PDA

View Full Version : News Flash. – Fish caught somewhere other than Bar

essky
07-05-2006, 08:37 PM
With the great weather forecast, we thought a trip to Barwon Banks would be in order for an overnighter on Friday night. However , once we got underway the car started overheating. With the forecast to good to ignore, we decided to take the boat to the nearest water (Brisbane River) and just go fishing.

We decided on a plan to fish some spots on Caloundra Wide on the Friday night, and then head East in the morning to get amongst the run of Blue Marlin off the Cape. So several extra fuel cans were thrown in so we could make the trip.

Turned up to our marks about 6:00pm Friday night. Not much action on sounder, so did a few experimental drifts eventually finding some good shows of fish.

By 8:00 we had bagged out on Pearl Pearch., So we upped anchor and moved to another spot…. More Pearl Perch.. Moved again… More pearlies. Eventually stopped fishing as we could catch nothing else. Cooked up a feed of you guessed it, Pearl perch, and called it a night.

Woke up in the morning, dropped down a bait. More pearl perch, so decided to move to deeper water. Went to a spot in 100m of water. Don and I had our baits down and nothing was happening for about 20 minutes, Then Don had a good bite and hooked up. 2 Seconds later I also hooked up. Thinking we had come across another school of pearl perch, we both began the long retrieve to the top. When I got my fish to the top, I realized I also had Dons line. Then looked in the fishes mouth and realized that it had taken both our baits, and as a result, we were now the proud owners of some strange looking cod creature. A postive ID on the fish would be good.

Gave up then and went wide. Trolled for several hours, but was very quiet for us. As a consolation, the dolphins out there put on a great show for us.

Great weather and feed of fish, so cannot ask for more.

essky
07-05-2006, 08:44 PM
Can sombody ID the Cod..

essky
07-05-2006, 08:48 PM
Fire on moreton on way home

TIM-DONSELAAR
07-05-2006, 09:36 PM
nice catch there guys...Well Done [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

cheers tim ;)

Clint06
07-05-2006, 09:51 PM
Looks like a bar cod to me - good eating at that size.

outwide1
07-05-2006, 10:04 PM
Thats defintly a bar cod essky,caught alot of them in about 140m of water before.They live in depths of 100m and more.Top catch you got there anyway.Weldone!!

Smithy
08-05-2006, 06:51 AM
Yep it is Bar Cod Troy. Mick these were the guys I was talking to while we were cleaning the boat.

scoota
08-05-2006, 09:18 AM
Yea Essky, lots of pearlies atm at Wide C but quality can be found. Nice catch [smiley=thumbup.gif]
Scoota

outsiderskip
08-05-2006, 05:50 PM
nice catch there
well done

cheers pete

Big_Ren
08-05-2006, 08:19 PM
Top pics, top report. Those bar cod are sensational on the plate I'm told.

Cheers
Paul :)