PDA

View Full Version : cobia everywhere

frenzy
23-04-2006, 08:25 AM
went out of mackay on friday evening in perfect conditions to a close reef where weve caught heaps of pinkys.soon as we anchored they started chewing,bringing over a dozen good ones and plenty of small ones then they went quiet.after 30 mins or so of small nibbles and a decent jew came on board,then it all started happening.fishing with a handline old mate said grab the gaff ,ive got a goodn on here shined the torch into the blue and found myself looking at a monster cobia who apparently didnt like the look of me and went berserk,thats when mate 2 said ive got something good on over here as well.spent the next 15mins or so doing laps around the boat and anchor rope until finally we had them in the boat.1 was 19kg the other easily bottomed my scales out at over 22kg ,it was easy 5 ft long!
we released both of these and caught another 6 or so before dawn we kept 1 about 5 kg
after the sun was up we looked down into the water to see a school of monster cobes directly under us,ive never seen them so thick
we never had a camera but thats to be my next investment
we didnt get any more which was probalbly a good thing we were knackered by then,just some schoolies and big golden trevally to wear us right out
the wind was blowing about 20knt by now so we headed for home
top night out :)

frenzy
23-04-2006, 11:41 AM
heres some we got late last year,i will never keep big ones again ,still eating the stuff

kingcobe
23-04-2006, 07:30 PM
:o Nice cobes :o Nice catch :o