PDA

View Full Version : crab's,crays and snapper

finding_time
09-05-2006, 10:35 AM
As everyone knows friday weather was looking awesome so with that in mind and the fact that all of Ausfish was planning a barwons M/G the brother i #decided to combine a crabing trip with a swim and fish to make the most of the 1.40c/pl we had to pay for fuel. :'( We left scarbrough at miday and dropped #the crabpots in around the pearl channel. Some of the pots were placed in about 6meters but due to info supplyied by Cragie ( thankyou) we placed 3 pots in water that was about 20 meters deep Then settled back for a brilliant run to the cape and a look for livies and a bit of likely terain for a swim.

We doned mask and fins and with torch in hand entered the water just on dusk and 80 minutes later had a very nice feed of crays :D so then it was off to tempest. This is the part of the plan that i was a little concerned about as by the time we had left the water and made it to tempest the moon was well and truely falling and the major bite period gone! Spot X was as always covered in good shows and 2 hours later we had our limit so the earlier worry was unfounded ( i love it when a plan comes together) All that was left was the 2 hour very cold run back to the ramp and colecting the pots. The shallow pots contained literally hundreds of three spots and not knowing the size limit ( i now know there is know size limit) we kept the biggest 15 but it was the three deep pots that really produced and we had 20 good sized sandies added to the bucket ,all in all a great haul!! It made for the best sunday lunch i've had in very long time. ;)

Ian

Heres my share of the catch!!!! :D

Argle
09-05-2006, 10:40 AM
Cant complain about that mate, puts a five star restaraunt seafood platter to shame! Bloody good effort well done...mmm I can nearly taste those crays too.

Cheers and beers
Scott

-spiro-
09-05-2006, 11:35 AM
Now thats a well layed out plan Ian 8-) i might need you to set me up with one to :o

Az
09-05-2006, 11:53 AM
great feed mate, your killing me here!!
the 3 spots are nice and sweet aren't they! much like the sandies

well done!

bo_sawyer
09-05-2006, 12:42 PM
great effort! what a feed that is, only thing missing is the prawns, but i guess you cant complain can you ;D

Slient
09-05-2006, 12:55 PM
That's top and Good haul
well done

Silent

Spectre
09-05-2006, 01:00 PM
Awesome effort there lads.....thats one hell of seafood smorgasboard u put together. :) :)
Sometimes it pays to stick with the 'Plan'. ;)

What other critters did u bump into in the dark down there.....???
If ya spotted any nastys ......I suppose u could just turn your torch off. ;D ;D

Cheers
Phil

browndog
09-05-2006, 03:34 PM
awesome mixed bag there ian.Thinking about chaseing some crays at fraser during the comp if i can muster up the courage to swim with sharks.
browndog :) :)

finding_time
09-05-2006, 03:40 PM
awesome mixed bag there ian.Thinking about chaseing some crays at fraser during the comp if i can muster up the courage to swim with sharks.
# #browndog :) :)

There is PLENTY of crays to be had at fraser and they are in very shallow water close to the beach!!!

browndog
09-05-2006, 03:46 PM
looks like i am going swimming. :)

finding_time
09-05-2006, 03:50 PM
Brown dog

Think coffee rock ;)

browndog
09-05-2006, 03:59 PM
thanks ian i have a good idea where they are its just the man in the grey suit that concerns me.
Do you need a hook to retrive these critters or just a glove.
michael :)

crosso
09-05-2006, 04:02 PM
Sounds like your in the know. Drop the pots, spear the crays, snar some snapps.Congrates on your catch,maybe I should learn more about spearfishing,seems everybodys doin it ? ;D ;D ;D

Jeno
09-05-2006, 05:57 PM
Hi Ian.
What sort of water depth do you find the crays in.
Thanks Stephen

GBC
10-05-2006, 02:25 PM
good catch mate, done well mate, hope they tasted good mate, you're the greatest of all time mate

finding_time
10-05-2006, 04:22 PM
good catch mate, done well mate, hope they tasted good mate, you're the greatest of all time mate

Your very witty mate!! your very funny mate!! Last time i share my crays and crabs with you mate ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

devocean
10-05-2006, 07:44 PM
Sorry to drown the party but did you know it is illegal to hunt or spear underwater with a torch very big fine

finding_time
11-05-2006, 11:29 AM
Really did i say torch must have been a typo!! :-[

I didn't know about the torch i just thought collecting a marine species with a breathing apparatus other than snorkle was illegal. eg scuba

GBC
11-05-2006, 11:42 AM
Is that why the crays tasted just a little sweeter than usual??? :-X :-X

finding_time
11-05-2006, 12:20 PM
Sorry to drown the party but did you know it is illegal to hunt or spear underwater with a torch very big fine

Devocean

Just read the epa fishing guide and the only prohibation is the use of speargun with underwater breathing appartus other than snorkle. Where did you get your info about the torch as i can find no mention and i would really like to find out the facts!!

I went to
www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb

page 25

Ian

devocean
11-05-2006, 03:39 PM
Straight from the fish inspectors mouth. Spearfishing is pretty big up here and I have been told a few times because I keep a underwater torch in the boat. I used to dive with a underwater LED headlamp know they are the go really good

finding_time
11-05-2006, 03:43 PM
Next time you see a inspector could you ask him where it's written because i've just read every piece of regulation on spearfishing and there is no mention of torches . I think the inspector might be a little full of it!

Ian

Hot off the press!!

Just rang the boating and fisheries patrol, Devocean strap on that torch!! the guy i spoke to said that its is fine to use a torch and that the next time this guy tell you it's wrong get his name and ring fisheries so he can be informed of the rules.. ;)

DougHanning
12-05-2006, 12:19 PM
Both of you guys are right, spearfishing with a torch is permitted in waters other than that in the great barrier reef marine park. If you look at the zoning maps for any of the areas in the gbrmp it says "
limited spearfishing means fishing with a spear or speargun, not using:
(a) a powerhead; or
(b) a firearm; or
(c) a light; or
(d) underwater breathing apparatus other than a
snorkel;
in accordance with any limitations prescribed in the
Regulations."
This is what they term as "limited spearfishing"
If you look at the zoning map for the moreton bay marine park for example it does not give an exact definition of what type of spearfishing is allowed and instead relies on the fisheries act which specifies only that a snorkel is used and a powerhead can only be used in defense against a shark.
Personally I think moving to another location is a far more sensible reaction to agressive attention from a shark than killing it for following its natural instincts.
Nice crays Ian. I pulled another bunch on Sunday including one almost 2.5kg.
Cheers all Doug

Mick
12-05-2006, 01:17 PM
Was going to mention the torch thing too, but now I can just say congratulations on a nice feed!

finding_time
13-05-2006, 02:29 PM
Doug

Thanks for all that info! I had a bit of trouble finding anything on th subject, typical of regulations, complicated and difficult to understand

Ian

the_bomber
14-05-2006, 04:59 PM
[quote author=finding_time link=1147135006/0#0 date=1147134934] i #decided to combine a crabing trip with a swim and fish to make the most of the 1.40c/pl we had to pay for fuel. :'

Dry your eyes Ian. What did you use? Must have been about 20 litres in your miser.

the_bomber
14-05-2006, 05:04 PM

;D ;D ;D I think I will sell the Beige Baby and just wait for the invite to Ian's smorgasboard.

White_Steenbras
16-05-2006, 03:07 PM
Great seafood fiesta there mate, a nice white with it, mmmm :P