PDA

View Full Version : 76cm and 78cm Blue Spots

Mick
18-04-2006, 08:56 AM
A recent dive at Brittomah Reef (off Lucinda) produced a couple of PB's for myself and a mate. I got the 76cm Blue Spot Trout and my mate got the 78cm Footballer Trout. Concidering they were both pretty dam fat fish, I don't think these PB's will be broken for a while, also concidering the 80cm legal maximum limit.
For the record we also got 3 smaller blue spot trout, 8 normal trout (which gave us a total of 13 trout - one under the bag limit between 2 people), a good manga jack, a couple of blueys, spangleys and a red throat.

Mick
18-04-2006, 08:57 AM
My blue spot

Mick
18-04-2006, 09:00 AM
I also took this pic of bronze whaler / bull shark (I get these 2 mixed up - not much between them) from about 60 feet. The shark was a good 30-40 feet below me still.
When I first encountered it near the surface it wanted to eat me. Approx size of shark was 2.5m - 3m long. I called him Mr Cranky.

matt20
18-04-2006, 09:03 AM
Nice fish!
How deep do you have to dive to get fish like this, and how long would you be under for? I recently got a spear but am yet to successfully use it.
Cheers.

bugman
18-04-2006, 02:06 PM
Mick,

Where's the crays ?? - or are you not posting any more photos to save on the tax ;)

cyclone
18-04-2006, 08:56 PM
Nice trout Mick sounds like a good trip. I bet you slept well after that one. and yes I agree that looks like your typical cranky variety shark to me. Andrew.

TIM-DONSELAAR
18-04-2006, 10:57 PM
nice trout there fellas...i dont think i would be very keen on spearfishing with Mr Cranky around #;D ;D

cheers tim #:D

BenDover
19-04-2006, 04:11 PM
What depth of water was that in?? What phase of light? Because that looks like there was alot of light down there? And very corally...

Mick
19-04-2006, 05:36 PM
Mr cranky was named that for a reason, but most of them are not normaly as bad as he was. Every now and then you get a persistent little bugger that probably swam into a rock at birth and damaged its already puny brain. He's lucky I didn't have the power head as it could of been used as a clear method of self defence.

Matt20, it does help to be able to spend a bit of time on the bottom at 20 -30 feet to start finding decent trout, although they can be found at all depths. At some of the more remote reefs you can even get oversize trout swim up to the surface and check you out as they are an extremely inquisitive fish. They arn't stupid though, so if you fire a shot at one don't expect him to be hanging around to give you a second chance. If you can spend a few moments at 50-60 feet you should be laughing.

Bugs, no crays lately and has been the topic of conversation around the local pubs between divers for a while. Seems they have BUGgered off somewhere...., although keep your eyes glued as winter isnt far off and I am sure they will be back soon enough. Until then there are plenty of other things to keep me occupied. I'll throw in another pic for the tax man.

Golden Trev trying to make a "run for it".

Mick
19-04-2006, 05:41 PM
The shark pic was taken at around 40 -50 feet and the shark was pretty close to the bottom. At a guess, maybe 25- 30 feet below me and more then likely some time in the late morning or early arvo. We usually park the boat on the ledges off reef lagoons between 60- 80 feet. Sorry for all the guess work on depths, its pretty hard to tell when free diving.