PDA

View Full Version : 32.6kg Vermin - they pull hard but which species

Deelirious
03-05-2006, 10:41 AM
I was thinking about that suggestion by the animal welfare lobby groups to hook the dog or cat up to the fishing rod and see how they go. Well after a long fishing trip with no fish I got home, looked at the pooch and thought "that’s one tough looking 32.6kg mutt, I bet he can pull" so I baited up the old tld 20 with 50lb mono - plenty of stretch. Strapped in the harness and tossed it out. Well that hungry pooch grabbed it and ran but of course that’s where it all went pear shaped - foul hooked through the nose and all responsible fishos know that you can't keep foul hooked catch so of course I released him. But...
Because I wasn't intending catch and release, I mean look at those hind quarter steaks, I wasn't using barbless hooks soo... I did the next best thing and cut the hook off as close as possible and left it hangin there. Apparently those stainless steel hooks only take about 10 - 15 years to rust out shouldn't be a problem.

You should have heard the drag on that tld howl!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deelirious
03-05-2006, 10:46 AM
I can't believe noone has suggested this before, they get so much more traction on bitumen roads than fish get in the water.

Anne-T-Dote
03-05-2006, 10:57 AM
;D ;D ;D ;D

Oh ED, that's GOLD - PURE GOLD.... ;D

Jokes aside though, Poor Ned, it must've hurt. He doesn't seem too bothered by it in the pics though.

I'm glad he's now OK. Hope the vet's bill wasn't too big.

BrandonH
03-05-2006, 11:12 AM
Poor vermin!! Lol i am suprised you got a still shot of him!! my dads dog (blue heelier) decided it liked one of the barra lures that was rigged up, well after getting 2 barbs in her nose and another 2 in her front poor she was quite upset!! we had to chase her and the rod all over the house to stop her and try and calm her down :( we cut the hooks and ended up having quite a big vet bill as the barbs worked there way up her leg!! must admit she dosn't go for lures anymore ;)

Cheers
Brandon.

3Vs
03-05-2006, 11:13 AM
Are you sure that it was the drag that was howling. I have hooked a 40kg Rotty / Mastiff cross before but I was only fishing light (bait jig) and couldn't really get stuck into it. [smiley=oops.gif]

Gbanger
03-05-2006, 11:20 AM
my dog did a similar thing, was a clean thin gauge hook.. didnt need a visit to the vet...

wessel
03-05-2006, 01:42 PM
There is no way that I am getting my hands close to those canines to try and cut the hook.

unless you stun them with the "priest" over the head first ::)

W

isaac
03-05-2006, 06:42 PM
Thats a classic Ed ;D ;D ;D ;D Your doin well this year, a 105kg Homo Sapien and then a 32.6kg Canine. Keep up the good work. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

thedeckie
03-05-2006, 07:17 PM
Poor buggers,scares the crap out of them I know that!!!

Had the same thing happen to my dog late last year,was out the back pulling out rods and leaning them against a chair,one of the rods had a bait jig on it and my dog has run under the chair and copped one of the hooks straight through the nose.

Wasn't that funny at the time,especially with the dog dragging my brand new Shimano bait caster across the concrete and scratching the hell out of it!

Did the same thing cut the hook pulled it out all was good and not a drop of blood.

Never did get around to weighing him!!!!!

Cheers
Paul

Deelirious
03-05-2006, 09:17 PM
Yeah guys,
It did give him a fright a first and the TLD got dragged across the concrete base of the carport and lost some paint but once he calmed down I don't think it was hurting him that much. I managed to cut it free from the line and remove the soft plastic leaving only the hook and a short length of line (in case I needed the extra grip). Once it was free of the rod we tried to get a hold of it but he wasn't keen on that so we called the vet for sedation. Holding onto him for the needle was harder than I thought but both the vet and I walked away with all of our fingers!

Ed

Deelirious
03-05-2006, 09:24 PM
Ben,
Only 105kg homo sapien? This is why I'm so concerned about this CSIRO thing its ruining my world record - 1xHOMO sapien 115kg on 10kg line - fought it for hours but to no avail eventually pulled the hooks but it still counts since it was finally in the boat at the time.
I'm not sure whats next on the list but if it's from this family I'm in big trouble!
Ed

mat_anderson04
04-05-2006, 07:10 PM
mate if herd those dog fish are good eating cna t belive you let him goo hahaha jks man poor thing

chrees ando

craigie
04-05-2006, 07:19 PM
"Dadda, what dat sharp ting" ???

The Bub may not be speaking yet, but you get the picture !!

Showed the crew here in the office the pic, let's say the pooch got plenty of sympathy.
Thought I had a scoop for Malcolm.D, but he had already seen it :)

Cheers mate,

Craig.

willfish
05-05-2006, 01:08 PM
ouch! our cattleX got a 5/0 stuck on the inside of her lip, in the end we had to push it all the way through and then cut the eye offa the thing. apart from that she was fine.

wayne_cook
05-05-2006, 05:59 PM
was he netted or gaffed

Grand_Marlin
05-05-2006, 08:31 PM
Did you get the tag in??

liltuffy
06-05-2006, 05:55 PM
Mate, if you fair dinkum planned to hook your dog up because you got no fish, your a knuckhead, if it was an accident take back my first statement.

black_sheep
12-05-2006, 01:12 PM
Another twist on this, my brother was casting home made lures in the pool to test the action. My dog (55kg Shepherd) loves anything in the pool so we always lock him indoors when conducting lure tests. Unfortunately, someone opened the door just as my brother cast his lure out. Tyson raced out of the house and smashed the lure just as it hit the surface :-?(would have been better on a popper). Anyway trebles forund there way into his nose. Although my brother was tempted to set the hooks ;D, he refrained and instead raced over to subdue the dog as he exited the pool. What eventuated was the dog trashing around enough for the rear set of trebles to embed themselves into my brothers ear :'( while the front set was still attached to the dog. Luckily, this only lasted a few seconds and somehow the trebles attached to Tyson's nose came out but in the process, drove the rear set through my brotehrs ear resulting in 4 stitches ;D - one to the dog.

White_Steenbras
15-05-2006, 10:58 PM
ouch!!!!