PDA

View Full Version : two-hoo

Jeremy
22-04-2006, 03:11 PM
another trip to Tweed 9 mile for me to get another fix of hoo and give a friend his first crack at them. Trolled lures early and then trolled some live slimies. Not looking good, and 10-12 knots of NW was putting a ripple on the surface making it hard to find the tuna. First tuna at about 8.30 lasted about 40 minutes of trolling before being cut in two, but no hookup. At least they are still there! Went for a run to Fidos to have a look for the first time. Back to the 9 mile and the breeze has died off a little. Found another tuna and hooked up after about 20 minutes. Probably a shark as it didn't run much and bit me off through 58 lb single strand after about 10 minutes. Next tuna lasted only 3 minutes before I was on again and drag was screaming to a good run. Wahoo went 11.2 kg on 10 kg line this time. Now time to get one for Sebastian. His tuna lasted about 10 minutes before it was hit but no hookup...drop back in freespool...taken again...hit it and hook up. Strong fight on 50 lb braid. I had advised him to only use about 4 kg of drag to avoid the hooks pulling or straightening, and it took about 20 minutes to get it boatside. This one went 15.8 kg. Day was getting on so we called it a day and headed back in and got nailed by the storm coming back up the highway too.

Jeremy

Jeremy
22-04-2006, 03:11 PM
mine 11.2

Jeremy
22-04-2006, 03:12 PM
sebastian 15.8. Yes he is happy!

Jeremy
22-04-2006, 03:13 PM
both

no_wind
22-04-2006, 03:58 PM
well done boys, I take it that was friday with the hail in the arvo
looks like you snuck one in b4 the windy weekend.
do you troll your livies in freespool ?
cheers muz

outsiderskip
22-04-2006, 04:12 PM
hi jeremy
A couple nice looking hoos there
good pics

cheers pete

pegasus
22-04-2006, 05:16 PM
Jermey,

:)- "smokin" way to go- great fish

I have said to mate I reckon you'd do well if you could get a ring tone /alarm clock tone like a rachet on reel a screaming- how could a fisherperson resist- sorry back again- my ears where just "audiotising" the screaming of your reels when those wahoo hit.

yep- could you please explain the free spool

best regards,

lew

purplepatch
22-04-2006, 06:33 PM
G'day Jeremy A couple of nice wahoo mate 15.6 is the target hey. Cheers Roy.

redspeckle
22-04-2006, 08:11 PM
Plenty kilos of Wahoo Their Jeremy Well Done [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
great report and good photos as well
Thats another fish like to catch in the future and cross it of my list of fish species to catch list still pretty long ;D
Mitch
C'MON THE COWBOYS in 2006

mono
22-04-2006, 08:20 PM
Great fish Jeremy, well done. For inshore waters I dont think there is a faster fish then the mighty wahoo. Over the past month I have converted many bottom-bashers to at least having a troll to get the reels warmed up before heading out wider. This coming month, May, is normally a pretty hot time for these speedsters, again well done. Yes Sebastian looks pretty happy, and why not, beautiful fish!!

That looks like the perfect gaff shot also.

Hey Lew, already looked into getting an alarm clock made with a ratchet screamin for the alarm but aparently already done!

Cheers

Jeremy
23-04-2006, 12:51 PM
thanks for the replies and feedback. Nothin' like a screaming reel to get the blood pumping ad yes I believe I would wake up pretty quick.

We were trolling the tuna in strike drag or a bit less, but in my very limited experience with these fish, it seems that they will readily come back to take a bait again if they hit it but don't hook up first time. So if we got a hit that cut the bait but missed the hooks, I would stop the boat and freespool the reel with ratchet on and the fish would come back and pick up the crippled tuna. Let it run for a couple of seconds and then engage the drag and hit it!

Jeremy

pegasus
23-04-2006, 04:29 PM
Jeremy,

understand ref the free spool after the strike- thank you

Mono,

dam always too slow :)- I think who ever s got that stuff they need to do a bit more marketing :)

best regards,
lew

kingcobe
23-04-2006, 07:27 PM
:o :o :o :o :o

TIM-DONSELAAR
24-04-2006, 04:10 PM
Well Done Jeremy and Sebastian...nice wahoo's fellas #[smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

cheers tim [smiley=beer.gif]