PDA

View Full Version : big blues wide of cape

reef_king
29-04-2006, 10:57 AM
hey guys, its been an interesting week for me with going from catching reefies earlier on in the week to fishing the 2000m+ line east of cape moreton for blue marlin.

The lures were put in at 6.30am, our first strike was a double hook-up at 9.00am but neither managed to solidly hook-up. After working out deep for a few more hours we came in closer and started working the 500m line. On arrival we got a hit that failed to hook-up.Did anthor pass and we were on with a BIG blue hitting the big lure at the back of the boat. It charged off and with 400m of 80pd line a spool job was on the cards.With 45-50pds of drag we were spooled before we could clear the other 2 rods. Over the next hour and a half we got another 5 hook-ups from 5 hits. A 130pd swivel snapped in half after a lengthy fight on an estimated blue of 250-300kilo. The hooks pulled on a smaller blue after 5mins of battle. The next blue had us backing up hard and pushing drag to it limits, the line parted after 10 mins when it went deep only moments from another spool job. The next 2 hook-ups resulted in more thrown hooks. We continued to troll north and got two more hook-ups but failed to stay connected.

We pulled the lures in at 3.00pm and headed for home. It was great to battle with these powerful giants of the sea even if we didn't land any. We had 9 hits, 7 hook-ups, 2 lost lures and 1 teaser that we belive a marlin took, the smallest fish looked maybe in the 100-150kilo range with the big ones much, much bigger. We have caught blacks on light tackle in close before and achieved a much better succsess rate but this was our first time chasing blues, are there ways to give a better solid hook-up? It sure is addictive and i can't wait to get back out.

cheers ty,

outwide1
29-04-2006, 12:02 PM
Hey reefking,i have done a bit heavy tackle myself and one thing ive learnt with chaseing big blues is the hook up rate is a lot less then chaseing light tackle blacks.As an example we went 10.6.1 in the last heavy tackle tournement,i was in the chair several times but no fish was tagged until smitthy got into a nice blue which was in and tagged within 15min lucky bugger.What size boat were you?There are a few ways to increase hook ups with blues as they attack a lure differently then a black.Possitioning of the hooks is important as is the hook being very sharp.Another trick to do is use waxed thread in the inside of the lure to position the hooks.The best person to go and a chat with would be my good friend raffy at doug berts tackle world as he is a very nological person when it comes to this subject.I look forward to areply reefking.TIGHT LINES OUTWIDE1.

jeffo
29-04-2006, 04:49 PM
250-300 kilo....thats as big, if not the biggest i have heard of in this bite so far.

reef_king
29-04-2006, 05:34 PM
outwide1,
we fish out of a 7m coastal cat. The lures are 2 hook rigs and the last hook point is just on the edge of the skirt. Do you think 1 hook rigs are the better choice/trolling livies/baits?
jeffo, i'm no expert in the field of blue marlin and as this was our first time out the fish could be smaller, but having caught black marlin to 80kg and many blue throughout the day this fish was very,very big. We got a good look at this fish as it stayed on the surface and jumped many times right beside the boat, it was fat and long and from looking at pictures i would put it well over 200kg. The fish that spooled us the first time i also think would be similar sized to this fish.

reef_king
29-04-2006, 05:44 PM
here is some pics the picture is real bad as they were taken on the phone.

reef_king
29-04-2006, 05:45 PM
another pic

outwide1
29-04-2006, 06:21 PM
There is a little debate about the use of double hook rigs or single.One that particular tournement we were using alot of single hook rigs which i thought was the reason for dropping so many fish,but when we returned and speaking to amate who was useing double hooks dropped as many fish as we did.Welcome to blue marlin fishing!Some one good on the stiks or control of the boat helps too.Im certain you will go back as it is very addioctive.

choppa
29-04-2006, 08:25 PM
reef king,,, if i had something that big jump that close to my boat,,,,,,,,time for a bigga boat ;D ;D ;D,,, even though pics are from phone,,,nice looking beast mate

choppa

kingcobe
29-04-2006, 11:03 PM
:o :o :o :o :o250 - 300 kgs holy cr@p that is one big marlin :o :o :o :o :o. I've seen them that big books but not around this area.

Jay Jay

SHARKY
30-04-2006, 03:02 AM
Not saying anything against Raff :) but if he is such a legend fisherman then why does he work in a tackle shop ;)

Grand_Marlin
30-04-2006, 01:49 PM
It will be interesting to see what Jeffo says...

I would call it 220 - 250.

It is very thick through the shoulders...

Cheers

Pete

outwide1
30-04-2006, 09:05 PM
Thats very contradictive of you SHARKY, its raffys dicision where he works and maybe he loves fishing that much he has made it his job.I certainly dont want to start some silly crap but he is a good friend who does in this case have a fare bit of knowledge when it comes to billfish,he also will be the first to tell you he doesnt know it all!Its apitty these sites were full of so much critizem and crap as we all can help one another as people like raffy are preparred to do which is hard to find these days.He certainly isnt doing his job for the money!!Any way thats all i have to say and look forward to more and more fishing reports,tight lines.

Smithy
02-05-2006, 06:50 AM
Mick,

good to see you here. If you thought that weekend on Bart was insane you should get your boat out to this bite happening off Cape Moreton.

Rob