PDA

View Full Version : Northern Banks with the Birds 16/4/2006

revs57
16-04-2006, 09:57 AM
Steamed out of Mooloolaba shortly after 3.00 am...quite a few boats at the Ramp so it appeared that many others were taking advantage of this spell of good weather. Crew this time was Jason, Lance (dad) and Nathan (young bro) Bird

4000RPM and 42klm hour saw us pull up on our Northern Mark after 1 1/2 hrs of reasonable travelling...only found angel gear a couple of times and the boat launched and landed softly...jacking the motor one hole has certainly changed the attitude of Flamin' Riptide.

After figuring out which was we'd be hanging we anchored up and were shortly swinging on the pick.

Nathan was quickly into a good fish, the 24kg live fibre/tld25 combo working well...nicely loaded up....blast dropped it...I quickly explained the boat tax rule to the new crew that anyone who drops a fish like that has to provide a carton of crownies to the Skipper #;)

Lance hopped in with a good moses perch, then he was in with a nice snappery thing...by the time he got it up it had maggots on it...but at least he didn't drop it...nice fish. #This mark has given us some beauties over the last couple of trips and expectation was rising. #Nathan got smoked by something huge...thats 2 cartons mate ;)..and I'm sitting back giving heaps and Jason is keeping his head down.

Just before first light we saw a huge billie free jumping some 150 metres to the Starboard...what a sight, man they are georgeous fish...can't wait to get one of them beauties on.

I had a good take...but no hook up (so therefore no carton - did i tell you - skipper makes the rules for boat tax ;))

and its all gone a bit quiet..so we start the work of burleying hard.

I've sent down a huge arrow head squid on the Penn/Rovex...this bait has huge fish written all over it...Jason does similarly on his 15 kg Snapper outfit. #We're floating the baits down...Jason puts his rod in a holder to get a drink...in the next second as I was watching the rod tip...It gets whacked, the drag starts to scream...I've turned to let Jason know he's on...he's now jumping for the rod and one word comes out of his mouth "Billfish" and this Black smaller than the one we saw earlier puts on an impressive ariel display and is heading for the coast at a great rate of knots...this thing peeled off 250 metres in a blistering run of eight consecutive jumps and lunges...man what a sight. #Lance, Nathan and i quickly up the other lines to give Jason all the space he needed.

Lance then goes off to make the pumpkin scone dough, Nathan whips the cream and gets the rasperry jam and I put the billy on for a brew so we can enjoy some devonshire tea while Jason was playing with his new friend...he kept calling it mate...come on mate...come here mate...not that way mate...don't go for the anchor rope mate...For hectors sake (we are using censored media here) mate come here...you're mine mate!!!

Seriously...this fish had some go...and Jason is chasing it all around the boat. #Thank goodness the Rip Tide has such wide gunnels it almost functions like a walk around and Jason took advantage of that when the billie took him for a walk around the boat.

Another series of jumps and then another...I'm amazed at the stamina of these fish...

At around the 30 minute mark the banter was really running thick, we went back for our second batch of scones and this time it wasn't squid mucous hanging from the right ear of the Bird Man, he was actually sweating...and this fish is no where near beaten and had gone deep.

A couple of side to side walks and the fish is now starting to tire, the circles are getting smaller, and Jason pumps it to the boat. #Nathan grabs the bill...the fish is belly up totally spent, Birdy likewise...see the pic...he's had it

We grab a couple of quick photo's for the brag book, then spent the next 40 mins trying to revive the fish off the rear of the Rip Tide...Dave that rear pod is an excellent platform for this kind of work....We cranked up the deck wash pump in the mouth and did everything to get it to swim again, but unfortunately it had died...we were all pretty disappointed. #It took the shine of a fantastic duel between man and fish...it deserved to live.

The Black was just over 7ft, tail to bill end and estimated somewhere around 55-60kg.

We reflected on it, that perhaps the way to really go for these beasties is with some serious "come here" gear so the fish doesn't knock it self out so much so will have a better chance for survival.

We drown a few more baits but its gone pretty quiet...so we decide to troll down to another mark further south but its all pretty quiet.

We shot out to a mark at 90 metres east of mid north banks and found a school of pearlies that were hungry and they were solid 40cm fish. #we pulled 15 or so of these, and at 11.30 decided to call it. We Trolled across the top of the banks to East Bowling green, raised another Billie but no strike...then headed home at 4000rpm and 46klm/hr to be home in an hour.

