PDA

View Full Version : Mackay Fishing

WBarra
20-04-2006, 08:57 AM
I am going to Mackay to fish at the end of June. Has anyone fished up there and what type of fish would I catch. Is this a good time to fish up there.

Fishin_Dan
21-04-2006, 08:01 AM
I fished the Pioneer River up near the hospital (Hospital Bridge). Caught trevally & a good sized Grunter. There are Barra there too as I heard them boofing, and saw one hooked & jump. There's also apparently very good Jacks.

There's a wicked current that rips through there, so if using plastics, look at 1/8Oz & 1/4Oz jigheads. If it's king tides you may need 1/2Oz... The 3-4" Stick Baits should work well.

If using bait, then live bait is better. Get a cast net and grab a bunch of livies. Put a hook or two in them, and throw em out. It may take a while, but it should get smashed!

Best of luck and post the report! :D

WBarra
21-04-2006, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the details Dan I am looking forward to going to MACKAY and I will post the report #:)when I return in early July

Mundi-itis
27-04-2006, 03:26 PM
Good day mate, winter is a good time for whiting, bream and flathead in mackayyou can fish right in the middle of Mackay in the pioneer river, just cross over the inner bridge to the north side and turn right you can drive right out to the mouth with care 4wd to get all the way, you can pump yabbies there and if you walk out at low tide and fish the run in you will catch fish, just watch the tide as it is fast and can get around behind you, I have caught some big flathead using whole small dead mullet unweighted just cast and slowly wind in. Also have a look under the resturant over the river at night worth a feed to see the salmon and tarpon in the lights.

;)

krazyfisher
01-05-2006, 08:40 AM
where is mackay will you be fishing? shore? boat?

shano
01-05-2006, 08:49 AM
where is mackay ,will you be fishing? shore? boat?

Mackay is up north! towards cairns! ;D

Wilson
02-05-2006, 09:44 AM
Where is Mackay!!!! are you serious!!!!, but getting back to locations there, so many options, the pioneer is great ask the locals about the "V", good barra as well as the occasional jack at that time of year as well as your bread and butter species. Half an hour south of mackay to sarina, great estuarine fishing there, thats all i will say. At the harbour you can chase mackeral, queenies take your pick. Head to the waters around seaforth, which is a short trip north of mackay for more! So much good ground there you won't want to leave!!

young_mind
02-05-2006, 11:30 AM
:) me going Mackay in June Queen's birthday weekend to support Qld deaf rugby league V NSW Deaf RL as sponsor Mackay junior RL provide oval all welcome #to watch game. While going there for weekend will try some fishy there too #;)