PDA

View Full Version : Fishing off Tweed Heads

Tunzafun
19-04-2006, 09:15 AM
Just thought I would post the results from my Easter trip. Thanks to everybody who provided me with info.

Headed out early on Friday Morning to be greeted by a fairly ordinary sea. Bar crossing was easy but by the time we got to Nine Mile it was a washing machine with 2 different swells and a wind chop on. Trolled for awhile with no result and then tried bottom bashing. Picked up a large Remora and some small reef fish but my deckie and the youngun on board were turning green. Decided to head back in and caught up with Ausfish Hagar on the radio. Met him just inside the the bar and said hello, it is good to be able to put names to faces occasionaly. My passengers had come good so we fished inside the river for awhile with no result. Time to go home.

Headed out again at 0500 on Saturday morning with a new seasoned deckie to find much better conditions. Trolled Cook Island, Fido's, The Mud Hole, Nine Mile, and the Pinacle with no result. Back to Cook Island and anchored up to try and get a feed (credibility was well and truly on the line here as a hunter and gatherer). Managed a good squire, 1 x decent Trevally, 3 x good Bream and lots of little stuff. Had a pilchard floating out back and after refreshing the old pilchard and throwing old bait into the berley trail, something big picked up the new pilchard as I let it out into the current. I waited for him to run a bit and then set the hook. Bl#@dy hell, I had hooked a freight train. The rod bent and the reel screamed. 20 minutes later I had a 3 Ft Tuna beside the boat. My seasoned deckie swung the gaff, bounced of the fish and hit the line. Goodbye fishy.

All in all it was an ordinary trip as far as fishing went and I understand how hard you guys have to work for your fish down there with all the boats about. Never saw any schools on the surface and birds were not working. I guess it was just one of those days.

Ross

Hagar
19-04-2006, 10:40 AM
Good to see you had better conditions on Saturday Ross . The sea conditions on Fri. were crap to say the least :-X :-X . Did you see what sort of tuna you had at the boat . Some big yellowfin have been around . You are right - it can be tough out of the Tweed sometimes . Other days it surprises you how good it is . Nice rig you have there . Have not forgotten that extra mark for the mud I found . Will PM it soon .

Cheers

Chris

kingcobe
19-04-2006, 06:26 PM
Top report

Big_Ren
19-04-2006, 10:31 PM
Better luck next time Ross. You're one trip closer to a golden day.

Cheers
Paul ;)

RAGINGBULL
21-04-2006, 02:51 PM
Hi Ross
Headed out Friday 14th 6am
Rounded the corner oh my gawd look at the disgusting sea.
Headed round the corner to the Jetty.
Picked up 20 liveys " yakkas " no slimeys unfortunately.Made sure they stayed alive till 9 mile
Drifting across SE of the main reef.
Mates
Blackie Picked up 2 yellowtail rat kings and 1nice mac tuna.
Joe 1 XOS parrot about 4kg
Me 1 rat yellowtail and 1 wahoooooo approx12.5kg

all got a few bits and pieces as well.

Liveys or fresh dead is the way to go....

Mark