PDA

View Full Version : Bugman's first Blue

bugman
24-04-2006, 11:28 AM
A quick and late report,

Went out last Thursday with Brooksy, Mackmauler and Ian chasing our first blue marlin. The action was something to behold with Ymer seeing 12, having 10 hits and having 5 hook-ups.

I was lucky enough to be on strike for the only hook-up that stuck. Stand-up 24kg gear had me hurting like hell after 1.5 hours. Sadly the fished fought down deep in 300m of water for the entire fight. It eventually drowned after becoming tailwrapped which was an immense disappointment to all those on board.

Brooksy turned the boat around on Friday (While I was in Tassie) and did it all again with some new crew members. The action was just as hot but the boys were skunked by some real big fish. How many lures am I missing Steve :'(

Let's hope this bite keeps up and we can land a few more.

Brett

bugman
24-04-2006, 11:29 AM
It went 2.35m shortlength which is base of jaw to inside tail.

Very very heavy with 4 of us unable to dead lift it.

Brett

Jeremy
24-04-2006, 11:37 AM
congrats on your first blue Brett. Looks like you had some luck go your way (hookup stuck for you)!

Jeremy

Mick
24-04-2006, 01:45 PM
Funny looking crayfish mate. Just jokes, well done!

Mick

outsiderskip
24-04-2006, 02:30 PM
nice looking blue there brett
but crays taste better

cheers pete

TIM-DONSELAAR
24-04-2006, 02:39 PM
congratulations on your first blue Brett #[smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

cheers tim #:)

kingcobe
24-04-2006, 06:23 PM
:o :o :o :o :oBet it fought hard :o :o :o :o :o

Jay Jay

webby
24-04-2006, 08:41 PM
Took you bloodly long enough to finally do it ;D, and at what cost ;D
Though you were going to invite me out to show you how its done, one trip one sail ;D
Anyway mate Congrats.
regards

Matt_G
24-04-2006, 08:56 PM
Congrats, a nice fish for sure. Did they end up weighing it? This is a fantastic bite, a similar one happened a few years back off the Gold Coast and eventually made its weigh down most of the NSW coast before the current headed east and the fish with it.

It's funny how pulling between 8-12kg for any length of time really starts to hurt :o

Again, congrats and I hope there are many more to come without the badluck.

Regards

Matt

fishingnottake
24-04-2006, 09:17 PM
well done mate, pity that it drowned but at least it went down fighting

the_baker
24-04-2006, 11:50 PM
good onya Bugman top fish mate that will be stuck in the memory banks for a while. :D :D

dave

jeffo
25-04-2006, 07:21 AM
matt- IMO this bite shits all over the bite of 2 years ago. it has lasted around 2 weeks now and there is still a load of fish out there.

mooloolaba tournament wrapped up yesterday arvo, only 14 boat fishing, 4 of those light tackle and there was 51 blues tagged!!! a few boats saw over 20 fish for the weekend. Hopefully it stays a while longer yet.

Matt_G
25-04-2006, 09:46 AM
Jeffo

That is certainly some good fishing. Not that this is a competition ;) but that bite I referred to had many boats out there with double hookups multiple times throughout the day. The difference being that a tournament quantifies it a lot better than a few club boats out there sweating it out. However it ends up, it is still a tremendous session and congrats to the boats and crews in the Tournament.

Matt

jeffo
25-04-2006, 03:07 PM
your not wrong matt...

final results for the tournament were something like

141 strikes, 97 hook ups, 57 tags/captures....these included 51 blue marlin,4 black marlin and 2 yellowfin.

there was also another boat out there yesterday not fishing the tournament that went 3 from 7..including 2 doubles (one double was a blue and a stripe).

From what most are seeing blues have again been raised in 2's and a few cases 3's.

slippery still holds the record for the week with 11 blues from 23 bites last friday.

CamH
25-04-2006, 04:42 PM
Hi Jeff, how close in would you get blues? Why are they so wide out usually?

jeffo
25-04-2006, 05:00 PM
they like the super blue water cam, pretty much restricted to around the shelf and beyond. they dont come in close like the blacks, they like the deep water.

30 mile is about the closest you will get them to here.

reef_king
25-04-2006, 06:15 PM
sounds like awesome fun catching the big blues and well done on your first blue.
I've always had a huge itch to go out and try for blues. Can anyone give me an idea on the how/where to go for them. I only have 24kg tackle will it do the job? Do you troll over particular canyon/reef stucture, work bait schools etc.... any pointers will be much appreciated. And if all goes well i could be out there this weekend in the hot bite ;D ;D ;D

cheers ty.

reef_king
25-04-2006, 06:17 PM
oh, i forgot to mention, will head out from moolooba/cape. Which is best?
thanks

Sportfish_5
25-04-2006, 07:58 PM
Those numbers posted are awesome :o :o :o :o :o

jeffo
26-04-2006, 06:25 AM
reef king- 24 will JUST do on most fish...although like i told bugman, you will have to be back there and on them quickly. no mucking around.

work the edge of the shelf, from 250m out is best. cape is best.

reef_king
26-04-2006, 07:00 AM
jeffo thanks for the info, are you running lures around the 7kn mark and what size the pusshers should be 10/12inces ect?