PDA

View Full Version : What? You forgot the gaff?

Fixation
15-04-2006, 10:36 PM
Well we were all privileged again with the weather on Saturday to go outside and play in the wild blue yonder. It was a big group hug family trip with my parents and bro. A lot of old family stories surfaced and caning went on which helped us pass the several fishless hours we initially experienced.
The sun dipped in the sky and we anchored and shifted several times before coming to lay rest on a nice show. The moon surfaced over the horizon and mum hooked up on a fish that looked decent. Then all hell broke loose. Her live fibre just doubled over and line spewed from it like a man in a gray suit had just arrived for dinner. After a few runs the fish settled down and I had to assist mum with the capture. This wasn't going to be a short battle. I grabbed the rod and started laying into the fish but it didn't seem to turn like I wanted it to. Several more runs and I thought for sure it would have smoked me around a bommie but it's head turned and I managed to start making some ground on it. Finally after a long battle and having no gimble on for most of the fight, my fork bruised and sweat pouring from my forehead the fish finally surfaced. He was big and ugly. The big estuary cod lay there. He was totally spent on his side looking at all these weirdos peering at him over the side. Not sure of the weight but someone (dad) had decided to take the gaff out in the tinney crabbing the other day and forgot to put it back in the big boat. So we shimmied the head of this big beast into the landing net and prayed we could lift him in. After a quick struggle we swung him into the boat and had him laying on the floor ready for a photo. Couple of shots were taken (No I didn't hit him with the bat either in the photo) and we swung him over the side and pieced his swim bladder and sent him on his way.
Morale in the boat changed from fish less depression to laughter and jokes as the bite heated up over the next 2 hours. Mainly coralies were hitting the deck and no one complained. Bro hooked up to a nice cobe and battled it in after a nice little fight. Not having caught one of these he thought that it was a mutant remora when it surfaced. Another smaller cod, parrot and a few moses and more coralies continued to hit the deck amongst the large number of under size reds.

Legs started to tire (on the older folk) after being out in the nice ground swell and the call was made to head home about 9pm. Leaving them on the bite but feeling like we had a great trip. Cruised home in reasonable conditions. Heard many ausfishers on the 2 way as well. Hope everyone has had a great easter. The weather certainly has been kind to us all.

Fixation
15-04-2006, 10:37 PM
watch your feet here he comes

Fixation
15-04-2006, 10:38 PM
big sucker

Fixation
15-04-2006, 10:40 PM
gob

Fixation
15-04-2006, 10:41 PM
Few of the many released.

Fixation
15-04-2006, 10:43 PM
Cobe

Fixation
15-04-2006, 10:44 PM
couple of sweeties.

Fixation
15-04-2006, 10:46 PM
Here comes dinner....

TIM-DONSELAAR
15-04-2006, 11:11 PM
good haul there Fixation...that cod is massive #[smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

maybe you should buy your dad his own gaff for easter #;D ;D

cheers tim #:)

outsiderskip
16-04-2006, 06:24 AM
nise hall fixation
that a nice cod hope a few more spangles turn up soon
nice feed for the oldies for easter were u out on the banks

cheers pete

StevenM
16-04-2006, 06:59 AM
That is one big fat cod, Nice haul of fish too

cheers

steven

uripper
16-04-2006, 08:11 AM
Fixation
Congrats on careful handling & release of the cod though they are one tough critter - seems the gods smiled on you after that -
MalM

Fixation
16-04-2006, 08:43 AM
Hey outsiderskip,

We were a long way from the banks. Time was against us this trip so we couldn't go out as far as we wanted. ;)

revs57
16-04-2006, 09:19 AM
Good pics Craig,

Nice lipper, and big Cod...gee they pull hard hey

You are living proof the legend of ugliness continues...that its the ugly blokes that get the Babes ;D ;D ;D...great to meet Naomi at the ramp yesterday arv

If you need a fish fix before the big day give me a call and I'll see what we can arrange

Cheers

Rhys

Fixation
16-04-2006, 02:44 PM
Hey rhys,

No problem mate. Good to meet you at the ramp yesterday. Mate you guys did alright too. Yeah the big day is looming in now. Least she understands the importance of getting out on the water. It is true about the women. I still don't know how I caught her. You know what they say about fishing - "It's all luck"

Anyway hope all is well.

I'll keep in touch.

kingcobe
17-04-2006, 07:16 PM
That is one big mudda of a cod.

once my dad (kingtin) caught a 48pounder in morteon bay

Jay Jay

whiteshark48
18-04-2006, 05:29 PM
Craig,
you are truly a legend, I have never seen a Cod so huge, and not using the gaff.
What about the red? Did you get that, or your Mum, heard she is a great fisherwoman.
You know once you get married all this will come to an end, goldfish for you good buddy.
cya at the wedding.
ray

fatboyfishing
18-04-2006, 06:21 PM
Mate it is good to see that can still catch the big stuff .
bruce is looking a bit white #:o
mate i can't wait for your wedding it should be good i may get a chance to tell all the brisy mod just what your like.

Anne-T-Dote
18-04-2006, 08:40 PM
G'day Craig,

What an awesome session - that cod is HUGE - well done.

Was good to meet you the other day too.

Cheers,

Rob.

mat_anderson04
04-05-2006, 07:53 PM
nice cod there 8-)

blue-mako
04-05-2006, 09:20 PM
im surprised the cod didnt get thru the leader with those teeth :P..... but do cod even have swim bladders??? :o looks like he was caught on squid???

cheers, troy

Big_Ren
04-05-2006, 09:41 PM
Top yarn Fixation. Great to see a family that fishes together. Despite the cheap swipes it's all in good fun.

Congrats
Paul :)