Had a great day with the Birds, some memorable moments with the Flamin Riptide's first marlin...Lance christened the deck with a beer when we got back during clean up.

Pics to follow

Till next time

Rhys

revs57
16-04-2006, 09:58 AM
Bird Man sweatin' it out

revs57
16-04-2006, 09:59 AM
nice bill fish...

revs57
16-04-2006, 09:59 AM
well done Jason

revs57
16-04-2006, 10:01 AM
Lance jagged a nice snapper but you'll have pick up B&B to check it out!!!!

-spiro-
16-04-2006, 10:23 AM
Well done Rhys alot of snapper at the moment have been sharked out there. But atleast you got all of instead of just the head ;D

620sf
16-04-2006, 10:28 AM
Some good fish there Ryhs, shame about the Marlin, plenty of good snapper.

Luke

jeffo
16-04-2006, 10:31 AM
nice fish....shame it died.

Dave
16-04-2006, 10:44 AM
Some good fish there Rhys. It's a pitty it ended that way.What did you end up doing with the billie? Was it invited home for dinner?

Dave

mirage
16-04-2006, 10:53 AM
Looks like you had a good night/morning Rhys.
I pulled up to load next to you on the boat ramp yesterday and saw the fish you or your team had just cleaned. I was in the black and white Freedom Seasport, not sure if you noticed. My first trip out in this new boat. We just went to Caloundra Wide and only got a few undersize squire. Not anymore action but had a good morning in the new boat :)
Will go up to the banks one night soon when the wind drops off again.
Cheers, Scotty.

revs57
16-04-2006, 11:03 AM
Hi Jeffo...we're with you on that one, like I said..took the shine off a good catch...

g'day Luke, we did have a geat time

Yeah Hainsey...I'm at CarewerX this morning distributing 26 packs of Marlin steaks...our community friends are very appreciative...Still, would have preferred to see him swim off

How did you go Chris?

Cheers

Rhys

Riptide_23
16-04-2006, 11:13 AM
Hey Rhys, troy wegner here, ians son. looks like you had a good trip. we went out on wednesday and cleaned up snapper, pearlies, aj, yellowtail king, cobia, sweetlip. all up about 40 fish. then went on friday and bagged out on snapper again and a few pearlies and a wahoo. we should organise a trip sometime soon.

troy

jeffo
16-04-2006, 11:14 AM
Rhys, i see the photo there where you just missed the jump shot, the fish was still jumping close to the boat there for its fair to say he was still very healthy... did you drag him out of the water for the photo or was that after he was dead? Like most pelagic fish marlin dont like not having water flowing through their gills at all times.If they must be dragged from the water (for what ever reason) then make it super quick and try to keep the deck wash in their mouth the whole time. then once they are back in a really good swim beside the boat is probably required.

Im not attacking you for killing the fish as its appparent it was your intentions to let him go, just a few little tips that might help you out next time.

SeaSaw
16-04-2006, 11:37 AM
Good effort guys, but as others have said its a shame the billfish died. Did you land it while still swinging on the anchor? Thats a great effort, :o but you would have saved a lot of time and energy by pulling the anchor and chasing it down. At least Jason will have something to brag about in the next B&B. ;) :)

Cheers,

Mark

Birdy
16-04-2006, 12:37 PM
Rhys,

Thanks again for a good day mate........was great fun out there again.

Jeffo,

After that jump shot the fish sulked deep for about 25 minutes and i could not lift the fish on snapper gear being at anchor an unable to change the angle on the fish,the fish died in the water before we could grab the bill i think,when little bro billed the fish it rolled upsidedown and would not even bite down on his hand or shake it's head.......it was done there and then.We still gave it 40 minutes to come good but lactic acid build up or heart attack (i've seen it more than once with bill fish) killed it after a long fight.
Unfortunate it died ......if were not at anchor we could and would have got it away swimming i reckon.

Birdy

damons33
16-04-2006, 01:44 PM
what a great report rhy's
try driving forward and away from the beakie, to be able to lift the fish up in the water column, before you get over him. once they get under you, you are putting very little pressure on him; you are just putting a belly in your line to the fish, it wouldn't matter if you had 24kg even in that same situation-

next time give it a go drive off and get at lest 45degrees to the fish behind your boat and see what happens, probably start jumping again and knock himself up for a easy release. hindsight is 20/20, k'sarah'
nice eatting snaps there.
damon

revs57
16-04-2006, 02:38 PM
Hi Scotty,

Yep saw the Freedom Sport...nice Rig, look forward for a chat next time.

