hands on!!! I still have a lot to learn from that area, because i could not get out there as much , until reciently!! ;) ;)

Jay_S
04-04-2006, 05:55 PM
Excellent work mate :o :o :o :o They are top fish you caught [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]
Great pics, I bet those reds pulled really hard ;D ;D

Cheers Jay 8-)

Anne-T-Dote
04-04-2006, 06:54 PM
Wow reef king - that is just amazing.

Can I ask what baits you were using (mainly for the reds).

White_Steenbras
04-04-2006, 08:56 PM
I reckon you'd have to have a massive esky.

Great catch guys, still haven't caught a Red yet. :'(

Great pics and post

Reefmaster
04-04-2006, 10:12 PM
Hi Ty,
Some nice fish there mate. Our trip sounded just like yours - Sharks sharks and more sharks >:(. atleast we both gotta a few :) we passed a boat on the way in which might have been you guys. When i spoke to you on the radio i knew we were in for a shark fest. >:(

regards Greg

Blown_away
18-04-2006, 06:46 PM
HEY #GUYS #U ARE #HARD TO GET HOLD OF #. WHEN ARE WE GOING OUT NEXT #. DAVE