PDA

View Full Version : The kids ate my bait!

Burley_Boy
15-05-2006, 09:50 PM
This is a report in good ol Kingtin heart and spirit.

We went out Sunday morning with hopes of Wahoo and a possibility of Snapper.
A mark on the 24's of the Gold Coast that I knew held bait (find me one that doesn't at the moment) and we anchored up in 45M of water.
The paternosters and bottom bashers didn't seem to do much but I wasn't there for that. Out went the floaters and then we jigged forbait. The Yakkas were absolutely huge and the slimies not bad so out they went with a combination of wire and wire/mono rigs.
It was not too long and we got hammered, the sound of a TSS4 or a TLD25 screaming under load is just the thing to wake you up.
We lost plenty of livies to solid hits and plenty of rigs that left us rerigging in conditions that turned the decky slightly green (not bad actually)
I lost count of the amount of lost fish off solid hits but boated was a few large sucker fish (0.8 to 1M), they look like cobes in the water so I was quite happy for a while, my book says not eaten so they were all let go when I got home Grants says they're quite decent fillets. What I can say is that they suck to the deck quite well. Apparently the Aborigines used to use them to hunt tutles by tying a rope to their rear fin...
Anyway the paternoster collected a small shark that hit the esky as did a few tailor and a bunch of butter bream. An 8kg Mac tuna tested my knots and all other takers ripped my 40lb leaders to shreds. Kept the Tuna though.
Anyway the end of the day had us heading home with a feed of Tailor, flake and Butter Bream that the kids found nice (they preferred the Bream...) Today I pulled out a Chinese bamboo steamer ($14) and blanched a bit of the 8kg Mac Tuna before putting it in the steamer. This is my bait and my Rotty had already happily downed a kilo or two with the cat getting its share and now it was the kids turn...
The kids asked for more and said this was the best fish. Now I figure that I can keep them in private schools if they just keep eating my bait. So what do you say, feed the kids the bait and everyone is happy?
Personally I'd say the Mac Tuna tasted just like the canned John west Tuna and thus prefer other stuff but heck they actually asked for more and stuffed themselves #on my Snapper bait. Go figure. :)
Sorry no pickes as the camera is on the blink but it was a great day on the water with sucker fish and unknown reefies being tossed back while the dolphins circled the boat. ahhh

Jim_Byrne
15-05-2006, 10:27 PM
Remind them of that story at their 21st Birthday party or wedding. I'd love to see it!

cheers

Jim

JustOneMore
16-05-2006, 08:10 AM
Sounds like a good time had by all. Can't ask for much more than that!

Brejen
16-05-2006, 08:22 AM
Good on them B/B. Dont start to worry till they start to eat the SP's. :o

MAte maybe we should get a BBQ happening so the poor buggers can have some food hey ;D.

Brett

Burley_Boy
16-05-2006, 06:06 PM
Yeah mate sounds good.
Speaking of SP's I finally had a bit of a play the other day when I couldn't get offshore. Only had heavy gear so I didn't notice the hit but I got my first plastic absolutely shredded. 4x big teethmarks like from a large snapper but this was up at Kalinga bank so buggered if I know what it could have been. I kept the plastic as a souvenir I mean I almost got one on a rubber ;D

skippa
16-05-2006, 09:32 PM
G'Day BB,

Great read mate, when I first started reading it I thought u'd fed ur kids squid ... ;D

we'll have to get together and do an offshore run for some snaps ...
give your kids something decent to eat .... ;) ;D

Maybe that was a Tailor that had a go at ur plastic, caught a few of them around Peel before..

Cheers,
Tony 8-)