G'day Troy...was wondering if the RipTide_45 handle belonged to someone I knew...sounds like you blokes had a good trip...yeah I'd be keen to do a trip..lets stay in touch with it.

I'm sure Jason wont miss this story for B&B Mark...should be a good read...betcha he won't mention the Devonshire tea bit though ;D ;D ;D

Hey Jase' it was a great trip with a fantastic crew...what are we gonna tell swano????

Cheers

rhys

dfox
16-04-2006, 02:39 PM
Good to see you managed a trip Rhys.
I think you'll have to start sorting these crew members out a bit though, take that jason for instance, hooks one little fish and prevents everyone else from fishing until he lands it! Its not good enough! ;)
Nathan, well he just misses all the good fish worth catching! ;D
Lance, well hes marginal, catches the odd one but theyve got maggots by the time there landed...
I think under these new government rules you can sack the lot! take the loss and start again mate, lol.
Seriously though, good report and great read. catch ya...foxy

revs57
16-04-2006, 02:52 PM
Hey Foxy,

...But they are good for boat tax ;D ;D ;D ;D

Although I might have to send out the collection agents ;D ;D ;D

Cheers

Rhys

Fixation
16-04-2006, 02:58 PM
Rhys,

Great report. Love the bit about baking scones. Was good to meet you and birdy yesterday. It's great that the people got a feed out of the billy and it didn't go to waste. Awesome craft you got. Great day to be out there.

revs57
16-04-2006, 03:12 PM
Hi Craig,

Yeah was good to catch up and see you with your beloved...I was quite serious about the offer to wed you both on the water using a flotilla of boats as the platform out at the Banks... ;D ;D ;D

I must admit the hardest thing I've had to do in a long time was finally accept our first marlin had died...then to see Jason barrel the carcass for the esky, I was kinda hoping for a revival moment so we could have returned it to the water. Wasn't gonna see it go to waste for shark food.

Our Community Centre friends are all very grateful to be eating fresh fish tonight...so it certainly didn't go to waste.

We are really happy with the Rip Tide...travells exceptionally well, beautifully stable at rest to the point of being able to fish three blokes down one side without upsetting it...fuel economy from the 150 efi merc is probably my only beef but even that improved quite a bit on this trip...153lt compared to 220lt for the last trip..yep looking forward to many good days on it.

Cheers

Rhys

Dave
16-04-2006, 04:31 PM
Good stuff Rhys. Would have been a bummer to have it cark it on you but it wasnt wasted, that has to be a bit of a consolation.

Dave

Angla
16-04-2006, 04:44 PM
Rhys, Thats life in the fish world and now you have experience and knowledge that may save

the next one.

Would have been terrible if you used it for bait, so it is good to see it feed some needy

people. Great story about the tea and scones

Saw you at Tangalooma on Saturday. I happened to be sitting half way up the sandhill and

spotted you cruising the boatyard that it was. Hard to miss the Flaming Riptide. I will say hello

next time.

Chris

OODIES
16-04-2006, 04:45 PM
You tell a great storey Ryhs.....look forward to your posts mate...

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #CHEERS # #OODIES(BINGO)

indy
16-04-2006, 05:43 PM
Well done to you for your efforts in trying to release such a beautiful fish great report anyway

cheers pete...

frenzy
16-04-2006, 06:36 PM
great effort lads

uripper
16-04-2006, 08:31 PM
what a great report rhy's
try driving forward and away from the beakie, to be able to lift the fish up in the water column, before you get over him. once they get under you, you are putting very little pressure on him; you are just putting a belly in your line to the fish, it wouldn't matter if you had 24kg even in that same situation-

next time give it a go drive off and get at lest 45degrees to the fish behind your boat and see what happens, probably start jumping again and knock himself up for a easy release. hindsight is 20/20, k'sarah'
nice eatting snaps there.
damon

