PDA

View Full Version : Wahootoo!

mono
20-04-2006, 03:18 PM
With the weekend coming soon I thought a few of you workers might like to see what you can expect this weekend. This was two of four caught this morning. Only lost two lures, which is prety good as we were getting double hookups most times with Northern Bluefin tuna mixed amoungst the whoo.
Out wide has also been good with some great pearlies available on most of the wider reefs on Northern NSW, anyway. The curent is still only about a knot, but is fishable with braid.
Anyway have a great weekend and stay safe.
Cheers

indy
20-04-2006, 03:37 PM
Those smiles tell a thousand words heading out tomorrow can't wait

Spaniard_King
20-04-2006, 04:37 PM
Nice one Mono,

how are those 150's going???

Hopefully out chasin them myself... for sport anyway

cheers

Garry

kiljora
20-04-2006, 04:38 PM
Nice Hoo's Mono, Can't wait for my next trip out with you...

P.S. Did you get my email about aranging another trip with you... Just wanted to ask as my computer has been playing up lately..

Cheers Tony

Big_Ren
20-04-2006, 11:05 PM
Great pair of 'hoo Mono. The new boat is well and truly christened now. Keep up the top work and look forward to reading your next article in BNB.

Cheers
Paul ;)

philip_thomson
21-04-2006, 08:06 PM
9 days to go getting excited ;)

kingcobe
21-04-2006, 08:57 PM
top hoo's

Tomcat
22-04-2006, 08:18 PM
G'Day Mono,

I was out Thursday off Ballina and the current down here was running 2.4 to 3 knots, #:o but we still managed to get a feed, though nothing the size of those fish! #I guess when my little Sailfish grows up to be the size of your new rig I will have enough room for those BIG fish. #;D

Yesterday a mate of mine dropped by and mentioned that he and his father in law are going out with you tomorrow, (Sunday) so I hope the weather holds, especially if there are fish like that about! #I'll watch for the photos to show up here in the next couple of days.... # :)

Cheers,

TomCat

mono
22-04-2006, 08:45 PM
Hi Tomcat, unfortunatly the swell is a touch big for me on the bar this arvo so I wont be going tomorrow. There are some lulls between the 6 foot sets but it's not worth the risk.

Mate, any size Sailfish is a good Sailfish, capable of handling large fish, get into em ;)

Thursday we didnt go wide because of the northerly wind so we stayed close and got all those pelagic fish at Julian Rocks ;) (Words out now anyway!)
But Wednesday and Friday we went wide and bagged out on some huge pearlies in bugger all current. What depth were you fishing in? There seemed to be a bit of current in closer but the wider we went the less the current.

Friday actually saw NO current and we fished, well my clients fished, with about 8oz of lead on the 50 fathom reef for another bagout of good pearlies, good snapper and 5 huge traglin (between 6-7kilo each).

Muzz has said the current has been strong off Ballina lately, maybe try going a little wider to get out of it.

Cheers

Tomcat
28-04-2006, 08:06 PM
G'Day Mono,

Pity about the swell. The Ballina RSL Fishing Club was supposed to fish last Sunday but postponed for a week for the same reason.

The current is a strange beast sometimes and can be quite different between Bruns and Ballina due to the way it kicks out toward the shelf and then heads south, as is typically seen on the SST. Yes, we tried fishing wider (as that is our preference when we can) but the current was there as well. :'(

Strange couple of months we have had down this way. The mackerel never showed up in any numbers and the water is cooling off already, so I am not liking our chances at this point. The slimys never made it as well and what dollies have been around the FAD have been quite small compared to what we caught in years gone by. :-/

When does the fishing ban come in for the Julian Rocks area of the new Marine Park? I hear that there was a short extension granted prior to shutting the area down but am not sure when it kicks in. At the rate things are going the only place we will be able to fish is the shelf! >:(

Well, I had better go and get busy on the design for my new long range fuel tanks but keep the reports coming, it is great to see such terrific fish about. :)

Cheers,

TomCat

jackextracter
28-04-2006, 11:10 PM
hey mate are you based at brunswick heads cause me and some mates want to plan a trip as soon as possible thanks

mono
29-04-2006, 03:58 PM
Hi Tomcat, Can you believe how long this swell is hanging around!!
The Cape Byron Marine Park zonings will come into force this Monday 1st May. Will be interesting to see how they plan to mark and enforce it? We have asked and they have no idea. Acording to fisheries, if you hook a fish in the troll zone and it goes into the sancuary zone you basically have to cut it off! If you drift in or follow the hooked fish it is 'illegal to have a fish on the line within the sanctuary zone'.
Should be interesting, particularly when all the extreme greens hang around up at the light house with their bonoculars watching every move!

Jackextracter, yes mate we are based at Brunswick Heads and my web site is at the bottom of my posts.
cheers.

philip_thomson
30-04-2006, 02:17 PM
i hate swell ;D i really really hate swell

kiljora
30-04-2006, 02:27 PM
Hey Phil,
I know what you mean, it took me three attempts to get out with Mono because of the swell and even the day we did get out the swell was alright in the morning (luckily) but was huge by the time we came home. I'm just lucky enough that I live close enough to reschedule with him fairly quickly... Ah well I know he'll get you out there one day Phil...

Cheers Tony