I'm definitely no billy expert (yet to get one in my own boat) but saw similar events twice in NQ while on day reef charters - on both occasions the skippers wound up anchor (2-5 mins process) to drag the fish up - lost another 200-300m of line but with the improved angle of attack this was soon recovered, fish tagged & released - both skippers had similar motives 1.shorten the fight 2.avoid sharks 3.improve fish survival rate 4.get back to fishing for everyone else - both drove down-current at about 10+knots (not slow) with fish on only 10-15kg gear @ approx 1/3 drag setting - amazing technique - also heard dragging the fish beside the boat has better recovery effect than a deckwash (more water/oxygen forced over gills?)- maybe others with more experience could offer advice on this.
Anyway - if every boat that caught a billy took only 1 fish per year (& most dont) the effect would be negligable compared to the commercial haul - hope it tastes great, #better luck next time & thanks for sharing the story.
MalM

Bass43
16-04-2006, 10:06 PM
Great shots Rhys sorry to hear the fish died but it sounds like you did your best to revive it.
Cheers John :-/

adds31
16-04-2006, 10:42 PM
Sounds like you a good trip, well done. Unfortunate about the billie but those things do happen while anchored in deep water. Try and catch one on the drift or trolling next time so if he goes deep you can plane him up. Nice fish and congrats.

Cheers, Adds.....

John_R
17-04-2006, 06:31 AM
What did you do with the fish once it died? Are they edible?

reellife
17-04-2006, 08:52 AM
Birdy,

Great fish Birds, too bad it died. Next time you should try mouth to beak resusitation, even if the fish still dies at least you will enjoy it. ;D

Reellife

kingcobe
17-04-2006, 11:04 AM
Great fish. I bet the marlin fought hard.

Jay Jay

Anne-T-Dote
18-04-2006, 07:46 PM
G'day Rhys - Awesome story mate. Yet to catch a billy myself.

Sorry for the way in which we approached you on the water - I didn't realise you were trolling 'till the last minute. I feel bad for stopping you when you had the lures out, but I just wanted to say G'day. Your boat is unmistakable ;D. Anyway, if I seemed a bit short, it was just coz I felt guilty about pulling you up and just waned you to get back on your way again. ;)

'twas a tad ripply ou there for my lil' tub :o :o

Where you anchored after your troll, was that Jonesy (Seasaw) just to the east of you? I almost went and said G'day to him too, but at the time I was sure his rig looked a bit different to that. When I checked his pic on his avatar, I'm now almost certain it was him - DOH!

Anyway - was good to meet you.

PS - did you REALLY have a devonshire tea out in the boat - AWESOME :D :D

revs57
18-04-2006, 08:12 PM
G'day Rob,

No probs mate...always good to say g'day...thought it was a good effort for you to be out there...you're boat seemed to handle it O.K...looked to be riding well, did you get a few?

Mate, the devonshire tea is never too far away when someone takes forever to bring a fish in ;D ;D ;D ;D

Not sure if it was Sea Saw

Anyway, will catch you up again I'm sure...next time for a beer ;)

Cheers

Rhys

Anne-T-Dote
18-04-2006, 09:54 PM
Yeah Rhys, definitely should catch up over a beer some time. :D

We didn't do too well - only 3 snapper, 1 pearly, 1 maori cod, 1 red throat, 1 moses perch and 2 cobia (both released). A long way to go for not much of an esky full... :'(

Cheers,

Rob.

SeaSaw
18-04-2006, 11:09 PM
Could have been embarassing for ya Rob ;D .... I didn't make it out over the weekend

Mark

bidkev
19-04-2006, 03:05 PM
Good report Rhys, and well done Jason.

kev

Hope you guys don't beat yourselves up too much about the beaky........these things happen and I'm sure you did your level best to revive.

Bit puzzled about the squid bait though? ::) :o :-/ I'm sure you gave the impression that you never wanted to see another squid in your rig ;D

It is better to forget and smile, than to remember and be sad.

Big_Ren
19-04-2006, 04:22 PM
A top report Rhys and like those before have said, bad luck on the outcome with the marlin. Did you happen to be on the water on Good Friday as well? I was talking with Spiro at some stage and thought I heard your call sign over the air waves.

Cheers
Paul :)

revs57
19-04-2006, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the reminder about the squid incident Kev, Its birdy that's banned from bringing 'em live to the boat and we should never waste an opportunity to remind him ;D ;D ;D. We're onto these huge arrowheads from our Local CBT...they make a hoot of a bait.

G'day Paul, went out to Tanga's on Friday for a day on the water with the fam...man the wrecks was like a parking lot!